• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Updates of Positions

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins had a setback at Safety with Delmas' injury however Playoff teams have to be able to overcome adversity. Aikens or Thomas may have what it takes. They will need to be ready because in the NFL teams will look to exploit any perceived weakness. A few INT's or PBU's and teams could get less comfortable throwing to that area. Aikens has had some time to develop with the Fins, the Fins may be alright at the Safety position. They may need to start developing another CB for depth at Safety even if they have the next Starter already on the roster.

The OG's look to be proving they belong. I think of one play in the Bears game when THill's internal clock said get rid of the ball & then he looked around & there was no one near him. I think it was the play when he threw the 19 yrd pass to Jennings. If the OG's keep playing like that it cause Mathis to lose a big contract with Miami.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that Aikens or Thomas will be fine since they've been in the system long enough now. Let the best man win! Delmas wasn't the long term solution anyway. Either way I feel bad for the man...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish him well with his recovery also. To have to go through that type of injury twice must be really tough. I wonder if he rushed his recovery the first time? The wet field yesterday probably didn't help. That said a person get an ACL tear on any surface. Let's hope the injury bug stays away from the Fins as much as possible. Another safety that could develop for the Fins is Cedric Thompson. He got some holding penalties in the Bears game but he is a playmaker in practices. He probably just needs time to develop.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on Thompson he seems to be around the ball a lot but he needs some time. FS will go to either Aikens or Thomas.

Looks like the G's are still open too we'll see who comes out on top but looks like it will be in house unless someone good gets cut and can be had for cheap.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be interesting to see how the Fins starting Dline play against the Falcons. Ryan has been having an outstanding preseason. If the Fins shut down the Falcons offense that would make a statement. Also, It's been good to see the OG's playing well. The number of snaps early in the game could reveal who wins the starting spots. I think Thomas has played well & Turner may be able to hold on to the RG spot. There have definitely been lots of positives for the Fins this offseason.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope that they don't mess around with the starting oline for this game a you need continuity. Plug the next best guy in and game plan around it. Linkenback or one of the FA'S otherwise you mess with the chemistry. I sure didn't help last year...

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few weeks ago the Fins' coaches put Thomas at LT during practice. I was wondering why since he's playing well at guard & Fox has played well enough while Albert has been out. I think it was a good decision. As long as Thomas can play OK in that spot on Saturday the Fin's offense may be alright. He has played there some last year. It is patchwork but it could work. If so, the Fins will need to decide if Douglas is ready to start during the game or if a veteran playing would be best. I think I like Thomas as a short term solution at LT rather than moving J James which would cause even more change to the Oline. THill is mobile so he's not an easy target for pass rushers. How the starters play is the most important part of preseason however hopefully, the team plays better in the 2nd half & wins for the home crowd. I will be at the stadium. The renovations are excellent from what I have heard & pictures I have seen. It could make for more of a homefield advantage & great to be closer to the field when seeing the game.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few weeks ago the Fins' coaches put Thomas at LT during practice. I was wondering why since he's playing well at guard & Fox has played well enough while Albert has been out. I think it was a good decision. As long as Thomas can play OK in that spot on Saturday the Fin's offense may be alright. He has played there some last year. It is patchwork but it could work. If so, the Fins will need to decide if Douglas is ready to start during the game or if a veteran playing would be best. I think I like Thomas as a short term solution at LT rather than moving J James which would cause even more change to the Oline. THill is mobile so he's not an easy target for pass rushers. How the starters play is the most important part of preseason however hopefully, the team plays better in the 2nd half & wins for the home crowd. I will be at the stadium. The renovations are excellent from what I have heard & pictures I have seen. It could make for more of a homefield advantage & great to be closer to the field when seeing the game.
First of all have a GREAT time at the game I wish I could be there! Please update us on the experience and the stadium reno's that you like.

I'm just a little indifferent to messing with two positions to patch one up. I'd sooner leave Thomas at LG and put the next best sub in there. The only reason I wouldn't do this is if they have absolutely no faith in the 3rd string LT and fear the QB being injured. Moving James over last year was a mistake so Thomas would be a better option if there's nothing else. If this happens we have to hope that between Thomas and Douglas the left side will be serviceable....Go Fins Go!!!!!

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks FlyerFinFan. I'm enjoying a pregame concert. It's a Christian Rock Band called Audio Adrenalin.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is a jazz band playing for the club level patrons and a prize of sunglasses for fans that have the winning seat number. Seats are noticeably closer to the field. It's a great game experience. Go Fins!

Reactions: SLY

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see we're still doing awful in the red zone. I've been a casual NFL fan for over 10 years now. I'm going to try and get back into it, so you may see me more here.

Go Fins!

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see we're still doing awful in the red zone. I've been a casual NFL fan for over 10 years now. I'm going to try and get back into it, so you may see me more here.

Go Fins!

Sly,

The Fins' starters played well in the first two preseason games. Even in the game tonight the Fins' had much more total yards than the Falcons in the first half. I think the Fins' offense will be better than last year in the red zone. The Fins have key starters that are now in the 2nd year of Bill Lazor's system & that helps a lot. The story of this game was the Fins defense. The Falcons had the 8th best offense in the league last year & the Fins held them to three FG's with no TD's. Ryan had very little time in the pocket. DT Mitchell looked great in this game. Ryan got rid of the ball 1 to 2 seconds before Suh would have had a sack in the end zone. The Fins defense is impressive. The offense will have good field position more often because the Fins defense will cause lots of short drives & punts.

Reactions: SLY

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An important positional competition is Franks vs Sturgis. Franks has a big leg. His kickoffs are usually out of the end zone. He hit a 49 yrd FG right down the middle last night. He may not have the injury problems that Sturgis has been having during his career. He has been as accurate as Sturgis this preseason. Franks may win the starting kicker job.

One positional battle that seems decided is WR. Matthews is fast, physical and runs good routes. I'm sure he'll win a spot on the 53 man roster as one of the WR's.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will be interesting to see what happens here I don't expect a kicking change as the money is similar. Punter was different due to the large cap hit next year.

I'd like to see a good mix of vets and rookies make it.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Sturgis becomes more accurate then he's a good choice. He has been less than 80 % in his NFL career. A guy like Gostkowski hits more than 90 % of his kicks. That's a big difference in a close game. Sturgis was 6 of 10 in the 40 to 49 yard range. That needs to improve. He was 3 of 6 from beyond 50. The team needs to be more selective regarding when he kicks. Gostkowski for example was asked only 1 time to kick beyond 50 yards. Games can be decided by those kicks. Also, if Sturgis keeps the job I hope he can stay healthy. There is usually only 1 kicker on a game day roster even if the Fins keep Franks on the practice squad.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree as a coach you need to pick your spots. Punts are usually the logical choice especially with a good D.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Fins need to factor stadium conditions well also. Gillette Stadium for example has an open area on one of the end zones. It is much harder to make kicks on that side of the field. The Pats make good choices about when to kick there. The Fins should also.