• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thoughts on Vin Scully

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Carter say hi

Not even close. Ask 1000 knowledgeable, unbiased fans which was more dramatic and 1000 will tell you it was Gibson's.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to the Dodgers for the first time since last season and I'm here to tell you, Vin Scully is as good as he ever was.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truly a master of his craft.One of the few,I will go online to listen to.The only other announcer I could listen to for a game was Ernie Harwell.

ColinCoby

"Duff Man…Oh Yeah!"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy who has been doing the job for as long as he has deserves the respect no matter what. He has seen this game evole in so many ways.

And to continue to do the job to this day shows how much he loves the sport.

I have mad respect for Scully, and enjoyed listening to him occasionally while growing up in Southern California.

I'm just happy I don't have to listen to him everyday.

apachef4

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding me?

The guy is the best. Watch this you tube. Guy calls it perfectly and does not fill our ears with any blah blah like announcers of today after the dinger. He lets the crowd noise come through and just waits...Perfection.

We've all seen some amazing things happen over the years but if you threw a bucket of cold water on me at 3am and asked what my best all-time sports moments is, it'd be Gibson's HR without a moment's hesitation.

The class, professionalism and restraint Vin Scully showed in just letting the moment happen without yelling his head off and telling us how great it was was incredible. Me and my Dad were watching that live on TV and I remember Jack Buck saying "I don't believe what I just saw." There's actually a documentary on that HR that shows just how amazing it was. Gibson should have been in a wheelchair.

I could watch that clip on a continuous loop all day and never get tired of it. It is my favorite baseball memory as a kid, and as an east coaster I could not have cared less about either team. Gives me goose bumps remembering it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrs21

I'm a Bullet Proof Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Scully is classic!

There are a few announcers out there, that when flipping through the channels and see a game they are broadcasting or hear their voice on the radio, I stop to watch or listen for a while even if I have little interest in the games. Scully is definately one of them!
Bob Uecker is not on the same plateau that Scully is, but he is another one I enjoy listening to.

BUDSFAULT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All you have to do is liten to the clowns working for all the other teams and you then realize how high the bar is in comparison to Scully. Today's announcers are all homers. Total annoying and biased ass hats that can't define objectivity.

Today's group seem to have forgotten that will all of the technology, internet and sports packages, EVERYONE is a national broadcaster but they don't care. They all praise Vin for being the greatest ever but none of them have a learned anything from him. He gives you more information on players from both teams. His assistants bust their asses for him. It isn't just Vin that makes his great. It's the effort his team and he mentions them from time to time. He told a great story about Neil Walker last night. In short: Walkers dad played with Roberto Clemente. He told Clemente he wanted to go on that fateful flight and the night before Clemente said no and insisted he stay behind. Because Of that, Neil Walker was born.

BUDSFAULT

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mad respect for Scully, and enjoyed listening to him occasionally while growing up in Southern California.

I'm just happy I don't have to listen to him everyday.

Respect is nice but the majority of baseball fans are glad Jon Miller's stumbling is buried in San Francisco's airwaves. So Enjoy his daily PBP. Ugh.

I actually like Kruk and Kuip. A lot of people don't but they are entertaining. They do tend to show strong bias at time but they know the game having played it and overall good a really good job. They've grown into a top notch team even though they work for the Gnats. You couldn't pay me to hear Jon Miller call another baseball game again. He should work with Tim McCarver. LOL

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing Jon Miller is good at is his great impersonation of Vin Scully. One of the best.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vin Scully is to professional sports broadcasting what Babe Ruth is to Baseball. He simply has no peers. I've been listening to Vin Scully since 1958 and to many he is almost a "father figure". It will be a very sad day for Dodgers fans and Baseball when Vin retires. He is simply a living legend.

skibum2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vin Scully is THE MAN.

He is the last of the old-school baseball era. Plus, he's in his mid 80s and still working because he loves what he does. He is an icon. He is the Keith Jackson of baseball.

"It's time for Dodger baseball."

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Scully call a game is like listening to the Boston Symphony play Stravinsky; like listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing Handel's Messiah; like listening to Ronan Tynan sing God Bless America. He's a classic, the best that ever was, and I hope he's still calling games another 64 years from now.

HammerDown

Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well put, 1949. :suds: It feels great to have you new Dodgers fans over here. I'm looking forward to some good game-day threads when you guys are playing the Pads.

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks Hammer, me too. Those of us migrating from the CBS Dodgers board have had some great in depth baseball discussions and we look forward to more here. Thanks for hosting us.

skibum2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vin Scully is timeless. He will be missed when he passes/hangs it up by so many. There won't be people like him in the future. Perhaps often imitated, but never duplicated. And, I don't really care about the Dodgers. I just love the guy. He takes me back in time every time I listen to him on MLB Extra Innings. I love my NL West baseball. I tune in to watch/hear him over our Colorado local coverage whenever the Dodgers and Rockies meet.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening to Scully is like a trip into the real world of baseball broadcasting ... the days before we got to see the home run from 6 different angles ... or the so-called Foxtrax.

The man is sheer genius and has always known why people listen to baseball.

I will concede that he's turned a tad "slushy" in the past couple of years but he's still got his wits and he still fills the air with information, trivial, fun, meaningful, just plain interesting. He's from a generation of great broadcasters -- and there are maybe only a couple of them left.

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vin Scully is great. But my all time favorite by a hair Dodgers announcer was Jerry Doggett. Vin's announcing partner for 32 years. Vin would do a few innings and then Jerry would do a few innings. Doggett always kept you up on what happened during the game, almost every inning he would explain who what when where why and how of what happened so far in the game and who did it. He was more of a stat guy while Vin was a story teller. As a kid I liked Jerry's style better. Jerry also had a better announcing voice IMO. But Vin is still great IMO. Vin did do a better Job than Doggett as far as announcing exciting big moments in Dodgers history though. Yeah he makes more mistakes now but he's VIN SCULLY!

Last edited by a moderator:

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up listening to Vinny call the Dodgers game with a transister radio under my pillow so my mom wouldn't know. I would finally fall asleep everynight with the Blue inside my head. The days of Wally Moon, Frank Howard, Jim Gilliam, Sandy and Don had me with the bluest dreams. Vin is the best story teller in the history of baseball and although I have never met the man, he is part of my family.

chico ruiz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vin scully? i could call him an icon, or a national treasure, and not be too far from the truth. but, the greatest compliment i can pay mr. scully is that i listen to him when my home team, with their silly p-b-p & color men, broadcasts at the same time. actually, i'll watch a dodger game just to listen to him talk about the history of the opposing team. he covers it all from the 40's to the 20-teens.