• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This year should be interesting to see if the Patriots fumble numbers go up now that they have to...

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
play with inflated balls. I would guess we will see their fumble increase significantly. If you look at how fumbles went down once they let QB's prepare the balls before the game (i.e. when Brady started cheating) and prior to that season it's significant. I bet it goes up this year now.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, considering you guys are going off of a 13 year sample size, im sure the first game theres a fumble you people will repeat "sample size" to yourselves.

because remember, stevan ridey and laurence maroney NEVER fumbled.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock, he has a point. If fumbles increase by a statistically significant amount it will raise eyebrows, especially considering the extremely low turnover rate of the Patriots over the last 13 years. But as you alluded, the change in turnover rates has to be maintained over a few seasons... So although it will be interesting, a correlation cannot be viewed accurate unless the change is maintained over time.

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, considering you guys are going off of a 13 year sample size, im sure the first game theres a fumble you people will repeat "sample size" to yourselves.

because remember, stevan ridey and laurence maroney NEVER fumbled.

Actually, the preparation of balls changed in 2007, not 13 years ago. It was actually Tom Brady and a few other QB's(including Manning) that petitioned the league to change the rules regarding ball preparation. Brady was instrumental in the rule change. "The thing is, every quarterback likes it a little bit different," Brady said after addressing the competition committee. "Some like them blown up a little bit more, some like them a little more thin, some like them a little more new, some like them really broken in." Sure seems like he'd be able to tell what condition the balls were in. Which is contrary to what he has said recently.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock, he has a point. If fumbles increase by a statistically significant amount it will raise eyebrows, especially considering the extremely low turnover rate of the Patriots over the last 13 years. But as you alluded, the change in turnover rates has to be maintained over a few seasons... So although it will be interesting, a correlation cannot be viewed accurate unless the change is maintained over time.
it shouldnt raise eyebrows...

unless you lick windows or are fascinated by marbles.

stevan ridley lost 9 fumbles here

nine

"they gave him a different ball"

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the preparation of balls changed in 2007, not 13 years ago. It was actually Tom Brady and a few other QB's(including Manning) that petitioned the league to change the rules regarding ball preparation. Brady was instrumental in the rule change. "The thing is, every quarterback likes it a little bit different," Brady said after addressing the competition committee. "Some like them blown up a little bit more, some like them a little more thin, some like them a little more new, some like them really broken in." Sure seems like he'd be able to tell what condition the balls were in. Which is contrary to what he has said recently.
"actually"

yeah, i know that

thus me referencing...sigh...2 RB's that played in both eras here...pre 07 and post 07

maroney here in 06 (oddly, his fumble rate INCREASED in 07)

ridley fumbled 9 times post 2007

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the stats from 2003 on. Since the rule change in the 2007 season, the Patriots as a team have been in the top 5 in least fumbles lost in all but 1 year. From 2003 to 2006 a 4 year span prior to the rule change, the Patriots finished no better than 13th in the league. Hmmm...please explain that?

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nine

Rock, I like you man, I really do. But I think you are not being objective here. I'm simply stating the obvious, nothing more.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nine

Rock, you perpetuate the discussion of PSI daily, maybe 30-50 posts every day.
You can damn well be assured that whenever NE fumbles a ball the PSI issue will be reminded instantly.
Feel free to bank on that.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,054.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn't matter whether it happens or not.everyone will make a useless argument for or against what ever happens

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"The myth about fumbling rates and deflated footballs has been debunked."

~ objective fans everywhere

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rock, I like you man, I really do. But I think you are not being objective here. I'm simply stating the obvious, nothing more.
so did they give ridley a different ball?

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you look at the stats from 2003 on. Since the rule change in the 2007 season, the Patriots as a team have been in the top 5 in least fumbles lost in all but 1 year. From 2003 to 2006 a 4 year span prior to the rule change, the Patriots finished no better than 13th in the league. Hmmm...please explain that?

If there is a significant change in fumbles, I will be more likely to agree with you. But until the games are played, and the data is provided, it is still conjecture.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so did they give ridley a different ball?

I'm not saying anything about that... You provided one out-lyer in the data. You tell me why he fumbled more than the others and that is your most logical answer. But statistically speaking, the fumble rate among Patriot players is almost a statistical impossibility when compared to the rest of the league since 2007. I don't have the report, sorry no link, but I did read it via a link from one of the threads on this board.

VikingsAD28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a significant change in fumbles, I will be more likely to agree with you. But until the games are played, and the data is provided, it is still conjecture.

Historically speaking, the change from 2003-2006 to 2007-present is a significant change. This correlated specifically with the rule change. You're right, until 2 or 3 years from now we won't know now. However, the stats seem to be more than a coincidence. I think it will prove out to be true in the next few years. Also, I think we may see Tom Brady overthrow receivers going forward instead of throwing it into the ground so often. LOL

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, all I can say is wait until the games are played. I could care less about the deflategate, but imagine what others will think and say who have more interest.

Just saying... Get ready for it.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Historically speaking, the change from 2003-2006 to 2007-present is a significant change. This correlated specifically with the rule change. You're right, until 2 or 3 years from now we won't know now. However, the stats seem to be more than a coincidence. I think it will prove out to be true in the next few years. Also, I think we may see Tom Brady overthrow receivers going forward instead of throwing it into the ground so often. LOL

I'm with you, but trying to explain that to Rock is Provi g a bit challenging at the moment.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not saying anything about that... You provided one out-lyer in the data. You tell me why he fumbled more than the others and that is your most logical answer. But statistically speaking, the fumble rate among Patriot players is almost a statistical impossibility when compared to the rest of the league since 2007. I don't have the report, sorry no link, but I did read it via a link from one of the threads on this board.

maroneys fumble rate increased drastically in 2007 from 2006

ridleys always fumbled