• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Turkey Hunting

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Went out yesterday without having struck up a roosted bird the night before. I did manage to call in a bird but alas, it was a hen. Still, we had quite the conversation and she came all the way into my decoys so I know my calling and set-up were ok.

I'll try again next weekend.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing at that other spot but on the way to work I've passed some gobblers strutting in a field where a member of my golf league is the caretaker. I approached him just for the hell of it Tuesday night...long story short, he's gonna let me take a bird off his farm this Saturday. When I stopped over, there were three of them in the back yard. He showed me where they are at first light and sure enough again, when I drove by this a.m., there they were. I stopped mid-day and cut a hiding spot into a brush pile at a fence row. I'll put out a jake and a hen decoy, load up my red-dot 12 gauge and unless this nasty weather pattern changes 'em up real good, I should be roasting a bird this week.

I'm beyond excited and really appreciative of my friend's generosity.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of turkeys in this area. I didn't hunt them this season so, naturally, everywhere I looked there was a big ol' tom strutting his stuff.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well a big 'ole Tom strutted a tad too close to my 11-87 yesterday morning at 9:00 O'clock!

Started the first few hours out in a driving rain but then it cleared. This tom was henned up at first light. He came to check out my calling and strutted about 100yds out but then went back to his ladies. An hour later he was back with a younger bird. I worked them for about 15 minutes and he broke. He came across a large field. The very cool thing is that I made a holder for my phone and I caught the kill on crystal clear video.

I put a red-dot sight on my gun last fall and I gotta tell you, I feel like it's friggin' cheating. It's automatic...just set the dot, slap the trigger and start warming up the oven. This boy got flattened immediately and barely even flapped. I took him at about 20 yards.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a hunter but did go turkey hunting in Western Pennsylvania with a couple friends in high school. I must say, calling one in was such an intense experience. Especially when it gets close. I really enjoyed it and would love to do it again but there aren't many turkeys around here in Southern Indiana. Probably the only hunting I would ever want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the HS friends reminds me of my worst turkey hunt I have ever been on. Got talked into taking some old friends that had never been at about midnight after drinking. Said sure, we got our stuff and headed up. I thought, no way will we even see a turkey, out of 5 guys only 2 had camo. We set up on all 4 corners of a field. I sat down in a bush, camoed up and started laughing that this was a waisted trip. Thought it would be just fine to take a nap since no sleep. I awoke to a noise of something walking right next to me. When I say "right next to me" I am literally saying under 3 feet away, around 2 feet, directly to my right. I thought it was one of the other guys but still instinctively just moved mostly my eyes. When I saw something black and short move behind me, I realized it was a damn turkey. I figured I would spin, lock in and nail him. When I spun, there was nothing. I didn't realize there was a crevace directly behind me. I finally realized that his head was the only thing bobbing up and down to get a shot at. Spun at 180, trying to pick off a bobbing head was like sending darts out of an airplane trying to hit a mailbox. I whiffed so freaken bad on the first shot. The bird got up and flew to my left and I whiffed again.

I still get laughed at about that hunt from the "great hunter", lol