• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Training Camp news

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Lewis starting- y’all are meaning as the slot corner right? I’m assuming Jones and Awuzie will be the top 2. Awuzie has changed his number to 24 also.

That is what I am assuming. I am hoping that Awuzie becomes the best 2nd rounder we have had since ........... Sean Lee.

And Byron (I have a hard time calling him BJ :noidea:) Looks like he is in his right spot to shine.

Also watching vids I noticed Brown getting beat and one time, real bad.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as Lewis starting- y’all are meaning as the slot corner right? I’m assuming Jones and Awuzie will be the top 2. Awuzie has changed his number to 24 also.
Yes, for me I'm assuming slot corner, but not ruling out starting on the outside completely either. Looks like Jones and Awuzie as we sit here today, but Lewis was very good for a guy thrown out there with almost no practice last year when he started on the outside.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, for me I'm assuming slot corner, but not ruling out starting on the outside completely either. Looks like Jones and Awuzie as we sit here today, but Lewis was very good for a guy thrown out there with almost no practice last year when he started on the outside.

Cole and Awuzie were lined up against each other. By the time the ball was thrown, Cole had turned Awuzie around and he was a good ten yards from him. Awuzie slipped but Cole runs a hell of a route to get him turned the way he did.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In today’s NFL though, if a defense is on the field 70 snaps- wouldn’t you think the 3rd CB is on the field for 50ish?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I wonder if the best base alignment for this secondary would be something like...

RCB: Byron Jones....FS: Xavier Woods....SS: Chidobe Awuzie....LCB: Jourdan Lewis

In Nickel and Dime packages Awuzie can drop down to cover the slot and Heath or Frazier can sub is as the SS. Anthony Brown, or whoever wins the job would be the 4th. I think Awuzie could be the guy Dallas wanted Byron Jones to be.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the best base alignment for this secondary would be something like...

RCB: Byron Jones....FS: Xavier Woods....SS: Chidobe Awuzie....LCB: Jourdan Lewis

In Nickel and Dime packages Awuzie can drop down to cover the slot and Heath or Frazier can sub is as the SS. Anthony Brown, or whoever wins the job would be the 4th. I think Awuzie could be the guy Dallas wanted Byron Jones to be.
Who knows. IMO none of our "better" DBs, including Jones and Awuzie, are SS's. Putting Awuzie there only misuses him as it did Jones IMO. The first year Jones was back there he was being touted as a future Pro Bowler. That was the year we played mostly two deep. Then we started moving more and more often towards just Heath as a FS in the deep middle and Jones' play dropped dramatically as he played more and more of a somewhat traditional SS role. We need a SS that is a SS, not a cover guy playing SS. Heath is not really that. Frazier looks to be that, but needs to come off the field in passing situations as his coverage has been very poor since he has been here.

If you are talking about in nickel situations only I would imagine Awuzie can do that, but I like him playing tough man coverage at the line more. What I like about our CBs is that I think they can all play press coverage and I think with the new coaching they will be asked to do so a lot more. It will be interesting to see how Heath does lining up in the box this year from time to time with Woods deep. It doesn't look like a FA safety is coming through the door to take that spot. If it were up to me I let Richard put these guys where he thinks they fit best and see what happens. For me that is Awuzie and Jones on the outside and Lewis in the slot with Woods at FS and SS TBD. My gut would start Frazier on run downs and put Heath or someone else out there in passing situations. We don't play as traditional a SS as many teams, but at least on early downs I would like someone that can stick his nose in there against the run and also take on a block and still make a play. Heath does the former, but not really the latter.

Regardless I am so excited about having Richard coaching these guys. I am probably too excited and expecting too much of an improvement, but there is talent in our defensive backfield.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who knows. IMO none of our "better" DBs, including Jones and Awuzie, are SS's. Putting Awuzie there only misuses him as it did Jones IMO. The first year Jones was back there he was being touted as a future Pro Bowler. That was the year we played mostly two deep. Then we started moving more and more often towards just Heath as a FS in the deep middle and Jones' play dropped dramatically as he played more and more of a somewhat traditional SS role. We need a SS that is a SS, not a cover guy playing SS. Heath is not really that. Frazier looks to be that, but needs to come off the field in passing situations as his coverage has been very poor since he has been here.

If you are talking about in nickel situations only I would imagine Awuzie can do that, but I like him playing tough man coverage at the line more. What I like about our CBs is that I think they can all play press coverage and I think with the new coaching they will be asked to do so a lot more. It will be interesting to see how Heath does lining up in the box this year from time to time with Woods deep. It doesn't look like a FA safety is coming through the door to take that spot. If it were up to me I let Richard put these guys where he thinks they fit best and see what happens. For me that is Awuzie and Jones on the outside and Lewis in the slot with Woods at FS and SS TBD. My gut would start Frazier on run downs and put Heath or someone else out there in passing situations. We don't play as traditional a SS as many teams, but at least on early downs I would like someone that can stick his nose in there against the run and also take on a block and still make a play. Heath does the former, but not really the latter.

Regardless I am so excited about having Richard coaching these guys. I am probably too excited and expecting too much of an improvement, but there is talent in our defensive backfield.

Fair enough. Personally I don't think Jones and Awuzie are the same type of players. I think Awuzie has an edge and toughness to his game that Jones lacks.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More Byron Jones...
Always seemed like a waste to line this guy up against TEs. Let him run.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough. Personally I don't think Jones and Awuzie are the same type of players. I think Awuzie has an edge and toughness to his game that Jones lacks.
Yes, I agree Awuzie is a more willing tackler. I meant more playing the run in the muck in the box isn't his thing as much as covering and running and stepping up to stop the run around to the outside is and I liked how he and Lewis both stood up at the line on the corner to defend the run last year.

Just saw this. Pertinent to the safety talk, but also about the young DBs all improving last year by year end:
Xavier Woods Isn’t Looking Over His Shoulder

Any update of Frazier's medical issue?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More Byron Jones...
Always seemed like a waste to line this guy up against TEs. Let him run.
The more I think about it the more I feel like I must be expecting too much from these young DBs. I look at the roster and I see 4 young guys that just look like they can be fantastic and then there is Brown who was very good as a rookie before taking a step backwards last year. They can't possibly all play as well as I am expecting, can they?

If we get a good pass rush and these DBs step up we may no longer go into panic mode every time the other team gets the ball in the two minute offense or at the end of the game.:hope:

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Gallup - WR - Cowboys
Cowboys third-round WR Michael Gallup has already received first-team reps in training camp.

The receiver-desperate Cowboys are not going to make rookie Gallup jump through any artificial hoops on his way to what will almost certainly be serious snaps/targets. He's been one of the Cowboys' most talked about players through the early days of camp. He's an excellent fifth or sixth receiver flier in fantasy drafts.

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I agree Awuzie is a more willing tackler. I meant more playing the run in the muck in the box isn't his thing as much as covering and running and stepping up to stop the run around to the outside is and I liked how he and Lewis both stood up at the line on the corner to defend the run last year.

Just saw this. Pertinent to the safety talk, but also about the young DBs all improving last year by year end:
Xavier Woods Isn’t Looking Over His Shoulder

Any update of Frazier's medical issue?

Frazier last I read had a shot at practicing today.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a positive assessment for Rico fans...

Jean-Jacques Taylor, Cowboys insider for NBC 5 in Dallas-Fort Worth (KXAS-TV) and host of J Dub City from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. weekdays on 103.3 KESN-FM, answered questions during a live chat recently about the Dallas Cowboys. Here are some of the highlights.

Question: What has been the most surprising story or development you've seen at training camp?

JJT:
I've been pretty surprised by how sluggish Rico Gathers looks. He looks slow and lumbering compared to the other tight ends. He doesn't look nearly as fluid. I'd say he's going to have a tough time making the team. Anything you talk about the tight ends with folks in the front office, his name is almost always the fourth out of their mouth. That's not a positive.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting brown over lewis is retarded. I don't care that Lewis is not over 6 foot. He is a great player

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a positive assessment for Rico fans...
I thought I read that Rico gained weight so he could block better? the thing that stands out to me is he was not activated last season.

I also read that Jarwin and 's schultz are looking great at catching the ball. Rico is not making the team unless there are a number of injuries IMO

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hello
Or he's playing closer to his 2016 level rather than 2017.

I'm staying glass half full at the moment.
Anthony Brown disappointing at training camp, bubble appearing?
"What can brown do for you?"

Lately? Nothing at all.

It can not be overstated just how important the coming 2018 season is for veteran cornerback Anthony Brown, who took a sizable step backwards in his second year. Although he showed signs of competent play, too often he failed to make the big play when given the chance. Ultimately, his poor play and inconsistency drove the Dallas Cowboys to bench him, as the team (finally) looked to make the necessary moves to give their dying season a chance. In the end, it was too little, too late -- and while he did snag two interceptions to go along with 11 pass deflections, his confidence took a big hit over the course of the season.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. Awuzie is far more physical than jones. Awuzie could succeed at safety IMO. hell, I think jourdan Lewis is more physical than jones. Letting Jones waste away at safety for several seasons was inexcusable