• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 P5 coaching jobs on the rise and Top 5 once elite but have fallen

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Three B1G teams on the falling fast list. Time for Indiana to pick up the slack.
Being a runner up in the pinstripe bowl should springboard us to the playoffs in the next few years.

You made me LOL.

I really like the statement, runner up in the Pinstripe. That is how I am going to describe bowl losses from now on for all teams.

Is Indiana going to move to the West Division? That would be their best move to make.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan fans are the cross fit, vegan, vaping, Jehova witnesses of the college football world. Yes we get it, you have Harbaugh as your Lord and Savior.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting worked up about some ESPN faux rankings is so 2008

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this thread basically saying - these would be good jobs if reality didn't exist?

I don't really think that. It is just comparing the coaching jobs now from 5-10 years ago. For the most part, I think it makes sense.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you couldn't pay me to visit the ESPN.com college football blogs during the offseason.

It took nothing to get you to open this thread.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It took nothing to get you to open this thread.

1) SportsHoopla =/= ESPN. Have some GD respect for this place.
2) Your thread title made no mention of ESPN or their shitty blog writing

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this thread basically saying - these would be good jobs if reality didn't exist?
I'm forced to agree with this nascar-land bumpkin

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I remember when we told Nebraska fans leaving the B12 would kill their recruiting in Texas, a state they DEPENDED on for talent.

Looks like everyone has figured this out now except them. That job really has fallen off the map.

The thing is though, just like Michigan......if they ever find the right coach, they're right back to being a top 10 program.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, Tennessee was supposed to be on the rise last year and nothing came of it.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you are saying you don't agree with that assessment of UW? It's in a major metro area, has a brand new stadium with brand new state of the art facilities and is on one of the greatest settings in college football right on Lake Washington. Those were mentioned or at least alluded to. Doesn't matter if you buy into the program being on the rise or not.

And Oregon has been slipping as predicted/expected. This year's 5th year transfer QB better pan out or a lot of feathers are going to be rustled this coming year. No wonder they are listed on the decline. Once the new car smell wears off and recruits wake up to see they are in Eugene it's only going to get worse.
new car smell that has been rising for the last 20 years? ok. Declining enough to beat both Pac 12 championship game participants and be in position to win the division at the final weekend? Im not even sold that Prukop will be the starter just yet anyway.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
new car smell that has been rising for the last 20 years? ok. Declining enough to beat both Pac 12 championship game participants and be in position to win the division at the final weekend? Im not even sold that Prukop will be the starter just yet anyway.
First decline in that 20 years. All that money spent and no national championships to show for it. All that bling didn't mean a thing in the end. Helf is no Kelly and it's showing. Kids are going to catch on and realize the ducks are yesterdays news soon enough. More lists like this will be forecasting the inevitable decline.

If the ducks were a stock, no one outside of duck land would be buying right now. Most would be dumping it fast.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe you are just looking through your maize and blue glasses and ignoring a decade of failure and wasted recruiting classes coming out of Ann Arbor. There has to be some significant decline when the AD is running buy two cokes get two free tickets promotion, fireworks, changing uniforms like your Oregon, hiring skywriters to fly over a rivals stadium and then lying about it.

And all of those don't matter in terms of landing top tier coaches.

Didny Harbs turn down the MI job before? Im guessing this stuff played a part.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didny Harbs turn down the MI job before? Im guessing this stuff played a part.
He wanted to go to the NFL. I can't blame him for that. That is the pinnacle of football for coaches. I'm happy he had a change of heart and came back though. While his style of coaching was obviously successful in the NFL, I think it is much more fit for the college game -- where players are working to get to the NFL, instead of working for that next contract.

Last edited:

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First decline in that 20 years. All that money spent and no national championships to show for it. All that bling didn't mean a thing in the end. Helf is no Kelly and it's showing. Kids are going to catch on and realize the ducks are yesterdays news soon enough. More lists like this will be forecasting the inevitable decline.

If the ducks were a stock, no one outside of duck land would be buying right now. Most would be dumping it fast.
not really the first "decline"
remember the Joey Harrington years? #2 in the country and then they went down, much farther than they are now or will be any time soon. but then they came back up. and they had mini dips and rises. Oregon will be in the hunt for the Pac title again this year.
You bring up NC but if Oregon never won one before, how can it be a decline if they still havent?

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wanted to go to the NFL. I can't blame him for that. That is the pinnacle of football for coaches. I'm happy he had a change of heart and came back though. While his style of coaching was obviously successful in the NFL, I think it is much more fit for the college game -- where players are working to get to the NFL, instead of working for that next contract.

"Dream job"

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nebraska didn't get a single Texan in their recruiting class? LOL, Reilly was the final straw

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You bring up NC but if Oregon never won one before, how can it be a decline if they still havent?
That was the point. Your pinnacle never reached the top and now it's all down hill from here.

Yeah, yeah, we get it. You don't see the handwriting on the wall. Wouldn't expect you to.