• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vote for up to 5 NBA franchises to join the Lakers and Celtics as the top 7 most storied teams in NBA history.

Pick up to 5 teams to join the Lakers and Celtics as most storied NBA franchises.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it really hard to make a case for anybody other than the Lakers and Celtics, mainly for the way those two teams have dominated the championships.

Other teams have had long histories with a lot of memorable players but are lacking in the titles department.

Gun to my head, Sixers, Knicks, Warriors, Pistons. Mainly because they've all been around forever and have had iconic players. The only other team who has been around for as long is the Sacramento Kings, and I don't think anybody would seriously consider them for this list

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it really hard to make a case for anybody other than the Lakers and Celtics, mainly for the way those two teams have dominated the championships.

Other teams have had long histories with a lot of memorable players but are lacking in the titles department.

Gun to my head, Sixers, Knicks, Warriors, Pistons. Mainly because they've all been around forever and have had iconic players. The only other team who has been around for as long is the Sacramento Kings, and I don't think anybody would seriously consider them for this list

Understood, which is why I said that you don't have to vote for 5 teams, but maybe I should've specifically made "none" a choice. We'll just keep a tally. So far there are 2 votes for that position.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So have the Hawks (St Louis) and Wizards (Bullets)

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ChrisperJ10 voted Rockets but not Warriors LOL

To me Rockets history is Hakeem Olajuwon, upsetting the Lakers in '86, back-to-back titles in the '90s, Moreyball, and elite teams with Harden. Anything else to add? Anyone?

Edit: I left out Moses Malone. I always think of him as a Sixer, but maybe that's wrong.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd love to hear more people give their reasoning for their last choice like I did above regarding how I chose Sixers over Knicks for my 5th and final vote. What did it come down to for you?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be a good example and give an explanation for all of my choices:

1. Spurs. I already stated it in the other thread, but here it is again. 18 straight seasons of 50 wins or more, which would've been 20 straight seasons if the 1998-99 season were a normal one. Five titles during that time. A true dynasty, IMO, despite no back-to-backs. Tim Duncan, David Robinson, George Gervin, and of course, one of the most influential coaches, Popovich, who has also proven to be a great personnel guy.

2. Bulls. Only two words needed: Michael Jordan.

3. Warriors. I'm biased, of course, but the Warriors do have a rich history. Wilt Chamberlain and his 100 point game, Nate Thurmond, Rick Barry, 1975 upset over the Bullets, Don Nelson, Run TMC, Chris Mullin (I believe Mullin deserves his own separate mention apart from Run TMC), Steph Curry and the current dynasty. Every team uses small ball now, and I believe it started with Don Nelson, or at least he was the most prominent proponent of small ball. Also, every team loves the three point shot now.

4. Pistons. Took down Lakers dynasty teams in two separate eras. They had to really earn it in the '80s, facing arguably the stiffest competition (a Lakers dynasty team, a Celtics dynasty team, and Jordan Bulls) that any title winning team has ever faced. And not only did they win, that Isiah-led Pistons team won twice. Then of course you have the upset over the Lakers in 2004 and a narrow loss to the dynasty Spurs in 2005.

5. Sixers over Knicks. Two old school teams that haven't won a title in a long time, but I picked the Sixers over the Knicks for my last choice because of Dr. J, the Fo, Fo, Fo team, and the great Wilt-led 1966-67 team that is considered one of the greatest teams of all time. Initially, I didn't even think I needed to consider Iverson, but let's throw him in there to be safe. I think the Sixers history is enough to beat Patrick Ewing, Willis Reed, Bill Bradley, the two Knicks titles from the '70s, and the Pat Riley teams.

Final note: Heat, Jazz, and Rockets are worthy of nomination, but I just feel the other teams have stronger cases at this point. The Heat do look like they are in good position to keep building their case. The Jazz seem to be in good position, too. We'll see about the Rockets. They do have some nice young players.

Last edited:

ChrisperJ10

Above Average Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I didn’t know you could change your vote.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I made that one of the settings. But, come on, was @msgkings322 really that persuasive? All he said was "LOL."
And then he said 'oops' because it's an obvious mistake to put the Rockets above the Warriors. No persuading needed.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And then he said 'oops' because it's an obvious mistake to put the Rockets above the Warriors. No persuading needed.

Less is more sometimes.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh right, sure but like I said, no persuading needed. Just pointed out an error.

I'm surprised the Warriors are doing this well. I thought that the long period of futility would hurt them, but I guess it hasn't, at least not here in the Hoop. If you go on reddit, the prevailing opinion seems to be that the Warriors history sucks.