• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thornton, Marleau close to extension?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The San Jose Sharks appear to be closing in on new contracts for forwards Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau, according to the Ottawa Sun.
Thornton and Marleau at in the final year of their respective contracts and can become unrestricted free agents July 1.

However, the Sharks would like to get them locked up to new deals and are inching closer to getting that done.

The Sun claims the Sharks could sign Thornton and Marleau to three-year extensions worth around the same money they're making this season.
Thornton is making $6 million this season, though his salary cap hit is $7 million, and Marleau is earning $6.9 million.
Meanwhile, the Sun also reports the Sharks are willing to listen to offers for defenseman Dan Boyle, though a deal may be unlikely given San Jose's position in the standings.
Boyle is also set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
The Sharks are looking to bolster their blueline, and dealing Boyle might not make sense. The Sharks have been linked to New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto.

The Fourth Period :: San Jose Sharks :: Thornton, Marleau close to extension?

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:thumb: We all know its going to happen.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trading Boyle or letting him walk would be stupid. And I think both marleau and Thornton at 6 mill is a bit high for the tail end of their careers

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
resigning those two is a foregone conclusion. Only the figure and term were in question. If I had to guess, I'd figure 3 years at 6M per for each. I can't say I'd love such a deal paying 6M for a 35, 36, and 37 year old, but then again, they would easily get that on the open market and they havent shown too many signs of age at this moment. Neither is particularly physical and neither has wonky knees or backs or anything like that. Most 35+ ers start a fast decline, but many do not and it would seem these two are unlikely to fall that much. Boyle finally his wall this year at age 37, but he is smaller and plays a more punishing position. Looking at the league's leading scorers, the top 25 features st louis (38), Thornton (34), Patty (34) and Hossa (35). Jagr's nearly 42 and still chugging strong. Ray whitney put up 77 pts in 82 games with phoenix at age 39. Its not that common, but I would figure that will be the term and dollars.

It is possible to have it be 2 years at 6M per. I would much prefer that and it wouldnt surprise me.

The big question is boyler. He is a liability now. His speed is half what it was a few years back. His shot is worse. He defensive battles are getting tougher and tougher and he's losing more of 'em. He had the super nasty concussion and may never have fully recovered. I would be really wary of resigning him despite his obvious passion and drive for the game. Nothing more than 1 year at 3M max. If there is a team out there willing to give up a star young player or a beautiful package, I would strongly consider it. The sharks need help on D with boyle and stuey being the liabilities they are. One or two more solid young blueliners and Id feel much better.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
resigning those two is a foregone conclusion. Only the figure and term were in question. If I had to guess, I'd figure 3 years at 6M per for each. I can't say I'd love such a deal paying 6M for a 35, 36, and 37 year old, but then again, they would easily get that on the open market and they havent shown too many signs of age at this moment. Neither is particularly physical and neither has wonky knees or backs or anything like that. Most 35+ ers start a fast decline, but many do not and it would seem these two are unlikely to fall that much. Boyle finally his wall this year at age 37, but he is smaller and plays a more punishing position. Looking at the league's leading scorers, the top 25 features st louis (38), Thornton (34), Patty (34) and Hossa (35). Jagr's nearly 42 and still chugging strong. Ray whitney put up 77 pts in 82 games with phoenix at age 39. Its not that common, but I would figure that will be the term and dollars.

It is possible to have it be 2 years at 6M per. I would much prefer that and it wouldnt surprise me.

The big question is boyler. He is a liability now. His speed is half what it was a few years back. His shot is worse. He defensive battles are getting tougher and tougher and he's losing more of 'em. He had the super nasty concussion and may never have fully recovered. I would be really wary of resigning him despite his obvious passion and drive for the game. Nothing more than 1 year at 3M max. If there is a team out there willing to give up a star young player or a beautiful package, I would strongly consider it. The sharks need help on D with boyle and stuey being the liabilities they are. One or two more solid young blueliners and Id feel much better.
Honestly both Thornton and Patty have taken home town discounts throughout their careers in San Jose, so 6 mill a season for those guys ain't that bad when you think about it. Boyle is a tough one because you can't replace his intensity wait and see how it plays out

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yay!

What's up party people? Everyone doing good, I hope?

PS. I love Boyle but "no thanks" on bringing him back, sorry (unless he takes a *huge* pay cut). He's done.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
these are a tiny bit more than a thought, but not bad at all. The only worry I have is paying two 37 year olds a combined 13.5M... 37 is kinda old and even though both guys arent injury prone, it's pretty risky in that regard. They could be overpaying big time at the end of the deal (much like boyle this year who is not worth 6.7M right now).

I was hoping for roughly 6M per for each, but no question that they could have gotten more on the open market.

I guess well get to watch jumbo keep climbing the all-time ladder for greatest regular season performance. I'd feel a whole lot better about this deal if those two could lead SJ to a cup or even a finals appearance...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I guess you gotta love that the sharks now have the big 5 (jumbo, patty, burns, pavs, and cooch) signed forever and pretty much the entire team signed through next year. That gives dougie alot of certainty in what he's doing in the future and at the deadline. Basically he had 12 starting forwards under contract and only wingels and sheppard to resign. That's lots of trade fodder as well...

I would expect he'll look to add some solid young D in the near future. He's projected to have 11M+ in cap space with very few needs:

1. resign wingels and shep. Shep should be maybe 1M, wingels maybe 3 years 2.5M per at most. leaves about 8M with 14 forwards signed.

2. Nemo is signed and stalock should only cost 1-1.5M. That leavs roughly 7M left to fill the D.

2. D has pickles, braun, irwin and Stuart signed. Demers will likely cost around 2M. That leaves 5M to add 2 Dmen. Should they buy out havlat, that would save roughly 3.4M on next year and leave over 8M to add 2 dmen. That's a TON of space to either go shopping for a top flight UFA or make a big trade to add someone.

Either way, dougie now knows what he has going forward and has the flexibility to make a move that can bring in at least one or two solid top pairing Dmen. I would expect that moves could be on the horizon now that there is some cost certainty.

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The cap is going to go up, up, up, so these two signings are a pretty great deal/value (for Doug/Sharks).

Just need to someone buy out Havlat next year... I really hope Doug will grow the balls to do it, if he hasn't already.

That $5M (cap hit, $6M actual pay) is WAY too much money spent on someone to drive Hertl around and be his translator.