• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Virginia Tech to the B1G is VERY in play

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...and nobody ask me where the he'll we are going to end up because at this point, your guess is as good as mine, though I think we can rule out the PAC 12 and the soon to be defunct Big 12.

fify

vtnuclearhokie

Pronounced Nuke-u-ler
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt, Syracuse apply to join ACC ranks, source says - ESPN

I like pitt but not too big on syracuse. We need to add 1 more big name school to give the conference some oomph. If we can get Texas/TT or Texas/WVU that would make a good 16 to stick with.

Based on the applications of Pitt and Cuse, I would think that the ACC may try and stay geographically logical, so maybe a full raid of the BE would take place and WVU/UConn would be 15 and 16. It sounds like it will be a crazy basketball conference.

So does the ACC raising the buyout price to 20 million really matter for the more attractive teams in the conference? If other conferences really want FSU and/or VT that bad wouldn't they be willing to just pay up on the one time fee?

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I really dislike adding all the northern BE teams. There are 2 quality football schools in the Big East: Pitt and in a distant second WVU, i would be far more interested in Louisville or South Florida than UCONN or Syracuse.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dislike adding all the northern BE teams. There are 2 quality football schools in the Big East: Pitt and in a distant second WVU, i would be far more interested in Louisville or South Florida than UCONN or Syracuse.

No way Loserville is considered. I think the Texas thing is just a bunch of smoke. It will end up being Pitt, Rutgers, Cuse, and either S.Florida, UConn, or...gulp...WVU.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Pitt and Cuse may end up being nothing more than replacement teams... ;)

I hear ya. Yeah i dont give a shit what the ACC does if we arent going to be part of it. If we do end up sticking around, i sure hope the ACC explores its options before adding Cuse and Uconn. i get that they are in the geographic footprint, but in terms of football they just water down the conference IMO.

BTW iirc there is a lot of good talk about the Big10 and VT in the original expansion thread.

Sounded like the fsu fans felt the same about uconn and syracuse as I, they just announced it on gameday and the crowd booooed!

Last edited by a moderator:

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I hear ya. Yeah i dont give a shit what the ACC does if we arent going to be part of it. If we do end up sticking around, i sure hope the ACC explores its options before adding Cuse and Uconn. i get that they are in the geographic footprint, but in terms of football they just water down the conference IMO.

BTW iirc there is a lot of good talk about the Big10 and VT in the original expansion thread.

Sounded like the fsu fans felt the same about uconn and syracuse as I, they just announced it on gameday and the crowd booooed!

nevermind i mis-heard it(dvr to the rescue!), ESPN is announcing PITT and Syracuse to the ACC. IF VT ends up staying i really like the addition of Pitt, not so hot on syracuse but hey wtf can i do! Anyway off to see the HOKIES play. :peace:

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will enjoy watching Pitt and Cuse beat up (literally) on those blue blood brats at Duke and UNC during basketball season. I don't know how much Big East basketball you watch but it is a different breed. PHYSICAL AS HELL!!!!

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I will enjoy watching Pitt and Cuse beat up (literally) on those blue blood brats at Duke and UNC during basketball season. I don't know how much Big East basketball you watch but it is a different breed. PHYSICAL AS HELL!!!!

Good point! i was really just thinking about football....

I think this is a good positive step for the ACC. Making a decent ripple to get to 14, i just hope we make a big splash for 15 and 16. <----like i said earlier all dependent on VT staying in the ACC, if we are headed out i couldnt care less.

HokieGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
As of right now, Pitt and Cuse have only APPLIED to become members of the ACC...nothing is cast in concrete at this point.

But, ESPN is reporting that at LEAST ten teams have applied to the ACC. Wow!

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thing is if we go to 16 teams and add the northern big east schools in pitt, uconn, rutgers, and syracuse, it doesnt really help us that much in football. it helps us a lot in basketball, but who cares. we dont need the help that much in bball. in football, it doesnt do jack. pitt and wvu add strength in football, thats about it from the big east.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But, ESPN is reporting that at LEAST ten teams have applied to the ACC. Wow!

Are any of those 10 Texas? If not, then who cares. We should still be looking elsewhere. But if Texas really wants to join the ACC, then stay put. Texas in the ACC would make the conference relevant nationally so if we were to stay, all we'd really have to do extra is beat Texas. That's a whole lot easier than adjusting to the SEC for example

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I heard some very interesting stuff about this today. FWIW i think the chances that VT leaves the ACC are very slim (unless other teams leave). I also think that TX and TT are two of the top ACC targets.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys might as well stay put in the ACC. What's the problem, anyway?

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
coach k wants the acc to go to 16 teams

maybe something like this?

north

bc
syracuse
pitt
maryland
virginia
virginia tech
west virginia?
uconn/rutgers/temple?

south

nc state
unc
wake
duke
clemson
georgia tech
fsu
miami

id actually really like to take west virginia. to me the whole "wvu doenst have the academics for the ACC" argument reeks of a uva-esque argument. bottom line is that they are in our region, are a rival team, and would improve both football and basketball in the ACC. id rather another team besides uconn because i just dont see any real long-term potential for their football program.

rfjeff9

THWG!!!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,435.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like adding WVU. I don't think they get in, but I like the football there.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want WVU. I hate them so much I don't care if we ever play them again.