• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welcome to the Mod-Squad Darkstone42!!

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hey mags,
see you are from shenandoah valley. i think we just drove through there to lynchburg. very pretty, must be great in the fall.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hey mags,
see you are from shenandoah valley. i think we just drove through there to lynchburg. very pretty, must be great in the fall.

First..... please accept my apology for my delay in responding. We had an exceptionally bad storm come through here on Friday, June 29. (According to the power company, it was the worst storm to hit Virginia during the past 100 years.) We were without power for 5 days and without cable (no TV or internet) for almost a full week. Then, wife and I spent a week at the beach with friends and just got back last night. Today represents my first opportunity to read the board since June 29.

You indeed may have passed through part of the Shenandoah Valley on your way to Lynchburg, depending upon your route. Lynchburg itself is east of the Shenandoah Valley. Interstate 81 and US Route 11 (and Route 340) pass through the Valley from north to south (actually northeast to southwest). The Shenandoah Valley (formed by the Shenandoah River, a tributary of the Potomac) actually is a plateau between the eastern-most ridge and the second ridge of the Appalachian Mountains.

The Valley (as well as the mountains on either side) is exceptionally pretty in the fall. The Skyline Drive is on the eastern-most ridge, and becomes the Blue Ridge Parkway near Waynesboro, Virginia. There's a nominal fee to drive on the Skyline Drive, but the Blue Ridge Parkway is free. If you like wooded mountains and the valleys between, the scenery is wonderful. The only downside is that the speed limit is 35 most of the time, with a max of 45. They're not good roads for traveling, but outstanding for sightseeing..... many overlooks and frequent access to the Appalachian Trail for hikers. The colors in the fall peak from early to mid October, and many of the towns in the area have festivals which celebrate the fall scenery. One of my favorites is the "Fall Foliage Festival" in Waynesboro (where I used to live during my working career).

By the way, you're probably aware that Lynchburg used to be the home of the Pirates' class A minor league team (the Lynchburg Hillcats). I've always regretted that I failed to get to Lynchburg (only about 100 miles from where I live) to see some games before the team moved away.