• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

tOfficial Harbaugh Will Not Save michigan Thread

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Glen Mason was never close to being the highest paid HC in the game, and he also never brought the dog and pony show that Harbaugh has brought with him. It's been an embarrassment. We all heard nothing but rhetoric about how michigan is going to take over the conference and how they were going to return to national prominence, but they've been a pretty massive failure overall.

Also, the expectations at michigan are a lot higher than at Minnesota. While michigan has been better than Minnesota under Harbaugh, they've accomplished about the same amount from a national perspective.

Yeah, that's all true. I'm just being diplomatic. I understand why Michigan fans appreciate his making them better than they were. Minnesota fans DID appreciate what Mason did for them, BUT, just like with Harbaugh, Mason still was expected to do better.

But yes, the difference was many Minnesota fans knew Mason was meant to take us from terrible to competitive, anything more than that would have been a bonus. With Harbaugh, he was meant to take Michigan from barely competitive to Championship Caliber, and all he did was make them competitive. And for the money they threw at him, he's been a failure. At least we didn't blow the bankroll on Mason, lol.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me get this straight - you bring this guy in, who immediately cements himself as some sort of jester or clown with his antics. He sets up some recruiting extravaganza like it's Dick Clark's Rocking NYE, he's climbing trees like an idiot, he's having sleepovers with recruits, he's throwing embarrassing tantrums on the sidelines.

All the while he's:
- 1-7 against michigan' two biggest rivals
- 1-3 in bowl games
- Won 0 conference titles
- Played for 0 conference titles

It has been 4 years, and despite making him one of the highest paid coaches in sports, he's given basically nothing in return. How much longer does he need? Or, better question - how many more excuses are you gonna make for him?
Except the 7th best record of any P5 team since he got here.

Runeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,650.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there is some emotional issues regarding Michigan. With all that talent and get blown out twice in a row tells me something is going on in that locker room.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except the 7th best record of any P5 team since he got here.

Well whoop-de-do. Has that 7th best record helped meeeechegan beat Ohio State? Or have a winning record versus Michigan State?

Has that 7th best record helped Jimmy Jam win the division or a conference crown?

Anyway congrats on your moral victory. I'd bet money that team of yours wins their Spring Game next year though.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds familiar to me....Mack Brown (1998-2004)
He kicked the shit out of Texas A&M and Nebraska as the secondary rivals.
He crushed it on the recruiting trail.
He won 10 games every season.
He won 4 Big 12 North Division titles.
He won most of his bowl games.
He had the BEST RECORD in football during that stretch.
He was coming in after a really bad 1986-1997 long stretch of mediocre football from previous coaches.
He sucked versus Oklahoma. (2-6) record.

Early 2000s Texas fans wanted to fire Mack Brown for only winning twice yet alone zero times..
Early Mack Brown was superior in all his accomplishments to Harbaugh so far at Michigan.

You have to beat Ohio State. Period. End of Story.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When will the time come when they realize they have all the attributes of a top-end program minus the head coach?

1 National Championship in the last 70 years, none none in last 21

Aside from a lot of money, wins 50+ years ago, and some claimed natty's in the 1900's, why is Michigan still considered a 'top-end program?'

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 National Championship in the last 70 years, none none in last 21

Aside from a lot of money, wins 50+ years ago, and some claimed natty's in the 1900's, why is Michigan still considered a 'top-end program?'
That's what I meant. They have the attributes - huge stadium, lots of money, lots of (old) wins, big deal with Jordan, decent facilities - but they have a mediocre HC that is keeping them from being a top end program.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This sounds familiar to me....Mack Brown (1998-2004)
He kicked the shit out of Texas A&M and Nebraska as the secondary rivals.
He crushed it on the recruiting trail.
He won 10 games every season.
He won 4 Big 12 North Division titles.
He won most of his bowl games.
He had the BEST RECORD in football during that stretch.
He was coming in after a really bad 1986-1997 long stretch of mediocre football from previous coaches.
He sucked versus Oklahoma. (2-6) record.

Early 2000s Texas fans wanted to fire Mack Brown for only winning twice yet alone zero times..
Early Mack Brown was superior in all his accomplishments to Harbaugh so far at Michigan.

You have to beat Ohio State. Period. End of Story.
Except Harbaugh isn’t crushing his secondary rivals nor is he winning divisions or conference titles.

Reactions: gob

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're #7, We're #7, YEAH!!! lol
That's pretty impressive considering the company we're in on that list. Other fans like to make fun. I get it. I'd do the same if roles were reversed. But the reality is that Harbaugh has had Michigan as one of the top 10 teams since he got here and just needs to get over the final hump. He has a few years to figure that out before 10-3 is no longer good enough.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not accurate
That's 100% accurate. I saw it tweeted out yesterday by some ESPN guy. In 4 seasons Harbaugh is 38-14. OSU is 47-6 in that span. Penn State is 36-17 in that span.

It might be easier to try and list more than 6 other teams who've had a better four year span. Off the top of my head I'd guess Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, OSU, OU and...maybe Washington are the top 6. Michigan comes in at 7.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well whoop-de-do. Has that 7th best record helped meeeechegan beat Ohio State? Or have a winning record versus Michigan State?

Has that 7th best record helped Jimmy Jam win the division or a conference crown?

Anyway congrats on your moral victory. I'd bet money that team of yours wins their Spring Game next year though.
I get it. Harbaugh still has a hump to get over. But he has us right there in the hunt. He's either going to get us over that hump in a few years or not and we'll eventually move on. The point being, we're not very far away and teetering on the line of greatness.

fritowrdo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it. Harbaugh still has a hump to get over. But he has us right there in the hunt. He's either going to get us over that hump in a few years or not and we'll eventually move on. The point being, we're not very far away and teetering on the line of greatness.

That is the same line I have heard since day one of Harbaugh.

If Michigan is ahead, they do fine but if they have to go point to point or play catch-up, they are in trouble under Harbaugh.

Harbaugh's Michigan team is winning against the teams they have to beat but are not beating the teams they need to beat.

Michigan has lost its luster in the last two teams. They seem to not want to be there.

IMO, Harbaugh was supposed to be the savior and bring the program to Bama greatness.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty impressive considering the company we're in on that list. Other fans like to make fun. I get it. I'd do the same if roles were reversed. But the reality is that Harbaugh has had Michigan as one of the top 10 teams since he got here and just needs to get over the final hump. He has a few years to figure that out before 10-3 is no longer good enough.

Hey, my chant would be, We're #47, Yeah, we're #47 or something like that, so I shouldn't razz you too much, lol.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Teetering on the line of greatness?:pound: Just stop the over the top homerism. You know all the #'s. 0-4 vs. Ohio State. 2-2 vs. Michigan State. 0-1 vs. ND. What is he now vs. top 10 teams, about 1-8? No division titles. No conference crowns. Forget about a Natty. A 1-3 bowl record. He didn't even have a top 15 recruiting class for '18.

The Jimmy Jam hype train is broken. It's last stop was the Peach Bowl. If his name wasn't Harbaugh he'd be treated differently w/ that resume after 4 years.

Hang_On_Sloopy08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan still only has five 11+ win seasons since 1906.

Ohio State has seven 11+ win seasons just under Meyer.

Michigan has only two 12+ win seasons in school history.

Ohio State has six 12+ win seasons under Meyer.

fredsdeadfriend

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teetering on the line of greatness?:pound: Just stop the over the top homerism. You know all the #'s. 0-4 vs. Ohio State. 2-2 vs. Michigan State. 0-1 vs. ND. What is he now vs. top 10 teams, about 1-8? No division titles. No conference crowns. Forget about a Natty. A 1-3 bowl record. He didn't even have a top 15 recruiting class for '18.

The Jimmy Jam hype train is broken. It's last stop was the Peach Bowl. If his name wasn't Harbaugh he'd be treated differently w/ that resume after 4 years.

Yeah, he may be teetering on the edge of being Top 5, maybe, but "greatness"??? Never going to happen. He just doesn't seem to have it in him. In a down year for the B1G East, he could pull off an 11 or 12 win season and maybe even a Conf Title, but he'll never get them a Natl Title.