• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Thinking about getting a Tacoma...

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Now we're getting somewhere! My boat mechanic has a 2500 chevy with one of these hydraulic arms on the back for lifting outboards n sech. He says he'd never own anything but a chevy truck. Good for him...he doesn't mind that his last 2 have gotten a leak in the rear main seal!

foldaway500_navara02.jpg

Ask a Ford or Dodge guy, they'll say the same about their trucks.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I will say Chevy has come a long way in the last 8 years or so. Finally a good diesel, and powertrain combo for their work trucks.
But Eddie is looking for a half ton, I'm sure they're all pretty equal IMO.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also don't like the idea of a 2004-2008 Ford, and having to buy an extractor tool just to change a damn spark plug.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Michigan there's a good chance of getting pinned down and raped, "Deliverance" style, if you're caught driving a foreign truck.

If you but a Toyota, and they are chasing you in a Ford/Chevy/Dodge, they will break down before they ever catch you.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
now that is a fine looking truck ^

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edisto, here's what you do...may not be a half ton...but it will be better than any truck on the road.

get a '97-'06 Jeep Wrangler, then get the AEV Brute conversion kit

Brute.jpg

here's a nice one for the newer jeeps

brutedoublecab-2.jpg

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Holy shit dude...didn't realize there was such a thing! I was just admiring the jeep gladiator truck concept when I put that old pic up there.

gladiator_concept_ftside.jpg

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^ Holy shit dude...didn't realize there was such a thing! I was just admiring the jeep gladiator truck concept when I put that old pic up there.

gladiator_concept_ftside.jpg

from the looks of that concept, i think they are paying attention to the mods that some folks are doing to their jeep, I have a friend here in town who has a TJ sahara edition and he is contemplating doing this conversion. The conversion kit he was looking at i think he said is about 12k

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I also don't like the idea of a 2004-2008 Ford, and having to buy an extractor tool just to change a damn spark plug.

How long do you keep your vehicles? Those plugs will last a couple hundred thousand miles. There's a chance you'll trade/sell it before they need changing.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
Has dodge gotten over their transmission issues?

I'm not sure. I never was interested in Dodges because of their past issues with tranny and rust. But there's a job supt. for a builder we work with that drives one, it's an '09 half ton and he's had no problems with it. He doesn't tow anything on a regular basis, but puts plenty of miles on throughout the year.

hunzworth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I'm not sure. I never was interested in Dodges because of their past issues with tranny and rust. But there's a job supt. for a builder we work with that drives one, it's an '09 half ton and he's had no problems with it. He doesn't tow anything on a regular basis, but puts plenty of miles on throughout the year.

just remember where they had a loooooong run of defective transmissions in the durangos and 1/2 ton rams.

AHFox

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I brought a brand new Toyota tundra back in 2006. I love the truck and have no intentions to trade it off anytime soon. The reason I bought one. The farmer who rents our farm ground in Nebraska brought a tundra back in 2004 and still has it. He puts 85K to 100K on it every year. He told me back in 06 they don't break down they ride great and get good milage.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
I brought a brand new Toyota tundra back in 2006. I love the truck and have no intentions to trade it off anytime soon. The reason I bought one. The farmer who rents our farm ground in Nebraska brought a tundra back in 2004 and still has it. He puts 85K to 100K on it every year. He told me back in 06 they don't break down they ride great and get good milage.

Over 500,000 miles, not bad.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want a diesel (which you say you don't since it is 1/2 ton) go with Dodge. If you want anything else, go with Ford. The foreign ones all look nice (except the damn Honda one), but a foreign truck to me is like a domestic car. Ain't gonna happen.

Personally I hate Chevy. I have caught grief from my friends that swear by their Chevy's, but they don't hold up. Even if you get an F150 v-6 ecoboost, it will pull almost anything you need unless you are doing heavy construction. gas mileage will be good, and the v-6's last for freaking ever. The transmissions are good, the suspension will hold up, and if you get used you will save a lot because they will hold up. 4x4 is a little more sketchy because you never know what some kid might have tried to do with a stock 4x4, but a few quick checks will find slide marks under the kick panels and on the diffs.

So I'm obviously pro-Ford. Dodge makes a good diesel(made by ford). The Chevy duramax is a piece of crap. It's fast, but who drags a diesel. I want one that will last. Dodge Ram used to have suspension issues, they would start to sag real bad. That was 8-9 years ago so they might have fixed it. I know you can typically get a real good deal on a crew cab, 6' bed on the F150s. My dad and brother bought new ones last year and got great deals.

JohnRandle

Gold Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,356.27
Fav. Team #1
If you want a diesel (which you say you don't since it is 1/2 ton) go with Dodge. If you want anything else, go with Ford. The foreign ones all look nice (except the damn Honda one), but a foreign truck to me is like a domestic car. Ain't gonna happen.

Personally I hate Chevy. I have caught grief from my friends that swear by their Chevy's, but they don't hold up. Even if you get an F150 v-6 ecoboost, it will pull almost anything you need unless you are doing heavy construction. gas mileage will be good, and the v-6's last for freaking ever. The transmissions are good, the suspension will hold up, and if you get used you will save a lot because they will hold up. 4x4 is a little more sketchy because you never know what some kid might have tried to do with a stock 4x4, but a few quick checks will find slide marks under the kick panels and on the diffs.

So I'm obviously pro-Ford. Dodge makes a good diesel(made by ford). The Chevy duramax is a piece of crap. It's fast, but who drags a diesel. I want one that will last. Dodge Ram used to have suspension issues, they would start to sag real bad. That was 8-9 years ago so they might have fixed it. I know you can typically get a real good deal on a crew cab, 6' bed on the F150s. My dad and brother bought new ones last year and got great deals.

This would have been true between the years '03 to '07, when the 6.0 was being put in Fords.
But the New 6.7 Powerstroke Scorpion kicks all of their asses, and it's not even close. 400 hp @ 2800 rpm and 800 lb-ft torque @ 1600 rpm. :shocked:
This will be my next diesel without a doubt. And it's all Ford engineered, no more International.

Last edited by a moderator: