• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Time of possession...

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
matters.

The Eagles lead the league in time of possession and it's showing in the second halves of games as the offense wears down opposing defenses while their D is fresh and able to generate pressure and create turnovers.

Chip was wrong.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh.

Three and outs matter. Sustaining drives matters.

You could make the argument that Kelly's single-minded focus on running more plays than the opposition backfires when he gets into predictable play calling, but time of possession isn't necessarily an indicator of success.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh.

You could make the argument that Kelly's single-minded focus on running more plays than the opposition backfires when he gets into predictable play calling, but time of possession isn't necessarily an indicator of success.

1000%

Cowboys controlled almost 2/3rds of the clock vs the G men and still lost.
And that happened a lot last year too.

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, seems to me that goes hand-in-hand with time of possession. Not sure how you have one without the other.

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1000%

Cowboys controlled almost 2/3rds of the clock vs the G men and still lost.
And that happened a lot last year too.

No one said time of possession is the only thing that matters. The Cowboys weren't able to convert their drives to touchdowns once they got in the red zone - the Giants did. Not surprisingly, that matters too.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only point is that, all else being equal, controlling the clock and keeping the opposing defense on the field and yours fresh makes a positive difference.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, seems to me that goes hand-in-hand with time of possession. Not sure how you have one without the other.
The gripe was that the team went "too fast".

Not a good gripe. If you're going to go three and out, it doesn't matter one bit if it takes 35 seconds off the game clock or 1:10 off the game clock.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be a valid point if I had claimed that TOP is the only thing that matters. I didn't.
Well, Kelly actually said TOP was overrated, not that it didn't matter, if we're going to be arguing semantics here.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
matters.

The Eagles lead the league in time of possession and it's showing in the second halves of games as the offense wears down opposing defenses while their D is fresh and able to generate pressure and create turnovers.

Chip was wrong.

This would be a valid point if I had claimed that TOP is the only thing that matters. I didn't.
You'll have to excuse me. I missed this point-by-point critique in the OP.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one said time of possession is the only thing that matters. The Cowboys weren't able to convert their drives to touchdowns once they got in the red zone - the Giants did. Not surprisingly, that matters too.

I never implied you did.

Time of possession is huge. But Guy's point is important to take into account.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It clearly matters. The defense is playing so much better, and yes a lot of it is the change in scheme, but they are also fresher and it shows.

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll have to excuse me. I missed this point-by-point critique in the OP.

You'll have to excuse me. I didn't realize that claiming TOP matters required me to list "point-by-point" all the other things that also matter...

I like seeing the Eagles control the clock and I think it's a benefit. That's it.

Guy Incognito

Crack a window, will ya?
Hoopla Cash
$ 342.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You'll have to excuse me. I didn't realize that claiming TOP matters required me to list "point-by-point" all the other things that also matter...

I like seeing the Eagles control the clock and I think it's a benefit. That's it.
I like seeing the Eagles run more varied plays and let their players' skill sets determine what plays they run, not vice versa.

Kelly's problem is that he's convinced his system can trump NFL talent.

CSB

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like seeing the Eagles run more varied plays and let their players' skill sets determine what plays they run, not vice versa.

Kelly's problem is that he's convinced his system can trump NFL talent.

We certainly agree on that!

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completing passes matters. Run, run, 3rd and short doesn't help you if you can't complete that next pass.

But we argued this ad nauseam back when we had a shit QB running Andy Reid's beautiful offense. The people that were wrong then will probably be wrong now too.

Orlando Eagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
matters.

Chip was wrong.

I just liked the last line.....immensely.

Even in its absoluteness it might be an understated fact :)

I miss Dawkins

Philadelphia Ducks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TOP is important to keeping your defense from getting worn out. Granted, if you score FAST.. you might have a lower TOP. But having the ability to run the ball and keep it out of the hands of the opponents offense, and let your defense rest, is a very important part of good football.

The mistake with Kelly is that he didn't do what his objective was to do. The idea behind the fast offense, was to catch defenses tired, making more mistakes, and thus take advantage of that and score. It was also to allow the defense time to rest. Instead, he just went 3 and out. This did NOT allow our defense to rest, it DID NOT wear out opposing defenses - as they were far more rested than ours!! It completely back fired in it's objective, because FAST does not equate to SUCCESS. If we had had more success and less 3 and outs - we would have also had a higher TOP. It's not absolute, but they are related.

Chip was indeed wrong.