• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Top 10 most controversial officating calls

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
8) Jerry Rice's fumble not ruled a fumble before T.O's Hail Mary

"Everyone remembers Terrell Owens catching a Hail Mary touchdown to lead the San Francisco 49ers over the Green Bay Packers in a wild card game at the end of the 1998 season. Not as many remember that Jerry Rice clearly fumbled earlier in the drive, but it wasn't called.

Oh I fucking remember. I'll tell you guys, I'm a pretty reasonable guy most of the time, but you catch me drunk, and I become the most bitter, cynical football fan in the world. I never forget any call I think went against the Pack (I conveniently forget most of the ones that go our way, but that isn't a factor when I'm a few drinks in).

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I fucking remember. I'll tell you guys, I'm a pretty reasonable guy most of the time, but you catch me drunk, and I become the most bitter, cynical football fan in the world. I never forget any call I think went against the Pack (I conveniently forget most of the ones that go our way, but that isn't a factor when I'm a few drinks in).

I was pissed about this one. I was in middle school and it broke my heart. My best friend was of course a 49ers fan and he didn't even give me a hard time.

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the game wasn't a playoff game but, there was a fumble by Roethilsberger, at the goal line against Miami (2009 or 2010?). Even though a Dolphin player ran away from the pile with the ball, they awarded the ball back to Pittsburgh and gave the Steeler's another try to score because they couldn't determine who recovered it.

Maybe that has happened in the past but, I can't recall if I had ever witnessed it before.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the game wasn't a playoff game but, there was a fumble by Roethilsberger, at the goal line against Miami (2009 or 2010?). Even though a Dolphin player ran away from the pile with the ball, they awarded the ball back to Pittsburgh and gave the Steeler's another try to score because they couldn't determine who recovered it.

Maybe that has happened in the past but, I can't recall if I had ever witnessed it before.

Bunk Pats are the only team that has ever cheated t win playoffs and SB'sand Pitt is the only team that has calls go their way to win, esp SB's

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunkamania

ESPN Defector
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another one that was talked about for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

DownSetHutch

d-_-b
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chargers got hosed pretty bad against the Broncos several years ago. Ed Hoculi, anyone?

Did nobody even mention this one yet?? That was a bad play for the Chargers. Couldn't have happened to a more humble fan base though, lol.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You left out the worst ever: 1972 Olympic basketball

No question, this was the worst officiating call ever. How could you leave this out? With three seconds to go, Doug Collins makes two free throws to put the US ahead by one. The Russians were subsequently given THREE chances to throw the ball in, after calling a time out which they didn't have. On their final try, they got the ball to one of their players under the US basket who made a layup to win the game. The US team refused to accept the silver medal.

bingo...

That wasn't even a bad call. It was just plain RIGGED call. The FIX was in.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1976 pats/raiders,raiders got a terrible roughing the passer call & they go on & win there first SB,25 yrs later PATS got there redemption

DenBronc

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were several bad calls in the Bal-Den playoff game in 2012, like the Boldin catch in OT where he bobbled it to the ground and the pass interference that wasn't called in the first half on a TD INT.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Testaverde's phantom TD. Wilson's Hail Mary against the Pack.

That Seattle TD reception has to be in the top 3. No way that Tate caught that ball.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...versies-in-nfl-playoff-history-165415523.html

2) Immaculate Reception.

"It's possible that Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw's pass caromed off of Oakland Raiders safety Jack Tatum before rebounding back into the arms of Harris, or it might have first touched Steelers running back John "Frenchy" Fuqua — which would have resulted in an illegal "double touch" by the rules of the era."

"In addition, there's some debate whether the ball hit the turf before Harris hauled it in. Of course, that play occurred in the pre-replay era, and the play stood as called on the field as a 60-yard touchdown reception that would beat the Raiders, 13-7, even with the nearly 15-minute delay (!!) that followed. In addition, Raiders linebacker Phil Villapiano was cut down chasing Harris by a block that probably should have been called a clipping penalty. Raiders players from that game will still complain about the numerous calls that could have been made."

Again, as a Steelers fan - the ball bounced off Tatum's helmet. We got away with one.

1) Tuck Rule (no surprise, really)

Tom Brady was sacked by Charles Woodson of the Raiders, the ball comes loose and the Raiders pounce on it. Game over, right? Not so fast...the refs ruled that since Brady was tucking the ball back into his body, it's an imcomplete pass, and not a fumble.

To quote Dan Dierdorf: I don't understand how it's an imcomplete pass if he's not trying to throw the football".

Good point, Dan.

Did they leave any off?
Any Raider fan would go with these two as the top two.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to go outside the NFL how about the Univ of Colorado winning against Missouri years ago when they were able to score after 5 downs after the stupid officials forgot to change the down marker on one play. I could never see that happening in this era.