• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Watson wants the Jets

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good luck deshaun. The jets are as dysfunctional as the Texans

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to @ducky Watson is worth 10 1st’s or at least half of that lol

Not all 1st rounders are created equal.

If we are talking about the Chicago Bears trading for Watson, it is going to take 5 1st rounders plus a lot more to get it done. 3 or 4 late 1st round picks (and they would all be late in the 1st with Watson on their team) are simply not worth as much as the Jet's or Dolphins 1st round pick in this year draft.

That was my point all along. Having teams like the Bears or Pats or 49ers in the discussion as a possibility here was never realistic. They simply dont have the disposable ammo to pull off a trade like this.

I can't believe we have people here arguing that a 25 year old who is already a top 5 QB in the league, is under contract for 5 years and has a significant chunk of that contract already paid out, is not worth more than a handful of 1st rounders.

Just a complete ignorance of value and not understanding the historic precedent of the possibility of this trade. The reason that no franchise QB like Watson has ever been moved is simple. No team that is trading for one thinks they can afford to give up 5 years of draft picks and build around him still.....and no team that is trading one feels it is worth giving up the most valuable commodity BY FAR in the league for anything less than a king's random.

The only reason this is even a possibility this year is because of the draft this year having just a crazy amount of quality QB prospects in it that bolster the value of the 2nd and 3rd overall pick. If this were 2016, 2017, 2019, this wouldn't even be talked about because of the lack of elite QB prospects at the top of most team's draft board.

The only way that Houston franchise can somewhat not cause a decades long revolt in their fan base in a trade like this is to get a crazy amount of draft picks in return for Watson....but also get an immediate possible franchise QB prospect to replace him.

People thinking a team like the Bears can send off 3 1st round picks when we all know those are all late round picks and Houston will accept just because Watson is upset is absolutely laughable.

Last edited:

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
J-E-S-T Jest Jest Jest

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we are talking about the Chicago Bears trading for Watson, it is going to take 5 1st rounders plus a lot more to get it done. 3 or 4 late 1st round picks (and they would all be late in the 1st with Watson on their team) are simply not worth as much as the Jet's or Dolphins 1st round pick in this year draft.

That was my point all along. Having teams like the Bears or Pats or 49ers in the discussion as a possibility here was never realistic. They simply dont have the disposable ammo to pull off a trade like this.

I can't believe we have people here arguing that a 25 year old who is already a top 5 QB in the league, is under contract for 5 years and has a significant chunk of that contract already paid out, is not worth more than a handful of 1st rounders.

Just a complete ignorance of value and not understanding the historic precedent of the possibility of this trade. The reason that no franchise QB like Watson has ever been moved is simple. No team that is trading for one thinks they can afford to give up 5 years of draft picks and build around him still.....and no team that is trading one feels it is worth giving up the most valuable commodity BY FAR in the league for anything less than a king's random.

The only reason this is even a possibility this year is because of the draft this year having just a crazy amount of quality QB prospects in it that bolster the value of the 2nd and 3rd overall pick. If this were 2016, 2017, 2019, this wouldn't even be talked about because of the lack of elite QB prospects at the top of most team's draft board.

The only way that Houston franchise can somewhat not cause a decades long revolt in their fan base in a trade like this is to get a crazy amount of draft picks in return for Watson....but also get an immediate possible franchise QB prospect to replace him.

People thinking a team like the Bears can send off 3 1st round picks when we all know those are all late round picks and Houston will accept just because Watson is upset is absolutely laughable.

Counterpoint: Trading 5 first round draft picks for Deshaun Watson is a better idea than paying Kirk Cousins 100 million dollars.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Counterpoint: Trading 5 first round draft picks for Deshaun Watson is a better idea than paying Kirk Cousins 100 million dollars.

I completely agree.

But that isn't a counterpoint. It is proving my point. A team like the Bears should be happy to give up 5 late round picks to get a franchise QB in place. And that is why he is worth more than that.

Finding a franchise QB like Watson is THAT hard where that incredible of a price to pay is still worth it. Teams piss away way more in assets finding QB's of way lesser value and not a sure thing like Watson is.

If the Vikings could make it the cap numbers work (they really can't because Cousins dead cap hit), I would be perfectly fine with them shipping off 5 1st round picks for Watson. But when you start talking all the 2nd round picks they would have to throw in to spice up the deal, then it becomes a little harder to figure out how you are going to fill in the roster gaps moving forward.

And Houston would get those 5 1st round picks. And they would probably get 1 good player, 2 average starters and 2 busts with those 1st round picks. And likely none of them are QB's as they are all in the backend of the 1st round. And that is why it isn't worth it for them to do it without a whole lot extra.

Debbie Does

Question Authority
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am seriously concerned that Watson is choosing being "woke" ahead of playing for a good team or winning a championship. We'll see how it works out. Houston hasn't been a good team, and hasn't had good coaching, but he shouldn't expect the Jets to be world-beaters either.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with most others in here--why would Watson want to go to the Jets? I get that they have a HC he liked, but that guy coaches defense.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll go on record now and say Watson will never win a SB if he is choosing social issues over being with a good organization

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with most others in here--why would Watson want to go to the Jets? I get that they have a HC he liked, but that guy coaches defense.

the only thought is they have a GM that those around the league believe really knows what he’s doing

2Nd most cap space in the league, and a tremendous amount of top 3 round picks the next few years

if done right, big IF, it can be a better situation than a lot of teams

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only thought is they have a GM that those around the league believe really knows what he’s doing

2Nd most cap space in the league, and a tremendous amount of top 3 round picks the next few years

if done right, big IF, it can be a better situation than a lot of teams

Would have to think the Fins is a better situation though. And they also have a AA head coach.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would have to think the Fins is a better situation though. And they also have a AA head coach.

Lol
I can’t argue that, I’m actually surprised (if true), he would rather the Jets than Miami

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

That's why trading is so hard and rarer in the NFL because you just have so many more positions you have to fill and a cap that limits your ability to fill them outside of the draft.

The Watson trade is tough because it's not just the picks but his cap hit as well so it puts you in a tough spot when it comes to your roster. Watson takes up 40 million of your cap in 22 and 23 than 33ish in 24 and 25.

Because of Watson's cap hit you need the picks to fill out the roster around him since it'll be difficult to retain your own guys and get free agents. BUT to get Watson you traded a lot of valuable draft picks which could've been used to fill your roster with talent on the cheap.

You're not going to trade for him for two 1st rounders but once you get to three 1sts along with some 2nds and 3rds you're in a pretty dicey territory.

Because as good as Watson is the Texans still only won 4 games last season and I'm not pinning that on Watson but to illustrate that having a star QB doesn't guarantee you wins and deep playoff runs.

Jets and Miami are prime spots because of their high picks and the fact they have extra 1st rounders so that softens the blow they'd take on trading for him. But even those teams are going to think long and hard about keeping their picks and building up their roster with them especially Miami who went 10-6 and is trending in the right direction.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does anyone actually want this?