• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This Team Better Not Sit Back

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you are correct: the only available potentially better pitcher than CJ is Darvish and any trade pitcher is going to be too expensive in prospects to be worth it. so in the end the logical thing to do is re-sign CJ and, if the Japanese do post Darvish still get involved in him.

after that Plan C has to be Roy Oswalt or Mark Buehrle

As my all time favorite football coach used to say, "all potential means is that they ain't done nothing yet."

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After TEX wasted money on Jennings in 2008, Benson in 2009, Harden in 2010 and Webb in 2011 ... I suppose their track record is that they will waste the same or more money on someone like Oswalt in 2012.

I don't get the fascination with signing Oswalt. I was listening to ESPN while going out of town today and I think it was Durrett who wanted both Buehrle and Oswalt. Buehrle I get. 200+ innings, solid #2, #3 type, wins more than he loses, respectable ERA and WHIP. Low strikeout totals though and relies on finesse. Sign both of those guys and you push better pitchers to the pen. I don't get that.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't get the fascination with signing Oswalt. I was listening to ESPN while going out of town today and I think it was Durrett who wanted both Buehrle and Oswalt. Buehrle I get. 200+ innings, solid #2, #3 type, wins more than he loses, respectable ERA and WHIP. Low strikeout totals though and relies on finesse. Sign both of those guys and you push better pitchers to the pen. I don't get that.

It's those old Texas boys who think that since they recognize his name ... and think that it's still 2004 when he was 26yo ... instead of 2012 when he will be 34 that he would be a good signing. Others think that Nolan would sign him just because he used to play for HOU. Like that's a relevant credential.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

how do you feel about the reports that the Cardinals are pushing to get Oswalt?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's those old Texas boys who think that since they recognize his name ... and think that it's still 2004 when he was 26yo ... instead of 2012 when he will be 34 that he would be a good signing. Others think that Nolan would sign him just because he used to play for HOU. Like that's a relevant credential.

not with me, it's the fact that i think he's still got a good couple years left in him and he could give us 15-16 wins a year

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not with me, it's the fact that i think he's still got a good couple years left in him and he could give us 15-16 wins a year

I just don't think he would be better than the Rangers existing options; however, I find it strange that people were touting him to be this great ACE last season and going into this past season and now after having an injury he is washed up and very risky.

I tend to think guys like him, guys with long track records and who are very competitive tend to bounce back and perform well. I've never been the biggest Oswalt fan but I do think he is being undersold here. It is not like he is going to sign a contract while having man boobs the envy of strippers all across the land. Oswalt will come into the season in shape and ready to go. :tea:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oswalt had a great 2010 season and was pretty good last season until he got hurt. I think the upside is he could be better than anybody in the rotation if he pitches like he does in 2010, and if you just get about what you'd expect from him or slightly less he's still better than Lewis. At worst he gets hurt again and you're still left with a pretty good group of guys. I think it's a pretty good gamble. I'm not exactly salivating over the thought of signing Oswalt but I think it could be a great move.

Ginger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how do you feel about the reports that the Cardinals are pushing to get Oswalt?

Quite alright with that actually. I think he is a NL pitcher and the Cardinals, unlike the Rangers have an actual need for a #4 and a #5 pitcher. They had some pretty terrible pitchers at those spots last season. Oswalt would be an upgrade for sure. Hopefully, though Miller will be able to man one of those spots and Wainwright won't have any setbacks. Not really counting on Miller. He is still very young.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per Newberg: "I leave you today with this, from Jason A. Churchill (ESPN): "Hearing the Rangers aren't planning any sort of stand-pat winter by any means. Will consider anything and everything.""

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Please explain why you (and others) think "he's still got a good couple of years left ... and could give us 15-16 wins a year"?

When was the last time he won 16 games in a row two years in a row? How old was he? Was it in the National League? Was it before he was injured and missed half a season ... last year?

Maybe they bring him in to compete for the Closer job? That might be interesting.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roy could have easily won more than 16 games in 2010 if he hadn't played most of it with Houston.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Roy could have easily won more than 16 games in 2010 if he hadn't played most of it with Houston.

That was in the National League too ... right? Before his injury in 2011?

Doesn't matter what he has done ... what matters is what TEX believes his potential would be going forward after being out quite a bit of 2011 plus switching leagues ... which is never real good for NL pitchers.

There is no assurance that Oswalt can put up back to back 16 win seasons as was projected above ... when the best TEX pitcher last year only won 16 games. He was #3 in PHL (logically) ... surely you don't think he'd move to TEX and become its #1 or #2.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was in the National League too ... right? Before his injury in 2011?

Doesn't matter what he has done ... what matters is what TEX believes his potential would be going forward after being out quite a bit of 2011 plus switching leagues ... which is never real good for NL pitchers.

There is no assurance that Oswalt can put up back to back 16 win seasons as was projected above ... when the best TEX pitcher last year only won 16 games. He was #3 in PHL (logically) ... surely you don't think he'd move to TEX and become its #1 or #2.

with CJ and Holland, he would our #3 but would pitch between them. with only Holland, he would be our #2.