• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Welcome Ike Davis

damien232307

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really like the pickup. Thornton was way down our list of potential arms. I have to think the PTBNL has to be a much better prospect considering the price tag on Davis is reasonable. I love the move.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thornton didnt even make Sickles 'others' on his top 20 pirates prospect list.

His upside is alot higher than Travis's.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well if you're planning to have a platoon at first, this is one of the guys.

He hits right-handed pitchers well and his splits were consistently pretty bad in his home ballpark, so it's possible that the move to PNC could be good for him.

Still - not exactly a big-time addition. Not complaining, but not celebrating a whole lot either.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like it. If nothing else, Davis has shown he can get on base, and that's the thing we most need more of. And he can hit righties, which is the other thing we need more of.

We didn't give up much, and if Davis stays healthy, there's a chance he can do a lot of positive things for us.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If Davis can find his 2012 stroke then the Pirates could have a solid line-up this summer:

Marte (R), Polanco (L), McCutchen (R), Alvarez (L), Walker (S), Davis (L)/Sanchez (R), Martin (R), Mercer (R)

and bench:

Snider (L)/Tabata (R), Davis (L)/Sanchez (R), Stewart (R)/Sanchez (R), Barmes (R), Harrison (R)

I believe at least one of Snider/Tabata/Lambo will be traded around the time Polanco is ready to be called up. I believe Snider could be a solid big leaguer. Hopefully he busts out in the next two months so the Pirates can get a good return if he is traded. I think Tabata's current performance is going to be similar to how he performs the rest of his career. Not a terrible contract, but not sure he is tradeable with the contract. Lambo is a wild card. The trade for Davis seems to mean the front office really isn't as high on Lambo as they have led on. Maybe one of the three will be the PTBNL?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets fan here. I hope Davis finds success with you guys, he has Gold Glove potential at 1B and 30HR power. The Mets just loved to fuck with his head, the ups and downs, the benchinggs, they ruined him. Albeit, the Valley Fever didn't help, either, but still. I hope he tears it up with you guys and i'll be coming in here from time to time if you don't mind to check on him! :suds: good luck!

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Mets fan here. I hope Davis finds success with you guys, he has Gold Glove potential at 1B and 30HR power. The Mets just loved to fuck with his head, the ups and downs, the benchinggs, they ruined him. Albeit, the Valley Fever didn't help, either, but still. I hope he tears it up with you guys and i'll be coming in here from time to time if you don't mind to check on him! :suds: good luck!

Feel free, when you come bring updates on Dilson Herrera if you could. I hated giving that kid up last year, he is going to be special.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well if you're planning to have a platoon at first, this is one of the guys.

He hits right-handed pitchers well and his splits were consistently pretty bad in his home ballpark, so it's possible that the move to PNC could be good for him.

Still - not exactly a big-time addition. Not complaining, but not celebrating a whole lot either.

I agree, not a big addition, but as long as the PTBNL isn't a part of the future I am fine with it.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised if he's a 2-3 win upgrade over Ishikawa, assuming this is a strict platoon.

Not that I think Davis will be a 2-3 win player in a vacuum (although it's possible), but because him and Sanchez can both play to their strengths through the platoon. The Pirates obviously didn't trust Isikawa, so Gaby was playing a lot vs RHP.

Huge bench upgrade too.

Burgh Sports Rule

Let's Go Bucs!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love the move. As a strict platoon as element said, hopefully, this will work out really well.

BTW, the PTBNL is going to be one of our 2013 MLB Draft pks. ( Rumored )

Hopefully, no one too significant???

Burgh

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's also shown very good plate discipline from time to time. After batting .165/.255/.250 and posting a 25:73 BB:K ratio in 239 1st half PA, he batted .286/.449/.505 with 32:28 BB:K in 138 PA in the 2nd half. He also struggled in the 1st half of 2012 (.201/.271/.388, 26:77 BB:K in 295 PA), but hit pretty well in the 2nd (.255/.346/.542, 35:64 BB:K and 20 home runs in 289 PA).

TheBurgh88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Solid pickup as long as the deal doesn't include Meadows or McGuire as the PTBNL and I doubt even Neal would be that foolish. Hopefully he can be the missing part of a platoon at 1B and mesh with the rest of the young players. Once Polanco arrives after the Super 2 deadline the lineup should be set.

Now if only the pitching would return to form we would become a serious WS contender.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Neil is reputed to make offers and not budge on them. Sometimes it's infuriating, such as when we miss out on a free agent that could've helped us. I believe that in this case the Mets were hoping for a better prospect for Davis (Kingham according to one rumor) and Neil countered with a lesser package. The Mets eventually decided to blink and now here we are.

I doubt that the ptbnl is anyone in our top 10 and probably not anyone in our top 20. At best maybe a willy garcia or maybe harold ramirez. Maybe one of the 2013 draft picks, but not meadows or mcguire.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Solid pickup as long as the deal doesn't include Meadows or McGuire as the PTBNL and I doubt even Neal would be that foolish. Hopefully he can be the missing part of a platoon at 1B and mesh with the rest of the young players. Once Polanco arrives after the Super 2 deadline the lineup should be set.

Now if only the pitching would return to form we would become a serious WS contender.

Yeah, one of those two would be absolutely ludicrous.

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Feel free, when you come bring updates on Dilson Herrera if you could. I hated giving that kid up last year, he is going to be special.

I'm very much looking forward to this kid, but still think he's quite some time away from the big leagues.

He's also shown very good plate discipline from time to time. After batting .165/.255/.250 and posting a 25:73 BB:K ratio in 239 1st half PA, he batted .286/.449/.505 with 32:28 BB:K in 138 PA in the 2nd half. He also struggled in the 1st half of 2012 (.201/.271/.388, 26:77 BB:K in 295 PA), but hit pretty well in the 2nd (.255/.346/.542, 35:64 BB:K and 20 home runs in 289 PA).

He's tore it up in the second half, I just wish he was able to do it consistently all season long.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know the sentiment is that the deal is ok as long as it doesn't involve Meadows or McGuire, but I would add JaCoby Jones to that group as well. He was good last year and looks to be improved all around this year. I know earlier I said I would guess it was a player of his type, but over the last couple weeks I have followed Jones a little more closely and have come to the conclusion that I hope it isn't him.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the way Davis has been playing..
He has his on base percentage around .380... second best on the team ( actually I think it is down to .377 after tonight )

I would like to see a little more power... but his average has been climbing ever so slowly... His OPS is slowly inching closer to something respectable for a first baseman.

If this guy can continue to get on base 38% of the time for the rest of the season... I will say the Bucs win the trade hands down.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the way Davis has been playing..
He has his on base percentage around .380... second best on the team ( actually I think it is down to .377 after tonight )

I would like to see a little more power... but his average has been climbing ever so slowly... His OPS is slowly inching closer to something respectable for a first baseman.

If this guy can continue to get on base 38% of the time for the rest of the season... I will say the Bucs win the trade hands down.

The trade isn't yet complete, so lets withhold judgement on grading it right now. Realistically, if we give up Meadows and don't make the playoffs with Ike, I say we resoundingly lost this trade. It just depends on who goes to the Mets after the draft.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You honestly think there is a chance Meadows goes the other way?

I'd put the chances of that as x when x->0.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You honestly think there is a chance Meadows goes the other way?

I'd put the chances of that as x when x->0.

Do I think he is going that way...........no probably not. However, he has missed half a season with "tight hamstrings". So I would also say that there is a chance greater than zero that he is the return. In reality if I were to put money on it I would guess JaCoby Jones is the player that goes. But like I said, there is some chance that it could be Meadows.