• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Wells Fargo Arena Needs to be Demolished

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average attendance for an ASU Basketball game is somewhere just north of 6k. The stadium currently seats just north of 10k and that's after a reduction a few years back. At the same time, ASU Hockey just announced they'll be going Division 1 and will need a place to play. Add the fact that the arena is embarrassingly outdated and the solution seems simple. ASU needs to demolish Wells Fargo and build a more intment modern arena.

The biggest problem is obviously money (which is frustrating to say because I'm still paying ASU for my education). But, that's a hurdle that should and can be easily overcome. GCU just built a $200 mm arena. UA is putting $30 mm into McKale. ASU Hockey just received a $32 mm donation. There's money out there. Obviously, ASU is a state school that has a state endowment. But they're also the largest university in the country and require their students to pay an athletic charge. They deserve better to say the least.

A 7,000 seat arena with balcony suites and modern amenities should (and I beileve will) happen after the stadium remodeled. That capacity would be slightly higher than the average attendance for upper NCAA hockey schools. And, right above the average attendance for a basketball game.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Average attendance for an ASU Basketball game is somewhere just north of 6k. The stadium currently seats just north of 10k and that's after a reduction a few years back. At the same time, ASU Hockey just announced they'll be going Division 1 and will need a place to play. Add the fact that the arena is embarrassingly outdated and the solution seems simple. ASU needs to demolish Wells Fargo and build a more intment modern arena.

The biggest problem is obviously money (which is frustrating to say because I'm still paying ASU for my education). But, that's a hurdle that should and can be easily overcome. GCU just built a $200 mm arena. UA is putting $30 mm into McKale. ASU Hockey just received a $32 mm donation. There's money out there. Obviously, ASU is a state school that has a state endowment. But they're also the largest university in the country and require their students to pay an athletic charge. They deserve better to say the least.

A 7,000 seat arena with balcony suites and modern amenities should (and I beileve will) happen after the stadium remodeled. That capacity would be slightly higher than the average attendance for upper NCAA hockey schools. And, right above the average attendance for a basketball game.

Good points WHODAT!
I helped pay for Wells Fargo and the a most of Frank Kush Field not to mention one of the best acquatic centers I have personally seen.
I like the idea of a smaller stadium. ASU can play at my alma mater high school in the interim. It will barely fill up,LOL. We also need a big spend coach. Frieder, Sendek- nice try. I say Bryon Scott.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Building a 7,000 seat new basketball arena is a confession that you never intend to be a powerhouse. I'm not an ASU fan, but I would be furious if my school ever did anything like that. I wouldn't use present attendance to handicap my future in the 2nd biggest NCAA sport.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In a number of ways ASU has already confessed that they do not want to have a powerhouse basketball program, and nor should they. Phoenix is an over saturated sports market with fickle consumers. Tempe is not Lexington, Durham, Chapel Hill, Lawrence, or Bloomington. And, Arizona does not have the local talent available like a UCLA, Villanova, or St. John's.

The investment required to make this program substantially better would not create a return that would make it financially feasible. The demand is just not there. But, a smaller stadium could help.

Most of the revenue from college basketball is in the form of media deals. So decreasing the capacity would give the illusion that the program has a bigger following and thus strengthen the brand. How many times do you see the upper bowl in an arena on TV? The fans would benefit also because the gameday experience would be more vibrant and the amenities more modern. ASU could likely have better luck getting a naming deal and potentially host other events. It is a win-win scenario.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ASU hockey is a beast right now, I personally know the goalie coach

As for the post above I agree bball is not a priority nor should it be. Make the football program top notch like is should/could be.

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a new stadium with all-new uniforms would increase fan interest and maybe help with recruiting, at least temporarily.