• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Week 2: Virginia Tech v Austin Peay (9/8/2012)

HokieChamp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually wish Logan would check to those more often if the matchups are good on the edge.

This is what I would prefer too. I feel like it's an excellent play to audible into at the line once LT gets a look at the coverage. I'm waiting for the one time where we fake that screen and hand off to Coleman or toss it deep to the opposite side.

I don't really have a problem with the play itself, but when you call it so often, they can become quick pick-six's with a good D. I realize we were pretty vanilla with Austin Peay, but it seemed like we had one WR screen on every offensive series. Then again, I'm not the one calling the plays and watching hours of film, so what do I know? I'll just continue to put my faith in the coaches and players and hope for the best.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I was there until just after the last touchdown so I got a good look and definitely noticed a few things:

- As far as defense goes, I haven't been terribly impressed with our pass rush, even from James Gayle. Maybe it's just lack of effort. Maybe they were told to lay off. I hope it's something other than just flat out ineffective. The first two teams that we've played have been primarily running teams so this one may be recanted. We are, save a few long running plays, doing pretty well at stuffing the run with the front four. Jarrett and Fuller are both playing really well. Exum and Bonner have done very little to impress me. I didn't get that much look at Manning but it sounds like he did OK.

- WRs -- They looked better. I thought Dyrell and Fuller both looked good. Davis had a few catches but he still seems to half-ass some of his routes and drop at least 1-2 balls a game that he should catch easily. He shouldn't be starting at this point, IMO.

- Logan looked better I thought but he still started pretty slow. It's obvious to me that his timing, especially on longer routes is way off. We have athletes who run good in the open field (especially Davis). Get the ball dumped to them early on to soften up the defense. Then, throw in some double-moves when the defense starts biting too much. This is pretty elementary shit. Not sure why Stinesping doesn't get that.

- OLine -- by far my biggest concern at this point. They looked shitty against a bad defensive line. I wasn't paying that much attention to who was in when but I have a bad feeling that we will continue to struggle to run the ball on the interior.

- RBs -- See OLine play above. JC runs great in the open field. He has a lot of speed and shake and will be very difficult to handle in the open field. Dunn is a great BIG WR.

I feel like we look best when we're spreading the field out with a single back. Unless we make changes and are able to run the ball, we should work 2-3 WR sets, with Dunn as an H-Back (he's a huge mismatch for most LBs). We have play makers and the more you can spread the field, the better our offense will do (and it will open up Logan able to run more).

That being said, unless something drastically changes, FSU is going to be a major problem for our offensive line and Clemson will exploit some of weaknesses in the secondary (namely Exum and Bonner).

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Those OL grades are always good for a laugh. Nobody ever gets an unsatisfactory (below 80) grade

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those OL grades are always good for a laugh. Nobody ever gets an unsatisfactory (below 80) grade

The coaches give out grades below 80, but they don't publicize grades below 80. If a grade isn't listed that's because it didn't meet that threshold. I.e., Miller, Via, and Benedict all graded out below 80. But this protects the players a little... you and I don't know if they got a 79 or a 62.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The coaches give out grades below 80, but they don't publicize grades below 80. If a grade isn't listed that's because it didn't meet that threshold. I.e., Miller, Via, and Benedict all graded out below 80. But this protects the players a little... you and I don't know if they got a 79 or a 62.

Oh I thought it was a minimum number of plays kind of thing

m477hokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm getting tired of hearing people say Marcus Davis shouldn't be starting, I think its pretty self-righteous to assume his effort level is bad just because he is having some inconsistency adjusting to a new role. There are going to be teams we play where we need a physical, athletic receiver like him, because the other ones just will not have the physical tools. Decreasing his snaps would be one of the stupider things we could do.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually wish Logan would check to those more often if the matchups are good on the edge.

I just worry that most everyone knows what is coming when Logan audibles at the line. Damn near every time that he checks out of another play at the line to a pass it seems to be a bubble screen. I would rather we do our normal bubble screens and then check to a pump fake the bubble then throw to the streaking "blocking" wr. Something to keep the defenses from keying on the bubbles when we do run them.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone know what the OL grades actually mean? Woud an 80 mean 80% of the snaps the lineman did his job?

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just worry that most everyone knows what is coming when Logan audibles at the line. Damn near every time that he checks out of another play at the line to a pass it seems to be a bubble screen. I would rather we do our normal bubble screens and then check to a pump fake the bubble then throw to the streaking "blocking" wr. Something to keep the defenses from keying on the bubbles when we do run them.

Good thought. I would certainly hope that the coaching staff has something like what you are talking about (pump fake bubble screen--hit the fly route) in the playbook. If so you could look at this type of play one of two ways..

1) They are saving it for a very opportune time (vs. a league opponent in a big game, namely UNC, Clemson, and FSU) and hoping to hit a home run when they need it...or
2) They eat some of the scrubs that we play leading up to this point and make the remaining teams honor the threat of a bit of tricky, thus making the bubble screen a little more successful than it has been...

I prefer option 2

BTW. Welcome to the board Beachn Hokie!..What the hell are you doing in Fallon, NV?? Big Pimpin' at the Bunny Ranch!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Does anyone know what the OL grades actually mean? Woud an 80 mean 80% of the snaps the lineman did his job?

Not sure what is worth what but everyone starts off at 100 and has points deducted from there. I could be wrong about this but i also think that points are only deducted never added, so even if a guy has 3 knockdowns on 1 play it doesnt bump his score. <----- again i could be wrong about that.

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure what is worth what but everyone starts off at 100 and has points deducted from there. I could be wrong about this but i also think that points are only deducted never added, so even if a guy has 3 knockdowns on 1 play it doesnt bump his score. <----- again i could be wrong about that.

Could be. Whatever the scores mean they are as inflated as our 40 times.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
just something to add to the play calling discussion:

AP was sending 7 sometimes 8 guys to the ball carrier on running downs georgia tech was doing pretty similar.

1) Play action would have been wide open more often than not but we have seen very little of it thus far.

2) Until LT gets 'dialed in' everyone is going to stack the box or run LB flows to the ball, but once LT can complete some short to mid range passes teams arent going to be able to do that as much which should open up some more running lanes.

3) There have been several opportunities for 'cut backs' from our RB's but for one reason or another they have missed them.

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
After re watching gamer film, I am very impressed with Dadi, he was all over the field, in the backfield and getting held a lot. Considering that the coaching staff said he would be no where near ready to play this year, I was impressed with him in clean-up.

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
After re watching gamer film, I am very impressed with Dadi, he was all over the field, in the backfield and getting held a lot. Considering that the coaching staff said he would be no where near ready to play this year, I was impressed with him in clean-up.
Dadi is playing off of "see ball get ball" which worked well against AP, but he is too raw to play in any big time games right now. I think by the time he is a rJr he will be able to contribute on a regular basis.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good thought. I would certainly hope that the coaching staff has something like what you are talking about (pump fake bubble screen--hit the fly route) in the playbook. If so you could look at this type of play one of two ways..

1) They are saving it for a very opportune time (vs. a league opponent in a big game, namely UNC, Clemson, and FSU) and hoping to hit a home run when they need it...or
2) They eat some of the scrubs that we play leading up to this point and make the remaining teams honor the threat of a bit of tricky, thus making the bubble screen a little more successful than it has been...

I prefer option 2

BTW. Welcome to the board Beachn Hokie!..What the hell are you doing in Fallon, NV?? Big Pimpin' at the Bunny Ranch!

Thanks man, I am stationed out here at NAS Fallon. Middle of nowhere, but will be heading back home to VB to be at Little Creek next year.

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dadi is playing off of "see ball get ball" which worked well against AP, but he is too raw to play in any big time games right now. I think by the time he is a rJr he will be able to contribute on a regular basis.

I don't expect to see him a lot this year, but he's just a rFr and he has good players ahead of him. Those same players will all be back next year barring injury or early NFL entry, so playing time may be hard to come by until he's a rJr. But you never know what's going to happen. He just needs to keep working. I certainly liked his energy on Saturday. And he is now listed on the depth chart (3rd at stud behind Gayle and Wilson).