• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: VT @ THE Ohio State University, The Horseshoe, 8PM ESPN

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lebron.jpg

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a game! We hit on just about all cylinders. Haven't played like that in a long time.

The improvements made over the week were great. I'm not sure if we were holding back against W&M but the offense looked completely together (minus that string of plays when we were backed up and confused along the line). Receivers seemed to always be in the right place, and the backs looked to be picking up their assignments. Defense focused on tackling. DBs were fearless.

Playcalling on both ends was perfect. I was so worried when OSU had the momentum after they tied it up. I was not expecting us to come out and ram it down their throats after not being able to run consistently. To adjust and punch them in the nose like that was incredible. Not only did those few play calls lift the offense, but reinvigorated the defense to go for the kill. Of course, Bud Foster called another insane game too. They couldn't run, throwing was a gamble, and we adjusted beautifully to the QB tucking it. The final few series were explosive.

I'd like to see us continue to work on the power running game. Being able to line up and pound the ball will be critical at some point this year. I appreciate that the staff isn't giving up on it, and is finding ways to get the ball in playmakers hands.

Overall, this was a great night. Tech represented itself and our conference well, and have a significant victory early in the year. Hopefully the sign of a new era.

No joke, given recent years...as soon as they tied it up, i was just about ready to lose hope. Seeing us regroup and have that drive (6 plays, 65 yards for a TD, IIRC) was amazing. There were some mistakes, but it finally feels like we turned a page...maybe this one was what we needed to "get the monkey off our back", regarding the whole "big game" thing

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No joke, given recent years...as soon as they tied it up, i was just about ready to lose hope. Seeing us regroup and have that drive (6 plays, 65 yards for a TD, IIRC) was amazing. There were some mistakes, but it finally feels like we turned a page...maybe this one was what we needed to "get the monkey off our back", regarding the whole "big game" thing

Yes... I think we were all there whether or not we'll admit it to ourselves. History was telling us what we were seeing was a fevered dream and could never become reality. 46's and my texts back and forth reflected these mixed emotions, read like this (unedited)"

(After "the drive" to make it 28-21) -
The Proof: That was a drive I haven't seen for a long time
46: Well, I mean... end of the first half of this game... so like 2 hours ago but I understand your point.
The Proof: Right... I'm going to stop jinxing this

(After getting the ball back, taking less than a minute off the clock before giving it right back) -
46: 36 seconds off the clock on that drive. WTF!
Proof: Yea... Going to have to win this with balls I guess... I'd rather use some smarts too, but Beamer is saying "use balls... Only balls"
46: I am already in "well we lost a close one" mode because I am a fatalist sports because of Tech, the Caps, the Nats...
Proof: Yea. Still expecting to lose this is (sic) dramatic and heartbreaking fashion... Like duke half court shot type bs.

(After Jarrett pic) -
Proof: Nice. Fuck wow. Thank you.
46: I would make sweet passionate love to Jarrett right now.
Proof: I would make manly, Roman gladiator love to him right now... and Godwin Gray
Proof : Godwin = torrian autocorrect?

(After missed FG) -
Proof: Sigh
46: I probably would have punted that.

(After Dadi sack) -
46: WHO
46: IS
46: YOUR
46: MOTHERFUCKING
46: DADI
46: Dude! I believe right now! Infucking (sic) believe!

(After we won) -
Proof: I believe now too.

Were we wrong to doubt it? Recent Hokie history says nay, we were not.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes... I think we were all there whether or not we'll admit it to ourselves. History was telling us what we were seeing was a fevered dream and could never become reality. 46's and my texts back and forth reflected these mixed emotions, read like this (unedited)"

46: Well, I mean... end of the first half of this game... so like 2 hours ago but I understand your point.

(After getting the ball back, taking less than a minute off the clock before giving it right back) -
Proof: Yea... Going to have to win this with balls I guess... I'd rather use some smarts too, but Beamer is saying "use balls... Only balls"
46: I am already in "well we lost a close one" mode because I am a fatalist sports because of Tech, the Caps, the Nats...
Proof: Yea. Still expecting to lose this is (sic) dramatic and heartbreaking fashion... Like duke half court shot type bs.

(After Jarrett pic) -
Proof: I would make manly, Roman gladiator love to him right now... and Godwin Gray

(After missed FG) -

(After Dadi sack) -

(After we won) -

LOL at Godwin Gray! :pound:

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

(After Jarrett pic) -

(After missed FG) -

(After Dadi sack) -

(After we won) -

So what I took away from this is that you want a 3-way with Kyshoen Jarrett and Torrian Gray.

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what I took away from this is that you want a 3-way with Kyshoen Jarrett and Torrian Gray.

Yea, but not a gay one. More like a brosome. And out of gratitude. I'd fully expect them both to turn me down, which is fine.

The real question is... that's all you got out of all those comments?

Interesting... very interesting.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So this is pretty cool. Not as cool as winning the game 35-21, but still pretty cool.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hokie200proof

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's about half the story...

Aggressive D resulted in a 3rd down conversion rate of 25%, 3 turnovers, 1 defensive TD and a completion percentage below 50%.

Hokie Defense was "go for broke"? I think I'd call it "damn near perfect".

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's about half the story...

Aggressive D resulted in a 3rd down conversion rate of 25%, 3 turnovers, 1 defensive TD and a completion percentage below 50%.

Hokie Defense was "go for broke"? I think I'd call it "damn near perfect".

I think it was probably both of those. If you depend on perfection, it might not work every week. It may well have been the only way to win at Ohio State, but it did work like a charm. That was a pretty intense defense.

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm glad Ohio State got in.

VT played well in the Ohio State game, but we all know they kind of stunk up the place after that in terms of losses. Sadly, the record doesn't reflect just how close a lot of those games were.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stars aligned for us that night. We caught them off guard and played lights out. BUt to say it was an "oddity" c'mon... That is just disrespectful to the House that Beamer built. Even in the down years..there is a chance. VT will be underdogs going into the game next season and they should be. BUt I will already give us a fighters chance. There is no way that we dont have a shot..I dont give a damn who is playing QB for tOSU.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be another "oddity" should it happen.

If tOSU wins the natty, when we play them this coming fall it would be the 4th non-conference team in the last 10, that VT has faced who is a) coming off of a national championship season OR b) would have won the natty the same year they play VT. tOSU would join USC-w, 'Bama, and LSU. Say what you want about Frank, but he schedules good..

VTscores

Observer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This would be another "oddity" should it happen.

If tOSU wins the natty, when we play them this coming fall it would be the 4th non-conference team in the last 10, that VT has faced who is a) coming off of a national championship season OR b) would have won the natty the same year they play VT. tOSU would join USC-w, 'Bama, and LSU. Say what you want about Frank, but he schedules good..

Since VT played them THIS year, they don't have to wait until next fall, right?