• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Trip to Fresno St - High Risk Low Reward

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
High risk, low reward for Huskers at Fresno - Big Ten Blog - ESPN

College football, in this first season of the playoff era, has never been more split down the middle.

On one side stands the Power 5: SEC, Big 12, Big Ten, Pac-12, ACC and Notre Dame. On the other, the Group of 5: AAC, MAC, Conference-USA, Sun Belt, Mountain West and other independents.

With autonomy upon us, the chasm promises to grow. And in coming years, undoubtedly, you’ll see fewer Power 5 teams go on the road to play Group of 5 schools.

This season, there are 27 such contests. Already, of the 13 played in Weeks 1 and 2, seven were decided by eight points or fewer – close shaves like Arizona 26, UTSA 23 and Colorado 41, UMass 38, which leave you to wonder why major-conference schools consider such scheduling tactics.

On Saturday, Nebraska visits Fresno State in what rates as maybe the most difficult of all to justify. Yes, it was planned back in 2008, and the Huskers got two home games from Fresno in return.

But little upside exists for Bo Pelini’s team, and the potential for trouble is high.

Most of the 27 games fit into one of two categories -- sometimes both -- to explain their inclusion on the schedule:

Regional significance. Oklahoma’s visit to Tulsa last week generated goodwill within the state and drew a sizeable fan following for the visitor. Other games like this include Arizona State at New Mexico, Indiana at Bowling Green, North Carolina at East Carolina, Texas A&M at SMU, TCU at SMU and Texas Tech at UTEP.
Recruiting. Power 5-at-Group of 5 games are often scheduled to strengthen pipelines or establish connections in talent-rich areas. This explains Louisville and Pittsburgh at Florida International, Maryland and NC State at South Florida, Mississippi State at South Alabama, Georgia Tech at Tulane, Rutgers at Navy and, to perhaps a lesser extent, Missouri at Toledo.

Washington and Oregon State both squeaked past Hawaii this month. No further details required.

That leaves 10 games: Wake Forest, a football lightweight amid the ACC, lost at Louisiana-Monroe and plays at Utah State; Virginia plays at BYU, a heavyweight amid the independents. For no good reason, Washington State went to Nevada and lost. Similarly, you’ve got Duke at Troy, Syracuse at Central Michigan, Baylor at Buffalo and the aforementioned Arizona-UTSA and Colorado-UMass perplexities.

So why does Nebraska-Fresno State stand out? Because it’s Nebraska, which outranks all of the above Power 5 schools -- aside from Oklahoma, A&M and Washington -- by a solid margin in financial resources and history.

It’s like Texas playing at Wyoming, which happened five years ago as part of another two-for-one.

Moreover, these Bulldogs, after an 0-2 start on the road, are some kind of a different animal at home. Fresno State has won 13 straight games at Bulldog Stadium, the second-longest home streak nationally.

It is 13-0 in night games over the past two years. Saturday’s kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. in California -- 9:30 on Nebraska clocks. And these trends are nothing new. From 1998 to 2013, Fresno hosted 11 BCS conference teams and won eight times.

But it’s California, I’ve heard, where Nebraska invests in recruiting. Recent visits to USC and UCLA offered great exposure. Look at a map; Fresno doesn’t register to prospects in the state’s heavily populated areas.

Pelini says the Huskers will be prepared for the trap environment, that they’ve given great consideration to the challenges of this trip. They’re practicing in Lincoln on Friday and arriving later than usual out West to stay on schedule in hopes that the odd circumstances don’t mess with the routine.

Nebraska's future schedule features home-and-home series with Miami, starting next week, Oregon, Colorado, Oklahoma and Tennessee.

Credit the Huskers for their willingness to venture off course in scheduling. But if it gets hairy on Saturday night, they should have known what to expect.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report Brain Pedersen predicts a win by Fresno State, 31 - 27.

Not exactly sure what he is smoking.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no reason to just believe we are gonna go in there and own these guys.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the road, at night......when was the last time we dominated in that environment?

Kansas State in 2010?

blkflagmafia

BANG BANG BLACK FLAG GBR!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bleacher Report Brain Pedersen predicts a win by Fresno State, 31 - 27.

Not exactly sure what he is smoking.

it's really not that crazy. our offense is looking hit or miss or defense looks out of place and lacks killer speed.

it's on the road to so who know but that mcneese st game showed another blue print on how to beat us

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To put it in perspective, that game at Kansas State in 2010 was when Bo Pelini was at his absolute highest point.

Right now he is sitting on most people's hot seat. There is a ton of uncertainty surrounding the program right now.

If we go into Fresno and dominate, it will possibly be a sign that things are changing. To me, Fresno at night is about like Penn State at night. They may not be good this year, but it doesn't matter. It's still Fresno at night.

I will be completely satisfied winning by 7 points.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Fresno State is about on par with FAU.

NcNeese State was an embarrassment and I think Nebraska will come out better in this game. By coming out better, the bar has not been set very high after that McNeese State game.

As has been mentioned on here, then Nebraska will be all cocky for the Hurricane game and lose that one.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the game was at Nebraska @ 2:30 pm I'd have no problem saying we win handily.

But it's at Fresno and it's in the dark. And those fans will be crazy knowing Nebraska is coming to town.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Fresno is doing a red out or "Red Wave Takeover Saturday" so we'll feel right at home.

HuskerinBig10

Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Fresno is doing a red out or "Red Wave Takeover Saturday" so we'll feel right at home.

`Dogs Host Huskers for Red Wave Takeover Saturday - Fresno State Official Athletic Site

some blurbs from that link

Bulldog Headlines
• There are roughly around 300 public tickets remaining as of the start of the week.
• Fresno State generated over $1.5 million in gross revenue from ticket sales for the game, which is the largest amount ever for any Fresno State game at Bulldog Stadium.

Scouting Nebraska
The Huskers enter Saturday's game ranked No. 21 nationally in the USA Today Coaches Poll with a 2-0 record. Nebraska has wins over Florida Atlantic and McNeese State and this game against the Bulldogs will be its first on the road this year. Nebraska has posted some impressive statistical numbers in its first two games. The Huskers have rushed for an average of 346.5 yards per game and 610.5 yards of total offense while allowing just 31 total points in two games and 269.0 yards per contest through two weeks. The Husker secondary has only allowed an average of 127.5 yards per game through the air so far this season.

Fresno State head coach DeRuyter is the douche A&M DC that was gifted a win by the Big 12 officiating crew led by Greg Burks in 2010. I wish him luck at Fresno State, sincerely, I do.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Nebraska to cover fairly easily.

They always bounce back against chumps when Bo can motivate with "Us against the world".

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Nebraska to cover fairly easily.

They always bounce back against chumps when Bo can motivate with "Us against the world".

On the road in an extremely hostile environment, though?

We usually bounce back with a win, but it's a hard fought one.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the road in an extremely hostile environment, though?

We usually bounce back with a win, but it's a hard fought one.

Actually I take that back.

2010 was the last time they bounced back with a decent margin of victory when the masses were irate.

Lost to Texas. The next game they won by 10 @ #17 Oklahoma St.
Lost at Texas A&M. The next game they won by 28 over Colorado.

I wouldn't bet the house on it, but I still like Nebraska to cover the 10.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think about games like Okie State @ Iowa State a couple years ago.

This is pretty much that game. One team is far more talented than the other......but the game is at night......and it's on the road. It's just intimidating for kids.

The game being at night makes a huge difference.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only that, but personally I think a spread of 10 has stank written all over it.

On paper Nebraska should win by far more than 10.

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fresno is turbul.

Players and Coaches not taking McNeese seriously, seems more likely than us just being that bad.

We'll be fine.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh they are horrible.

But we're still Nebraska with Bo as our coach and it's still at Fresno State at night in one of the most difficult environments in the country.

ida one

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Not to be a pessimist, but Fresno has proven to be tough in a lot of other fields as well. I think the Huskers win, but it's going to be closer than you think.
Fresno gets up for big games so i wouldn't go in thinking they will win handily.
I would like to see Fresno win, (being from the Mnt. West. but i don't see it happening.

Good luck to both teams

White Rat

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the 41,031 people in the stadium, at least a 3rd will be cheering for Nebraska. There are a lot of Husker transplants in California that have been waiting to see a game close to home. Husker by 17.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McNeese State was great and we just overlooked them on that day.

Nebraska by 7 TD's guise.