• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

This D is unreal

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm really not sure what to think. They invest draft after draft on D, and the results suck. They give up 250 yards rushing today and looked pathetic. Without those int's and Hyde making a replay inconclusive, they more than likely lose. They haven't stopped the run all year, and it seems that they're content to have a giant pile of trash in the middle of the field as the opposing back bounces the run outside for 12 to 20 yards.

I guess I'm wondering if it's the players, the coaches, how they're coached or what? I'm tired of this, very tired of this...

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he bobbled the ball on the goal line anyway, so Hyde or no Hyde, the other camera angle showed no catch till he was back at about the 3 at least.

We did get some turnovers, which was good to see. They had 2-3 others that were "could have beens" as well.

Oh well. I just don't think this defense is made to stop the run for an entire game. They're built to be playing with an offense that takes a lead and teams are forced to pass. I will say that they have looked better in the previous games and looked horrible at times yesterday. But 17 points, i'll take it every week.

Yesterday I was not happy with the rush yards, but happy overall with 2ndary and turnovers. The previous 3 weeks the defense showed different good stuff that seemed absent yesterday. Though the middle of the field always seems open and has for 5 years at least. That part is old, but i'm still not sure what to make of this defense. I think if we have a lead, we're ok. If it's close and they have to play a balanced offense for an entire game they're no good. I do think turnovers are going to be our friend this year though in that we'll be getting some every game. We'll need them

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This defense right now is horrible against the run... I am having flashbacks to 2011 already. Except this team has better secondary and worse DL/ILB. 2011 could not stop the pass... this team cannot stop the run.

Personally... unless Pennell develops very quickly or some miracle street free agent is found, this could be very long season watching this defense. All the games will be track meets in which Packers will need to get out ahead of opponents.

I do not see it as a recipe for success if Packers make it to the playoffs.... I have seen this recipe before. Especially if running game does not improve.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm trying to thing of good things to say about the Packers' defense. Here are some things I came up with:

• Clinton-Dix has played well for a rookie safety.
  • Tramon hasn't been piggy-back-riding receivers down the field this year like he has the last couple.
  • ...um... ...???...
...that's all I can come up with. Anyone else got anything?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Packers defense... I think the secondary is strong unit with Shields/Tramon/House/Dix and Burnett. Also the pass rush outside of last game has been decent.

But all of that is hindered by the horrendous rush defense... if rush defense is that bad, it is going to impact all other aspects of the defense. Fundamental to stop the rush first... when you cannot do that, it will make pass defense look worse than what it is as more attention will need to be devoted to rush defense.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regarding Packers defense

I don't see any way the Packers stop the run this year. We just have to hope Rodgers leads the offense on a few early TD drives every game so the opponents abandon the run on their own.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you look at that, I got 28 points in ff with this maligned bunch. Played pretty damn well last night

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you look at that, I got 28 points in ff with this maligned bunch. Played pretty damn well last night

They played against the Vikings 3rd-string QB and 2nd & 3rd string running backs. The Vikings were missing key guys on defense that probably would've helped keep the game closer, which would've allowed them to run the ball more.

I'm putting virtually zero stock in last night's defensive performance. If they repeat it against a more complete and proficient offense, then I might consider boarding the bandwagon.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They played against the Vikings 3rd-string QB and 2nd & 3rd string running backs. The Vikings were missing key guys on defense that probably would've helped keep the game closer, which would've allowed them to run the ball more.

I'm putting virtually zero stock in last night's defensive performance. If they repeat it against a more complete and proficient offense, then I might consider boarding the bandwagon.

+1

With Bridgewater and Adrian that is different game.

If defense can put several more games like that together, then I will start believing.

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beating Ponder led offense isn't too terribly difficult. It usually is a case of not being as good or as bad as you look on any given night and I don't think they're as great as they looked last night either.

But that said, I did like what I saw. Everyone was flying around, people were wrapping up with contact, they were swarming to the ball etc. All things you'd like to see from a good defense, so that is encouraging.

as I said at the start of the year, I think this defense has plenty of talent to be a pretty good defense. I think it will get better as the season goes on and people get more comfortable with the changes they've made. I'm not convinced they're there yet, but if they play with that level of discipline and intensity every week, i like our chances no matter who is on the field.

PhoenixPackerBacker

Reluctant Optimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The defense played well......now to keep it going.....:)

PackMaster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This D is solid, and no its not only cause we played ponder. We shut the lions down a couple weeks back. Julius and clay is one of the best tandems rushing the passer in football. We have a very good secondary overall that improves each week as Ha Ha dix does. Mike daniels and dat one jones look like young special lineman. We just needs out mlbs to show up and hope our dline can be just a bit more consistent stopping the run.

Chrisisjoker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to get rid of the slow LBs and invest in some speedy strong guys. That may help with the stopping the run because they can get into the backfield a lot quicker and they're able to pass cover. I don't know if Raji would have helped this team if he was playing. He lost a step since 2010. I do like our Secondary play, if anyone remembers in 2011 we let Ponder throw all over us so seeing us rattle and be able to intercept him was a relief. Last year we couldn't even get an interception till like week 7 or something like that. This unit this year is creating more TOs then last year and that is a comforting sign. They seem to be playing with more heart, but they still aren't good. We rank dead last in yards worse then Jacksonville if hat doesn't change we're in trouble. I hope we win on Sunday we need to know if this team can play better as a whole and not get ran all over or outplayed by even some of the mediocre to bad teams. If we can beat the we might be able to beat a good team or two.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This D is solid, and no its not only cause we played ponder. We shut the lions down a couple weeks back. Julius and clay is one of the best tandems rushing the passer in football. We have a very good secondary overall that improves each week as Ha Ha dix does. Mike daniels and dat one jones look like young special lineman. We just needs out mlbs to show up and hope our dline can be just a bit more consistent stopping the run.

Packers pass defense is one of the top rated units... that is not the problem. The problem is the rush defense and that is fundamental.... first you need to stop the run and the Packers cannot do that well right now. That is why other teams are winning total yards and TOP vs Packers. Right now the defense reminds me of the 2011 defense... give up a lot of yards (now with rush... in 2011 with pass) and create a lot of turnovers (how it becomes a better scoring defense).

These D is not "solid" until they can stop the run consistently and against good teams.

packfancjh

Hoopla Cash
$ 403.15
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting read I came across this morning. Credit Dom Capers: Why the Packers' Bad Run Defense Might Not Be a Concern After All - Acme Packing Company Our D is ranked in the top 10 for points allowed which to me is the only stat that truly matters on defense. I will also put more stock into the run D numbers after there has been a half of a year played. Tough to judge after only a few games all the while we have been going though a schematic change on D. Three of the teams we've played were also top 10 running offenses from last year and Chicago was just out of the top ten

Mondio

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a long season. I'm not thrilled with where our defense is or was, but I have seen enough to be excited and optimistic for our season. They have play makers. They can stop the run, the can defend the past. They haven't been consistent. It's early, people changed positions, the overall flow of the defense has changed too. I've seen growth each week in players.

They all haven't progressed at the same speed which has left some holes on occassion, but I think once they all come together as a team and a defensive unit and a couple young guys learn and a couple old guys settle in this team is going to still give up yards, not give up points and get turnovers which gives the offense more opportunity to score points.

Chrisisjoker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an interesting read I came across this morning. Credit Dom Capers: Why the Packers' Bad Run Defense Might Not Be a Concern After All - Acme Packing Company Our D is ranked in the top 10 for points allowed which to me is the only stat that truly matters on defense. I will also put more stock into the run D numbers after there has been a half of a year played. Tough to judge after only a few games all the while we have been going though a schematic change on D. Three of the teams we've played were also top 10 running offenses from last year and Chicago was just out of the top ten

I agree scoring defense is the only stat that matters. We havent played the best of QBs but certainly ones that can throw the ball. Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford, and Russell Wilson. I like this defense from where we were last year to now. These guys have a lot of potential to be one of the best in the league, they just need to come together and play hard and tough. I hope they can keep it up so we can be top 5 in the league.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree scoring defense is the only stat that matters. We havent played the best of QBs but certainly ones that can throw the ball. Jay Cutler, Matthew Stafford, and Russell Wilson. I like this defense from where we were last year to now. These guys have a lot of potential to be one of the best in the league, they just need to come together and play hard and tough. I hope they can keep it up so we can be top 5 in the league.

Packers D is worst in the league against the run. Miami is #5 in the league running. Miami gets there RB back this week. You should be worried instead of liking the defense.....

Chrisisjoker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers D is worst in the league against the run. Miami is #5 in the league running. Miami gets there RB back this week. You should be worried instead of liking the defense.....

Im aware of that. Compared to last year this defense is better, you should've read my post a couple more times then you'll understand why I said what I said. You guys struggled against the run against them, but the only difference between the two teams is Aaron Rodgers is hot right now and if we can score early and often it'll make them abandon the running game therefore forcing them to beat us through the air.