• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Vezina Watch

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to jinx a guy, but maybe it's time to move a certain goalie's name up the 2016 Vezina leaderboard?

vezina.JPG

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's quietly having a great season with the Wings, that's for sure.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While its a nice thought, Petr has three things going against him,

1. Because the Wings will continue to play Jimmy-5-hole, his wins will be too low.

2. Coaches and goalies are rarely considered for awards as long as they are a winged wheeler.

3. Holtby.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mrazek has definitely proved that he earned that huge fucking contract.

Wait...

So what you're getting at is... In glorious Toronto fashion, Shanny will let Reimer walk at season's end and trade Bernier to Detroit for Howard?

:D

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it'd take injury or falling off a cliff for it not to be Holtby.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what you're getting at is... In glorious Toronto fashion, Shanny will let Reimer walk at season's end and trade Bernier to Detroit for Howard?

Nahhh, it's Loui Lams now...so Mrazek for the Pens first that TO has.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wings will keep Howard, if for nothing more than keeping Mrasek's RFA salary down.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While its a nice thought, Petr has three things going against him,

1. Because the Wings will continue to play Jimmy-5-hole, his wins will be too low.

2. Coaches and goalies are rarely considered for awards as long as they are a winged wheeler.

3. Holtby.

Unless Mrazek gets hurt, Jimmy will be the backup goalie and he will be played like one for the rest of the year. What hurts Mrazek's win totals are that he split time with Jimmy for the first two months of the season and because the Wings give Mrazek a lot less goal support than guys like Holtby and Crawford are getting.

Holtby will be the frontrunner for the Vezina and will probably get it. Notice how I carefully worded my original post. I didn't say Mrazek should win the Vezina. Thing is... Mrazek hasn't even been in the conversation. My true objective was to simply inject him into the conversation.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wings will keep Howard, if for nothing more than keeping Mrasek's RFA salary down.

Probably at least through one more year. Long term, the Wings will not be able to sustain $10M/y tied up in goalies unless someone kills the cap.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Mrazek gets hurt, Jimmy will be the backup goalie and he will be played like one for the rest of the year. What hurts Mrazek's win totals are that he split time with Jimmy for the first two months of the season and because the Wings give Mrazek a lot less goal support than guys like Holtby and Crawford are getting.

Holtby will be the frontrunner for the Vezina and will probably get it. Notice how I carefully worded my original post. I didn't say Mrazek should win the Vezina. Thing is... Mrazek hasn't even been in the conversation. My true objective was to simply inject him into the conversation.

I'm not so sure of that considering second game back after the ASG against the division leader, they played Howard, Petr was plenty rested. The rest of you're message I get... Save percentage reflects his lack of team support and how well he has played. :suds:

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably at least through one more year. Long term, the Wings will not be able to sustain $10M/y tied up in goalies unless someone kills the cap.

And if Mrazek pans out to be a legit great starter, then they will dump the 5-hole.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure of that considering second game back after the ASG against the division leader, they played Howard, Petr was plenty rested. The rest of you're message I get... Save percentage reflects his lack of team support and how well he has played. :suds:

Playing your backup goalie in the second game of a back-to-back is standard practice. Playing Mrazek both games would've been abnormal. If Blashill plays Mrazek every game, I'd be concerned about wearing him out before the playoffs. Gotta get Jimmy in there every once in a while.

Wings saw Montoya yesterday.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if Mrazek pans out to be a legit great starter, then they will dump the 5-hole.

The "dump" is probably going to be a tricky one. I think it might take a major goalie injury to a team in the heat of a playoff race to want to take Jimmy on. Or maybe Bobby Lou retires and Tallon decides he'd rather try his hand on a guy like Howard than an unproven youngster or career backup like Montoya.

Wingingit

Non-Essential
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing your backup goalie in the second game of a back-to-back is standard practice. Playing Mrazek both games would've been abnormal. If Blashill plays Mrazek every game, I'd be concerned about wearing him out before the playoffs. Gotta get Jimmy in there every once in a while.

Wings saw Montoya yesterday.

Remains to be seen, my fear is that Blashill will continue to play Howard too much, trying to get him playing better and cause too many losses because of his inability to play big.

Montoya playing isn't the same thing, at this point the Panthers are well in control and Lou would have played three in five nights.

Anyhow, I like your thinking, I would really like to see Mrazek get at least some consideration.