• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 5 Movies of 2017

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't seen many movies. The last 3 will get no Academy Award nominations. Technical awards maybe for the Last Jedi. Dunkirk should be a best pic nominee.
The best movie of the year is probably a gay romance and the next best is a mom, daughter movie. It doesn't mean that in going to watch them.

The Academy Awards have gotten plenty wrong over the years and every critic is going to have a different list. There is no point in conforming your opinion to consensus.

Slumdog Millionaire, Hurt Locker and Crash are mediocre movies.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It

Coco

War for the Planet of the Apes

John Wick Chapter 2

How to be a Latin Lover

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll admit I don't watch a ton of movies but they've become really easy to sift through. Trailers are more often than not movie summaries.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hidden Figures
Split
Logan
GOTG
........ Justice League. LOL. Just Kidding.

John Wick 2

olympicoscar

Life is what you've made of it.
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The best movie of the year is probably a gay romance and the next best is a mom, daughter movie. It doesn't mean that in going to watch them.

The Academy Awards have gotten plenty wrong over the years and every critic is going to have a different list. There is no point in conforming your opinion to consensus.

Slumdog Millionaire, Hurt Locker and Crash are mediocre movies.

I agree their not always right, but Slumdog Millionaire and The Hurt Locker are among the best pics of the 21st Century.

I realize that this is highly objective. You don't want to get so elite that no one has seen the pic or so low in standards that the pic is basically junk that took in 300 million.

I had a friend from NYC in the 1960's when I was in the Army, and his best picture list was always 5 movies I'd never hear of.

I think the movies I watch and the one's nominated are middle of the scale and generally are liked by the mass public. But yes, I agree, they make mistakes.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree their not always right, but Slumdog Millionaire and The Hurt Locker are among the best pics of the 21st Century.

I realize that this is highly objective. You don't want to get so elite that no one has seen the pic or so low in standards that the pic is basically junk that took in 300 million.

I had a friend from NYC in the 1960's when I was in the Army, and his best picture list was always 5 movies I'd never hear of.

I think the movies I watch and the one's nominated are middle of the scale and generally are liked by the mass public. But yes, I agree, they make mistakes.
I was actually going to wait for someone else to post a top movies of the year thread because there is usually one every year but we're running out of 2017. I haven't seen enough movies this year to get a good grasp but honestly I doubt many people have seen most of the acclaimed movies just due to the fact that ones like Phantom Thread and The Post are literally just coming out as far as I can tell. I'm also of the opinion that you can wait to see movies like these at home. Hollywood generally agrees with me which is why you just flat out don't see a lot of these movies coming out during the summer to compete with the blockbusters.

I think the Academy is generally pretty good with its picks (The Artist, Birdman, No Country, etc) but I definitely disagree with Hurt Locker. I think this video does a good job at looking at where it gets things wrong.

I also don't find the movie terribly worthwhile after the (fairly incredible) opening scene. I'd go into Slumdog Millionaire but thats definitely in the subjective territory. You also have people like the New Yorker saying that Three Billboards is worse than Jigsaw

“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” and “Jigsaw” Are the Same Movie

so its one of those things where critics can have an intelligent opinion without just assuming the consensus is going to have the same opinion. Maybe Logan Lucky won't be remembered 50 years from now but it does have a 7.1 IMDB and a 92% Rotten Tomatoes rating. Maybe Beauty and the Beast will just be seen as a safe movie but remaking arguably a top 3 Disney movie into a totally different format is anything but safe, imo.

Of course, I'll likely see Three Billboards, Phantom Thread, The Post and others at some point in time. I cut the cord and I don't have any kids so whenever anything decent comes on Netflix then it gets seen.

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was actually going to wait for someone else to post a top movies of the year thread because there is usually one every year but we're running out of 2017. I haven't seen enough movies this year to get a good grasp but honestly I doubt many people have seen most of the acclaimed movies just due to the fact that ones like Phantom Thread and The Post are literally just coming out as far as I can tell. I'm also of the opinion that you can wait to see movies like these at home. Hollywood generally agrees with me which is why you just flat out don't see a lot of these movies coming out during the summer to compete with the blockbusters.

I think the Academy is generally pretty good with its picks (The Artist, Birdman, No Country, etc) but I definitely disagree with Hurt Locker. I think this video does a good job at looking at where it gets things wrong.

I also don't find the movie terribly worthwhile after the (fairly incredible) opening scene. I'd go into Slumdog Millionaire but thats definitely in the subjective territory. You also have people like the New Yorker saying that Three Billboards is worse than Jigsaw

“Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri” and “Jigsaw” Are the Same Movie

so its one of those things where critics can have an intelligent opinion without just assuming the consensus is going to have the same opinion. Maybe Logan Lucky won't be remembered 50 years from now but it does have a 7.1 IMDB and a 92% Rotten Tomatoes rating. Maybe Beauty and the Beast will just be seen as a safe movie but remaking arguably a top 3 Disney movie into a totally different format is anything but safe, imo.

Of course, I'll likely see Three Billboards, Phantom Thread, The Post and others at some point in time. I cut the cord and I don't have any kids so whenever anything decent comes on Netflix then it gets seen.

I haven't seen Phantom Thread, or the Post either. There's also The Shape of Water. Three Billboards is not likely to get best pic, though a nomination is likely. F. McDormand could easily win Best Actress. Same thing with The Darkest Hour. Really good film and could sneak a best pic nomination, but Gary Oldham is big favorite for best Actor.

Then there is Call me by Your Name. It's a gay pic, so the board will hate it. Hollywood is very anti-Trump, so look out for Call me.... and The Post as the 2 favorites.

I do pay attention to Rotten Tomatoes and other reviewers. My kids and grandchildren loved Beauty. I have to admit I haven't seen Logan Lucky.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen Phantom Thread, or the Post either. There's also The Shape of Water. Three Billboards is not likely to get best pic, though a nomination is likely. F. McDormand could easily win Best Actress. Same thing with The Darkest Hour. Really good film and could sneak a best pic nomination, but Gary Oldham is big favorite for best Actor.

Then there is Call me by Your Name. It's a gay pic, so the board will hate it. Hollywood is very anti-Trump, so look out for Call me.... and The Post as the 2 favorites.

I do pay attention to Rotten Tomatoes and other reviewers. My kids and grandchildren loved Beauty. I have to admit I haven't seen Logan Lucky.
I actually think Hollywood being anti-Trump works against The Darkest Hour. Its portrayal of Dunkirk is a bit of confirmation bias. If you go into the Darkest Hour as a conservative, you'll come out thinking that the movie promotes aggressive views on war. If you go into it a liberal, its a much more complex movie that delves into the nature of politics and leadership. Its much like Wolf on Wall Street maybe not being obviously apparent to the average person. Gary Oldman IS great in it, though, but so is almost everyone else. Its a very well-acted movie.

Dunkirk is apparent. Its everything Michael Bay is not. It strips away all of the fantasy with war even if its the war we all know is justifiable. And yet...the movie won't let us look away from the truth or fill in the gaps with something different than what the human toll of war looks like. I've met many people who aren't that impressed with Dunkirk. It doesn't try to appeal to you and some people might be inclined to reject a movie that doesn't fall in line with how WW2 movies are supposed to go.

I suspect we'll be looking back at this year of movies as a once in a decade kind of year. I just don't think thats immediately apparent.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen episode 7 or 8 of star wars but apparently number 8 ruins the legacy of Luke Skywalker?

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Hollywood being anti-Trump works against The Darkest Hour. Its portrayal of Dunkirk is a bit of confirmation bias. If you go into the Darkest Hour as a conservative, you'll come out thinking that the movie promotes aggressive views on war. If you go into it a liberal, its a much more complex movie that delves into the nature of politics and leadership. Its much like Wolf on Wall Street maybe not being obviously apparent to the average person. Gary Oldman IS great in it, though, but so is almost everyone else. Its a very well-acted movie.

Dunkirk is apparent. Its everything Michael Bay is not. It strips away all of the fantasy with war even if its the war we all know is justifiable. And yet...the movie won't let us look away from the truth or fill in the gaps with something different than what the human toll of war looks like. I've met many people who aren't that impressed with Dunkirk. It doesn't try to appeal to you and some people might be inclined to reject a movie that doesn't fall in line with how WW2 movies are supposed to go.

I suspect we'll be looking back at this year of movies as a once in a decade kind of year. I just don't think thats immediately apparent.

Of course the situation with Churchill is completely different than now. No nuclear weapons and a country faced with fight on or face humiliating defeat. I'm a Conservative with foreign policy so I admire Churchill's position and take on the coming apocalypse.

I too have met a lot of people that are unimpressed with Dunkirk. Not enough action they tell me. The Admiral never moves off the dock is another complaint.

Starting with Saving Private Ryan, this has been a trend with war movies. I applaud that. War is the most horrible thing you can ever witness. World War 1 didn't really begin that pattern as a lot of people say. What started it was when you could really see it on film in the comfort of your living room or movie theatre.

I haven't seen all the movies yet, but I suspect you may be right.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In no particular order: Guardians of the Galaxy 2, John Wick 2, Belko Experiment, Split and Get Out.
I'd like to edit my list a little bit as I completely forgot about Logan. I'd add that and take out Get Out as that'd still be in my top 10 of the year.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phantom Thread will probably be a well done movie

But holy fuck does it look boring as shit

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No mention of Blade Runner 2049?

Fuck you all.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen The Shape of Water, which I can see make it into the top 5, but I'd probably go with

Baby Driver
The Big Sick
Blade Runner 2049
The Disaster Artist
I, Tonya

olympicoscar

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,999.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blade Runner 2049. Probably the best of them all. I didn't feel like paying for any of the others.

I thought it was very boring. A huge disappointment considering the first movie.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was very boring. A huge disappointment considering the first movie.
It kept my attention, and Deakins should finally get his long deserved Oscar.