• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This may be the worst Braves' team ever..

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly could care less if it is an alt. Keep that petty stuff for the politics forum, and I know none of you are admins so it isn't of your interest either.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly could care less if it is an alt. Keep that petty stuff for the politics forum, and I know none of you are admins so it isn't of your interest either.

Well, I wasn't being petty, I was trolling to rustle his jimmies, which mission was definitely accomplished. But I am gonna be petty here. It's couldn't care less, not could care less.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I wasn't being petty, I was trolling to rustle his jimmies, which mission was definitely accomplished. But I am gonna be petty here. It's couldn't care less, not could care less.

It's couldn't care less, or could care less, it's an expression, not an English class.
The earliest use I've seen is in movies from the 1930s. There it was indeed..''I could care less'' it was used in a sarcastic manner.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You went from posting nothings to thinking your posts should be taken as gospel.
Colon is used up and his value as a mentor is very questionable.
Those guys were signed because ownership is too damned cheap to pay for good pitchers in their primes.
I doubt we could have competed if we'd signed 2 really good starters, but management forfeited any chance at competing by going cheap.
Long term none of those very promising pitchers traded for are progressing as hoped, how is that even mathematically possible ? Maiten is years away, we don't have much in the way of outfielders or power in the organization, it's not as strong a minor league cache as we thought just a year ago.
You don't really follow baseball do you?

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are trolls, if not this, they'd be acting out on some other nonsense.
None of them seem capable of normal interactions.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the actual Braves team this year, I really doubt they'll be worse than last year. They won't be good, but they won't be a 100 game clowncar team either. 70-something wins, imo.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They are trolls, if not this, they'd be acting out on some other nonsense.
None of them seem capable of normal interactions.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the actual Braves team this year, I really doubt they'll be worse than last year. They won't be good, but they won't be a 100 game clowncar team either. 70-something wins, imo.

My bookie site had the over/under at 74.5 wins. I bet 500 on the over.

But, your assessment is close to what I see. I predicted between 78 and 82 wins. Competitive, but not contending.

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know this organization pretty well.
Do you have any actual input, or is this your typical know nothing drive by ?

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know this organization pretty well.
Do you have any actual input, or is this your typical know nothing drive by ?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bookie site had the over/under at 74.5 wins. I bet 500 on the over.

But, your assessment is close to what I see. I predicted between 78 and 82 wins. Competitive, but not contending.
Yeah, mostly depends how high you are on some of the younger talent they have mostly. That's usually where you can sneak in some wins ahead of the bookie/projection system.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, mostly depends how high you are on some of the younger talent they have mostly. That's usually where you can sneak in some wins ahead of the bookie/projection system.

I'm confident we're gonna score runs this season, and when Maurcio Cabrera gets back and AJ Minter gets called up, I'll be very confident in our bullpen. I'm not too high on our starting rotation to start the year. Teheran is solid, Colon is solid when on, but when he's off, he'll be knocked around, when Folty is on, he;s damn near dominant, but man, when he's off, he's off. Garcia is only there because he's left handed and has a pulse(we had a grand total of zero starts by a left hander last season), and I don't see Dickey making through the summer. When he was with the Mets, the Georgia humidity and his knuckler wasn't a good combo.

It;ll be interesting to see where the team is come July. With Brandon Phillips being the double play factory this season, I'm getting anxious to see Ozzie Albies sooner rather than later, and if Adonis Garcia keeps struggling, Rio Ruiz will be at third in a hot minute.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the Georgia humidity and his knuckler wasn't a good combo.

Interesting. Niekro threw a knuckler in Atlanta for years. I think the difference is Dickey throws his a bit harder than Knucksie did. I've heard you mention the humidity a few times in regard to the knuckleball, but I don't recall hearing Niekro talk about the physics of humidity and his favorite pitch...?

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. Niekro threw a knuckler in Atlanta for years. I think the difference is Dickey throws his a bit harder than Knucksie did. I've heard you mention the humidity a few times in regard to the knuckleball, but I don't recall hearing Niekro talk about the physics of humidity and his favorite pitch...?

Niekro was a good bit before my time, but I'd have to assume it's because Dickey's knuckler is a good bit harder than the traditional knuckleball. Guess it's harder to get a grip when you're throwing harder.

I remember them talking about when Dickey pitched in high humidity games, the ball was spinning too much and it was a lot more flat than when he pitched in more favorable conditions. A flat knuckle ball will be hit hard.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niekro was a good bit before my time, but I'd have to assume it's because Dickey's knuckler is a good bit harder than the traditional knuckleball. Guess it's harder to get a grip when you're throwing harder.

I remember them talking about when Dickey pitched in high humidity games, the ball was spinning too much and it was a lot more flat than when he pitched in more favorable conditions. A flat knuckle ball will be hit hard.
I just read a couple articles about it. Dickey claims in one of them:
Dickey noted that domes and places with high humidity are good for his knuckleball. Domes are good because of the lack of wind. High humidity is good because "the seams grip the air better."

He contradicts himself later in the article:

But then in another interview, Dickey seems to suggest that it has an adverse effect (although he could be referring to overly humid conditions making it hard for him to get the proper grip, as most pitchers see their K rates drop at very high temperatures, most likely due to sweat):

Yes, a controlled climate is (desirable) and a dome offers you that,” Dickey said. “But if it’s been open all day and then it’s closed at game time, all that humidity (gets) stuck there and that’s not good (for a knuckleball).”

Anyway, humid air is actually less dense than normal air (seems backwards but is true), so I don’t buy the idea that it would grip the seams more. And if anything, less drag should make the knuckleball have less movement (imagine pushing a beachball through water compared to air). But another thing that would cause less resistance on the ball is having the wind at Dickey’s back — which is the other number that pops out from the above movement table as causing Dickey’s knuckleball to rise. (Wind “in” on the above table, which is a combination of in from right, left, and centre field — if we isolate down to wind coming straight in from CF, pfz rises even higher to 2.16).

This supports the idea that higher humidity inside the dome makes Dickey’s knuckleball rise and become harder to hit, in much the same way that wind at his back does — but there’s something else with the dome closed that gives it sideways movement as well, away from right-handed batters. Or that’s my theory, anyway — for a much more rigorous look at the physics behind what makes the knuckleball do its thing, check out Alan Nathan’s site.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dickey noted that domes and places with high humidity are good for his knuckleball. Domes are good because of the lack of wind. High humidity is good because "the seams grip the air better."

But then in another interview, Dickey seems to suggest that it has an adverse effect (although he could be referring to overly humid conditions making it hard for him to get the proper grip, as most pitchers see their K rates drop at very high temperatures, most likely due to sweat):

Yes, a controlled climate is (desirable) and a dome offers you that,” Dickey said. “But if it’s been open all day and then it’s closed at game time, all that humidity (gets) stuck there and that’s not good (for a knuckleball).”

Anyway, humid air is actually less dense than normal air (seems backwards but is true), so I don’t buy the idea that it would grip the seams more. And if anything, less drag should make the knuckleball have less movement (imagine pushing a beachball through water compared to air). But another thing that would cause less resistance on the ball is having the wind at Dickey’s back — which is the other number that pops out from the above movement table as causing Dickey’s knuckleball to rise. (Wind “in” on the above table, which is a combination of in from right, left, and centre field — if we isolate down to wind coming straight in from CF, pfz rises even higher to 2.16).

This supports the idea that higher humidity inside the dome makes Dickey’s knuckleball rise and become harder to hit, in much the same way that wind at his back does — but there’s something else with the dome closed that gives it sideways movement as well, away from right-handed batters. Or that’s my theory, anyway — for a much more rigorous look at the physics behind what makes the knuckleball do its thing, check out Alan Nathan’s site.

That's definitely interesting. I remember Chip and Joe talking about during Dickey's Cy Young season when he got hit hard in each start he made at Turner Field(it was hot and humid for each start too IIRC).

BallsOfFurry

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Phil Neikro's career in Atlanta is a testament to how the ball reacts to low attitude and humidity.