• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Weakest Cases for HOFers Who Made It?

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Paul Hornung....he has no business in the HOF.
Hornung was a prolific scorer and part of the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Of course he deserves to be in the HOF.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't blame you for feeling that way

But it's a disservice and an insult to the intelligence of football fans that he's not a first ballot HOFer.
This happens every year that someone deserving doesn't get in on the first ballot.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't blame you for feeling that way

But it's a disservice and an insult to the intelligence of football fans that he's not a first ballot HOFer.
He's got the numbers and he played his heart out after his injury in the Eagles SB but I will always see him as a cancer to any team he played for. Fuck T.O.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
INTs were quite common during the Namath era.
The typical star QB hurled it downfield vertically. That was what was asked of the star passers.

In the modern era, the idea is a high completion percentage with much safer throws, and rhythm passing.
Hence, you can get a guy like Donovan McNabb almost never throwing INTs....while greats of the 1960s and 1970s seem to have a ton.

Namath had a lot of INTs, and that is a legitimate knock on him.
But, it is a little bit understandable in the context of his era.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's got the numbers and he played his heart out after his injury in the Eagles SB but I will always see him as a cancer to any team he played for. Fuck T.O.

He was a cancer. He was also the best player on every team he played on. If you're not a violent criminal or a cheater, pure football production should be the only criteria looked at by voters. Allowing other BS to determine who belongs is a slippery slope.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the HOF is a joke but as far as guys who stand out I'd say Swann. His image got him in.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T.O. should be in. Asshole of a teammate but who cares. It doesn't stop the HOF eventually voting cheaters in. Atwater should be in as well.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T.O. should be in. Asshole of a teammate but who cares. It doesn't stop the HOF eventually voting cheaters in. Atwater should be in as well.
If the Rock HOF can induct Madonna and ABBA then the NFL HOF should induct TO and Atwater.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TO got robbed.
I agree. Easily one of the greatest talents to play the position.

Im also okay with him not getting in the first time just as a slap in the face. If he isn't in next year then we are probably looking at the Hall of Fame rejecting a player that very obviously should get in.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hornung was a prolific scorer and part of the greatest dynasty in NFL history. Of course he deserves to be in the HOF.

Prolific scorer? He kicked some FG's and wasn't even the best running back on his own team. He's an absolute joke of a HOF'er.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prolific scorer? He kicked some FG's and wasn't even the best running back on his own team. He's an absolute joke of a HOF'er.
You obviously know squat about the NFL. Hornung was a multi-talented RB that could also throw, receive, block, run and kick. His peers considered him the best at his position. You really should do some research before you post another ignorant comment on something you know so little about.

Malibu

PEACE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You obviously know squat about the NFL. Hornung was a multi-talented RB that could also throw, receive, block, run and kick. His peers considered him the best at his position. You really should do some research before you post another ignorant comment on something you know so little about.

Agreed and it was a different era. Some of these kids of know clue.

Reactions: GNG

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Easily one of the greatest talents to play the position.

Im also okay with him not getting in the first time just as a slap in the face. If he isn't in next year then we are probably looking at the Hall of Fame rejecting a player that very obviously should get in.

Yeah, as a slap in the face it's bullshit. There are other ways to do that, and its been done probably hundreds of times by these particular voters. The HOF is about football and deviating from that puts the voters integrity in question. Especially considering that these are the same writers that fed like pigs over TO's antics for more than a decade.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uh huh....and don't forget, he was 'part of the Packer dynasty so that's why he's deserving of the Hall.' I wish I had that kind of football knowledge that you put up for display. GTFO with that. Paul Hornung wasn't the best back on his own team, threw and caught the ball a few times a year on half-back passes, and was an average kicker.

He's in the Hall simply because he's 'The Golden Boy' and that's pretty much it.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh huh....and don't forget, he was 'part of the Packer dynasty so that's why he's deserving of the Hall.' I wish I had that kind of football knowledge that you put up for display. GTFO with that. Paul Hornung wasn't the best back on his own team, threw and caught the ball a few times a year on half-back passes, and was an average kicker.

He's in the Hall simply because he's 'The Golden Boy' and that's pretty much it.
Okay dumb-ass. Vince Lombardi called Paul Hornung his biggest play maker and best clutch player. I'll take Lombardi's word over yours any day. Now go play in traffic.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Namath to me is in because the 1 Super Bowl he won changed the entire outlook of the NFL. At that point it was thought that the NFL was so far superior to the AFL that it wasn't even worth trying to merge them into one league. That win over the Colts gave the AFL a symbol of their league's legitimacy. Yes stats wise he wasn't that great of a QB but him being the central figure in one of the most influential games in NFL history is why he deserves to be in.

He also threw for 4000 yards in 1968, in Shea Stadium which was a wind tunnel. 4000 yards back then was unheard of.

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He also threw for 4000 yards in 1968, in Shea Stadium which was a wind tunnel. 4000 yards back then was unheard of.

That was actually 1967

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay dumb-ass. Vince Lombardi called Paul Hornung his biggest play maker and best clutch player. I'll take Lombardi's word over yours any day. Now go play in traffic.

So, Vince Lombardi backed up his player? Wow...haven't heard a coach say that about his own players. I'll let the facts speak on the matter. He wasn't close to being the best runner or receiver on his own team, and was an average kicker. If that's what Lombardi believed was the 'biggest play maker,' then he should've been getting the ball a lot more than he did.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, Vince Lombardi backed up his player? Wow...haven't heard a coach say that about his own players. I'll let the facts speak on the matter. He wasn't close to being the best runner or receiver on his own team, and was an average kicker. If that's what Lombardi believed was the 'biggest play maker,' then he should've been getting the ball a lot more than he did.
Another stupid response from you. You don't know squat about NFL history and it shows. Either that or you are just obtuse.