• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

UPDATED 1/10/2013 10:30PM: Offensive coaching staff for next year

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Weird....I just looked to see how Stanford's team offense compares to ours in yards and points. They are dead even in total yardage for the year. Also, they average 3 points more per game, and about 30 yards more in rushing.
What exactly would we expect to see more of under Hamilton if he is hired? Obviously this does't mean much, but I am just curious as to what types of changes we should expect.

Their QB to start the year was horrible. He had a QB rating about the same as LTs and that was with a good running game. The main reason the stats are similar was because their schedule was way tougher.

BeachNHokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the perception of Stanford and what Stanford really is are two different things.

Sure right now they are a top 15 team but they arent a top 15 program. Their fan support is crappy and you will always have the academic folks to answer to.

This I can absolutely confirm about fan support. I went to the Oregon/Stanford game last year in Palo Alto and I was appalled by the lack of atmosphere and support for a game of 4 vs 6. Be very happy that you are a VT fan because we have all been spoiled by the atmosphere in Lane (I get goosebumps just typing that). I am so happy that my next duty station is back home in VB so I can catch some games next season.

Hokie Swagger

@hokieswagger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Weird....I just looked to see how Stanford's team offense compares to ours in yards and points. They are dead even in total yardage for the year. Also, they average 3 points more per game, and about 30 yards more in rushing.
What exactly would we expect to see more of under Hamilton if he is hired? Obviously this does't mean much, but I am just curious as to what types of changes we should expect.

We have to take into account though that they were playing a freshman QB for most of the season and played a much tougher schedule, while we had a r-Jr playing. We could expect a pro-style offense rather than a hodgepodge of schemes. He likes to use jumbo sets, multiple tight end sets, and he has said that the jumbo packages help to get young o-linemen playing time and help them get ready to play later in their careers. he also calls o-linemen playmakers. He likes to wear teams down. This would be the perfect offense for us.

hokiecat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Stanford offensive scheme is similar to the old VT scheme when we had guys like Kevin Jones. It would be an improvement over our current trash (but what wouldn't). It is VT football.

And the scheme works. The Pac-10/12 has this rock/paper/scissors at the top where power Stanford beats talent USC beats speed Oregon beats power Stanford. Except SC-W was just awful this year (which is great because I hate that punk bitch Kiffin for being a baby when we whipped them in the bowl game vs Tennessee.

Taz_Hokie

Ut Prosim
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Stanford offensive scheme is similar to the old VT scheme when we had guys like Kevin Jones. It would be an improvement over our current trash (but what wouldn't). It is VT football.

And the scheme works. The Pac-10/12 has this rock/paper/scissors at the top where power Stanford beats talent USC beats speed Oregon beats power Stanford. Except SC-W was just awful this year (which is great because I hate that punk bitch Kiffin for being a baby when we whipped them in the bowl game vs Tennessee.

:lol:

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
hehe .. both of 'em could end up 'der

Kyle Bailey ‏@TheClubhouseKB

A source tells me that #Hokies QB Coach/Playcaller Mike O'Cain is a potential candidate to be the offensive coordinator at #JMU.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
hehe .. both of 'em could end up 'der

I don't want any of the offensive coaches that are kicked out of VT to retire. I want them to get jobs elsewhere ALL of which will be demotions and proof that they suck

MattB4VT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... USC guy, as I thought. No way pep leaves STANFORD for us. Would be a demotion, honestly

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would much rather have Hamilton than Elliott but hell anything is an improvement

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Anybody including the coaches at Stanford that thinks they can sustain their success is delusional. The post-Luck/Harbaugh Stanford will be the one that everyone is used to seeing

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody including the coaches at Stanford that thinks they can sustain their success is delusional. The post-Luck/Harbaugh Stanford will be the one that everyone is used to seeing

I expect them to remain a top 25 team for a period of time. The offense they run doesnt need top notch athletes, it needs brutes and they are able to recruit that there now. Harbaugh set them up for success, its just if Shaw can continue it. Luck was very good, dont get me wrong, but his numbers weren't what carried them. They are a power running team who knows when to throw play action passes. Luck was the perfect fit there because he was extremely accurate and didnt try and force those plays when they werent there.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd prefer Pep but I doubt VT would pay him enough to lure him away. Not that Stanford is great, but that he's probably another good year or two away from being a HC candidate. So I doubt he makes a lateral move if the pay doesn't warrant it because he knows he can do better in just a short time. If I were Weaver, I'd offer him top OC dollar with the incentive that if he does a great job he'll have the inside track to Frank's office once he retires in a couple of years. The more I read (and remember from watching Stanford), the more I think he'd be a perfect fit. Especially if he brings in a solid OL coach

But, we'll probably go with Elliot for various reasons both money related and connections with current staff. He could still be a good option. I just think Pep is better

Last edited by a moderator:

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How in the hell is Stanford a better job than Virginia tech?

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then I will seriously be pissed if he continues to have any role other than recruiting coordinator.

From what i understand, you will probably not be pissed then. Even if he does have an alternate role....it should be minor and he would have a very small role on the offensive staff.

VTfoozball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I expect them to remain a top 25 team for a period of time. The offense they run doesnt need top notch athletes, it needs brutes and they are able to recruit that there now. Harbaugh set them up for success, its just if Shaw can continue it. Luck was very good, dont get me wrong, but his numbers weren't what carried them. They are a power running team who knows when to throw play action passes. Luck was the perfect fit there because he was extremely accurate and didnt try and force those plays when they werent there.

They got a recruiting boost because of Harbaugh and the success he brought them and unlike VT they've got good assistants on both sides of the ball. Admission standards are too high for the recruiting to be sustained when assistants bail for better jobs. Plus they recruited Ryan Burns whose JR film looks godawful