• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Two things that happened subtly

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
In case you haven't been paying close attention, a couple things have happened in the last week or so that are signs that the team is moving in the right direction.

First, Jordy Mercer has all but taken over the SS position. He has started 8 consecutive gamesbat the position, thus making Clint Barmes a much improved version of John McDonald. I still believe that Barmes has a lot of value to the team and I am perfectly fine with him staying for the rest of the season in this role. If Mercer really begins to struggle we can easily transition back to Barmes.

Second, and I didn't notice this until tonight, but Pedro has started his accent to the middle of the batting order. Last time I remember looking at where he was hitting he was in the 7 spot. Tonight he is batting 5th. Typically as he gets closer and closer to the 4 hole he begins to regress. However at the time of this writing he has 2 hits one of which is a homerun in the game. For us to be competitive, we need his bat hitting in the middle of the lineup.

Those are just two things I have noticed, there are probably more.

On an unrelated note, I will be watching intently to see how Huntington handles the James McDonald situation. He has to come off the rehab assignement soon and he is not pitching well enough to even be in our bullpen right now. With how many teams are already looking for pitching help, I could see him being traded for a PTBNL or cash in the very near future.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hate to see McDonald traded for a PTBNL... Would be able to accept it if it meant that we got a impact bat from the marlins or the twins....

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hate to see McDonald traded for a PTBNL... Would be able to accept it if it meant that we got a impact bat from the marlins or the twins....

Unfortunately that is not what McDonalds value is right now.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not suggesting a trade straight up... Obviously other pieces would be included... But this is a proven MLB pitcher... He has more value than a PTBNL

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am not suggesting a trade straight up... Obviously other pieces would be included... But this is a proven MLB pitcher... He has more value than a PTBNL

Could you explain what you mean by "proven MLB pitcher?" He was very good for half a season and has been just about a bad #5 starter the rest of his career. Sure he has more talent than that, but he has not performed up to the level of his talent and therefore is no better than a bad #5 starter that we have no room for on the major league roster. He has to come off the dl soon and there is not one pitcher in the rotation or in the bullpen I would replace with him.

I just can't find much trade value in him.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Crow,

He has proven that he can get major league hitters out. If you want to make the argument that he has not done enough at the MLB level to justify a roster spot... So be it... I will point out that Locke and Gomez have only been in the rotation a very short time and have less talent than McDonald. So while you might say you cannot see him on this roster over anything we currently have... He has as much or more trade value than Locke.

He is youngish, he is cheap and he has shown even if briefly that he can pitch like a #2 starter in this league... Throw in the fact that he has a lot of natural talent....This kid has trade value.

we may have to just disagree here.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
McD has potential, that is for sure.
does he have value, it depends on how confident someone feels about getting mcD to function at his potential ASAP.
right now, we would be selling at his lowest point. so our return is debatable, but certainly the lowest it has been over the last several years. even selling this summer would have gotten more than now with the recent track record of injury and the poor starts at the MLB level and in the minors against weaker hitters.

the ideal situation, he gets reinjured, that usual vague lower back strain or arm fatigue, and he gets x more weeks to rehab and prove he has stuff and brains to get people out at the mlb level.
second best, he is able and willing to go to the minors and work out his issues.
either way, we can hopefully use him, or sell at a higher value than his current value would bring back.
it seems like you can never have too much pitching, but when people are ou of options, you can only get 5 on the mlb roster and maybe hide one in long relief, so you got to trade the others.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wouldn't surprise me if McDonald was shut down for the season. I expect at least for a "setback" to be reported soon.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It wouldn't surprise me if McDonald was shut down for the season. I expect at least for a "setback" to be reported soon.

would be similar to karstens, but we have more control of McD and therefore opportunity to gain value and be a chip for future additions, or better yet, he beats out one of our soon to be turned over (burnett, wandy).