• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

What about drafting Hundley ?

RamsFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hundley looked better running the ball than passing but has alot of potential. With a year of development as backup, he could become a good starting QB in NFL. Do the Rams select him if he is available when they pick in the 2nd Round ?

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,056.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to be good eventually, but I think it takes him a few seasons and the right coaches to get him to develop into the player he could be one day.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Petty in the 3rd will be a better fit and I also think Hundley will not be there when we draft at 2.10, but if he was there and they picked him I would not be upset. :nod:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope its either one in the second and third rounds knowing our track record of bizarreness in the first round.

Red_Chaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only if bruce arians is the qb coach, cuz we got squat

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We don't have time to waste right now. Our defense is stellar right now and we need to take advantage of that by performing on the offensive side of the ball. We are in win now mode and developing a QB would not be a step forward. I hope the Rams resign Davis over Hill.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hundley looked better running the ball than passing but has alot of potential. With a year of development as backup, he could become a good starting QB in NFL.
The problem I have with this logic is that it is exactly what people were saying last year when Hundley decided to stay in college. He didnt get any better with another year to develop.

He DNA might just be as a runner and a one-read QB. Like Vince Young.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope the Rams resign Davis over Hill.

I hope the Rams let them BOTH walk and sign either Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Matt Barkley or even Matt Schaub to be the backup. Then draft either Hundley,Petty,Grayson or Mannion to be the understudy. I sure as hell like the look of that more than Bradford,Davis,Gilbert or Bradford,Hill,Gilbert

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which is why I think Petty with 3.10 will be a better value than Hundley at 2.10

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope the Rams let them BOTH walk and sign either Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Matt Barkley or even Matt Schaub to be the backup.
Jake Locker is basically a roll out, one read or run kind of QB. Nothing wrong with his athletic ability or his decision making but his accuracy has always been bad. Always. The only way he'll be successful is if he has a guy like Gronk or Megatron to pull 50/50 balls down. Locker also gets hurt about as often as Bradford.

Ponder? Barkley? MATT FREAKIN SCHAUB? Lets not get crazy.

RamCub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the front office decides that actually drafting another quarterback might be a good idea, I would be aggressive and not hope that Petty will still be there waiting for us when our pick comes up in the 3rd round. It would be horrible to have him picked a couple of spots before our turn to select!

williewilliejuan

Giant Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not convinced Hundley will ever be a good NFL QB. He's done well in college, primarily by exploiting undisciplined defenses with his running. NFL defenses won't be as accommodating. His passing accuracy is a concern as is his tendency to hold the ball waaay too long.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Locker is basically a roll out, one read or run kind of QB. Nothing wrong with his athletic ability or his decision making but his accuracy has always been bad. Always. The only way he'll be successful is if he has a guy like Gronk or Megatron to pull 50/50 balls down. Locker also gets hurt about as often as Bradford.

Ponder? Barkley? MATT FREAKIN SCHAUB? Lets not get crazy.

Ya I don't like any of those guys either! KSU , you don't want Davis back, but Schaub threw pick 6's in 4 straight games with Houston and lost his job, then went to Oakland and looked horrible when he did come in for their rookie QB. Minnesota has struggled to find a QB for years also, but Ponder couldn't stick with them? Barkley had a decent "college" career, nothing special there? locker, as Clayton says, similar to Bradford, both get hurt, and both have done nothing!

Again, I really don't know what the answer is, there is not much out there, and to hear how high everyone on here is for this or that QB most of that is unrealistic, any rookie QB is going to have a uphill battle and more miss than hit, just like at our golden boy! MISS!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is any question if the guy might or might not make it the rams would be stupid to spend a 1st or 2nd rd pick on a QB. They are close to winning now! Put 3 more quality starters on this team with the first 3 picks. If Sam doesn't work out we will be free and clear of his contract in 16 and will have a very good team for who ever the QB will be then. we could be very aggressive with all of our picks available and move up and get a QB if necessary. or with sam's contract gone we will have money for the FA market will be way better then this year. those first 3 picks need to be on the field!! sign locker, glenen or don't laugh but Sanchez i think could do ok. cheap, good arm game manager and is healthy. Where is Rex Grossman???

Last edited by a moderator:

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope the Rams let them BOTH walk and sign either Jake Locker, Christian Ponder, Matt Barkley or even Matt Schaub to be the backup. Then draft either Hundley,Petty,Grayson or Mannion to be the understudy. I sure as hell like the look of that more than Bradford,Davis,Gilbert or Bradford,Hill,Gilbert

Personally, I think Hill or Davis are both still better options than any free agent QB available this year (if Gilbert isn't already gone, he should be). One (not both) of them should be kept on board, IMO. I honestly don't care which one either. They both have their merits and neither will be the #1 option, either way.

Let's face it... neither stands a chance at beating out a healthy Sam Bradford. But, with their knowledge of the system, Brian Quick actually in the lineup and an upgraded interior line, either makes for a more than capable stop-gap/third-stringer behind whichever legitimate QB prospect we (hopefully) select.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never said I did not necessarily want Davis back, I would be ok with him being the backup to Bradford and also having a 3rd round QB like Petty pushing him. As for a guy like Locker or Ponder, I agree about Locker and the injury issue. Maybe the wrong guy. Ponder, however, I think got a raw deal in Minnesota. He was picked too early, had way too much pressure put on him and he fell on his face. I think with a change of scenery and no pressure, he will be a very capable #2 in this league. Better than Hill for sure.

But, all things considered, no matter who they bring in we MUST draft a QB in the 3rd round. That is the place to do it. Whether it is ends up being Petty,Grayson,Carden or Mannion, that is the spot. Linemen with the first 2 picks, QB in the 3rd, OLB in the 5th and DB in the 7th. Only change I would make is if Beasley or Thompson falls to us at #10, we take them. Then Reese Dismuskes in round 2, Petty in 3, Derrick Malone OLB from Oregon in the 5th and a DB in the 7th.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ponder, however, I think got a raw deal in Minnesota. He was picked too early, had way too much pressure put on him and he fell on his face. I think with a change of scenery and no pressure, he will be a very capable #2 in this league. Better than Hill for sure.
Raw deal? Teams 100% sold out on stopping Peterson worse than when the Rams had Steven Jackson. Almost every throw Ponder made was with all of his WRs in one on one coverage.

Ponder's flaw is his arm strength. He is on par with Jimmy Clausen, imo. A pure backup with no hope to ever be a starter.

I like Locker better than the rest of the names. I think Locker could be good if he had good receivers to deal with his inaccuracy.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raw deal? Teams 100% sold out on stopping Peterson worse than when the Rams had Steven Jackson. Almost every throw Ponder made was with all of his WRs in one on one coverage.

Ponder's flaw is his arm strength. He is on par with Jimmy Clausen, imo. A pure backup with no hope to ever be a starter.

Everyone of those names mentioned has flaws. Ponder,Locker,Schaub,Barkley...even EJ Manuel.
I like Locker better than the rest of the names. I think Locker could be good if he had good receivers to deal with his inaccuracy. But the way Shotty call offensive plays, a guy with an arm made for dink and dunk might work as a backup!! :whistle:

UnrealTerm04

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose what I should have said is that out of the two, I'd rather see Austin Davis back than Shaun Hill. I like the idea of having Matt Schaub as a backup but something is clearly wrong with him. He is not accurate like he use to be and he seems very slow in the pocket when he drops back to pass. He must be hiding an injury or perhaps he hasn't fully recovered from a previous injury.

I do agree that Ponder, Clausen and Locker are career backup's and it looks as if EJ Manuel will be too. How about bringing back Ryan Fitzpatrick?

Had Kyle Orton not retired, he'd be a good QB to compete with Bradford.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem I have with this logic is that it is exactly what people were saying last year when Hundley decided to stay in college. He didnt get any better with another year to develop.

Watched him all season and he is anything but a one read and run QB. I don't have a problem for a QB to run the ball if he can scoot and reads an open lane to move the chains or to pick up yards on big down and distances to provide 3rd and short situations.

My problem with Brett, he has trouble keeping his eyes down field and starts to pay attention too much to the rush instead of going through his progressions. (We know what that looks like in St Louis, don't we!)

I honestly think he needs another year as the Bruins signal caller. It may not improve his draft status however it could but in the long run he may find a lot more valuable years in the NFL because of it.