• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The youth movement.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Phillies have 6 players on the current roster that range from 23 years old to 27 years old,not counting pitchers or catchers. The Question is this; Should we keep both Hernandez and Revere on the roster next year? Should the Phillies try to get a power bat for the outfield as Amaro suggests? Amaro may want to trade Galvis and Ruf in order to get a power bat for the outfield. If he does that,assuming that it is not a center fielder, then Hernandez would become a utility player. Revere can run,so he would probably play center and lead off. But if Amaro signs a center fielder,he might want to trade Revere. That would give Ruf a chance to start in right. The other scenario is to start Hernandez in center,and use Revere as a bench player. Assuming Asche will play 3rd base and Galvis could be a utility player,and of course Franco will spend a season at triple A,the Phillies could hold on to the young core. But if Franco tears it up in spring and the Phillies give him the 3rd base job, (he can't really play any other position.) Then they would probably move Asche to left field and Brown to right. That would eliminate Ruf,or reduce him to being a bench player. This whole scenario can be confusing, so I would like some feedback.

_phiLLies_

shut up baby, i know it
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well.. you're not going to see galvis traded. as long as the phils limit rollins' plate appearances, his contract will be up after next year. guys like crawford and quinn are still years away, even if they prove themselves. quinn will possibly move to the outfield as well.

i'd like to trade revere for some relief help. hernandez is younger and more talented. that's that.

if they could package ruf for a reliable, non soon to be in a wheelchair outfielder, i'd be OK with it.

i can't imagine franco being considered for the team, even if he goes crazy in domini ball and spring training. they would have no options by the time the season starts unless they push asche towards the outfield from day 1 of ST. even then, that could still result in ruf being demoted or sitting on the bench. so how much of a win would it really be?

personally, if i was in amaro's douchebag shoes, i'd go by what franco does with winter ball. if he keeps tearing it up, i'd make it his job to lose at 3rd. meaning asche is taking fly balls before ST even starts. i'd then open with..

hernandez (cf)
utley (2nd)
franco (3rd)
howard (1st)
brown (left)
rollins (ss)
asche (right)
ruiz (c)

revere and ruf traded. bernadina, gone. mayberry, gone. kratz, gone. galvis and a new shiny bench.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great topic, Northeast. Let's start with known quantities or primary guys.

c - Phils need 3-deep: Ruiz, Rupp, Kratz. Resign Ruiz 1 or 2 years. A must to win in 2014.
1b - Howard. .300 VS RHP. Sucks vs LHP. Could platoon to save legs with Franco or Ruf.
2b - Utley is showing he can still do the job. Cesar is best to replace him if Chase goes down.
3b - Asche has shown he belongs and should still improve. Franco is an option.
ss - JPop is a fixture but a thorn in the lineup at .240. Galvis excellent fielding but inconsistant hitter.
LF - Brown. Plays left or RF. Excellent power hitter plus average.
CF - Revere. Excellent .300 leadoff hitter. Can drag bunt. Improving in CF. Arm not great but avg. makes up.
RF - Ruf. Excellent power. Needs to improve batting average. Adequate in OF.

Bench - Cesar Hernandez. .300. Excellent option at 2nd and OF. Galvis fair. Current bench sucks with with MM, JMJ, Bernie, Orr.

What do we need? Better hitting at ss but we're stuck with JRol. More RH power and we have it if the bastards would bring up Franco. Trade to get better bench players..

Bottom line. The Phils can win with these position players. Franco and Hernandez are needed as options who are ready to step up when the time comes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God I keep getting that sick feeling in my belly thinking about the potential young players we could lose in the next few years bc of untradable stiffs with no ability to be moved...Thanks Ryan & Jimmy & Chase!

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard could be moved to an American league team as a DH. All we have to do is eat about 17 million a year of his remaining contract.

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope so. Get his fat ass out of here!!

Would love to see this but not gonna happen for how much the Phils will have to eat just to dump him and there is no way RAJ will do it and get egg on his face, he will never admit being wrong, ever!

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saying that Amaro won't move Howard to keep egg off his face,just tells you that our GM has an Identity. The Big false ego identity! He could easily use Ruf as our everyday 1st baseman and move Howard out. The extra 8 million that someone else will pay Howard,can be used toward pitching upgrades. Also,he could add another outfielder as well. Sometimes you have to subtract in order to add, just look what the Red Sox did, and how well it is working!

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the Red Sox are using Billy Bean Ball tactics and they will always be in the hunt because of it just like the A's are again who still have the real deal.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brain-dead is... ...well brain-dead. He would not know how to successfully run a ballclub if you drew him a map and apparently Gillick has and he still screws things up!

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Northeast and Phillies, what is the thinking behind moving Asche to the outfield and trading Ruf. It seems like with that lineup you don't have much in the way of righthanded power. Ruiz isn't really a homerun hitter, Rollins power numbers are way down this year, so that leaves the rookie Franco. I realize Asche is 3 or 4 years younger but to me it looks like as a pure offensive player Ruf is better. Is the thinking that Asche could play 3rd if needed or that he would potentially be a better outfielder?

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cedrique, moving Asche to left field would basically be a forced move, totally based on whether the Phillies want Franco to start at 3rd base next season. Franco is limited as far as positions go. The only other position that he may be able to play is 1st base. Well,we already know that belongs to Howard. Asche would probably qualify to play 2nd base,but Utley is locked in. Then,we have Hernandez,who is being converted to an outfielder because there is no room in the infield. Hernandez has a promising bat,so I hope he gets a chance to start next year. That leaves Ruf and Galvis,and frandsen. Amaro would probably trade at least one of them for a pitcher. We would still have Revere returning next year to complete the outfield.Amaro does not like Ruf because he projected him as a flash in the pan type, Amaro will have to listen to Sandburg about Ruf,because Sandburg likes him. The Best scenario for my taste,would be for Franko to play triple A next season. Then Ruf could start in Right,and Asche would get a full season at 3rd. By the way, I have seen Ruf make a few good plays in the outfield, he is getting more comfortable there. The sad part about these conversations, is that most of them would not happen, if we had a GM with a brain!

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cedrique, moving Asche to left field would basically be a forced move, totally based on whether the Phillies want Franco to start at 3rd base next season. Franco is limited as far as positions go. The only other position that he may be able to play is 1st base. Well,we already know that belongs to Howard. Asche would probably qualify to play 2nd base,but Utley is locked in. Then,we have Hernandez,who is being converted to an outfielder because there is no room in the infield. Hernandez has a promising bat,so I hope he gets a chance to start next year. That leaves Ruf and Galvis,and frandsen. Amaro would probably trade at least one of them for a pitcher. We would still have Revere returning next year to complete the outfield.Amaro does not like Ruf because he projected him as a flash in the pan type, Amaro will have to listen to Sandburg about Ruf,because Sandburg likes him. The Best scenario for my taste,would be for Franko to play triple A next season. Then Ruf could start in Right,and Asche would get a full season at 3rd. By the way, I have seen Ruf make a few good plays in the outfield, he is getting more comfortable there. The sad part about these conversations, is that most of them would not happen, if we had a GM with a brain!
why in the world would you keep franco at AAA? If he is raking, you have to promote him and find a spot. Besides with all the older, injury prone guys that we have, there will be positions open for franco and hernandez to play all during next season.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then, I guess if we bring Franco up we then move Rollins, Galvis, Mayberry, Bernidina and Utley for that matter and then the Phillies have places for all the new guys. Bring Rupp along and move Ruiz as well.

I know its wishful thinking but trying to shuffle people around to keep a bunch of overpaid nitwit vets is insane.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why in the world would you keep franco at AAA? If he is raking, you have to promote him and find a spot. Besides with all the older, injury prone guys that we have, there will be positions open for franco and hernandez to play all during next season.

It might not be possible, but I'd love to see Franco added to the spring training roster. Unless something significant happens over the winter, there's no place for Franco yet. If the club gets off to a good start with the positions I listed above, and they continue to win, Franco will be at triple A for another year. Obviously, a lot can still happen. I'm thinking we'll see him in a Phillies uniform some time next year.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jvett77, it is a given that Franco will be part of the spring roster. It has been a few years since Phillie fans have had something to get exited about. The potential youth movement creates great anticipation for us all. However, Amaro could screw this up and block some of our future talent,with his inept ways. The one thing in our favor next season would be Sandburgs input, I think it would have more sway than Charlie ever had. But of course,that is if Sandburg gets the job!

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jvett77, it is a given that Franco will be part of the spring roster. It has been a few years since Phillie fans have had something to get exited about. The potential youth movement creates great anticipation for us all. However, Amaro could screw this up and block some of our future talent,with his inept ways. The one thing in our favor next season would be Sandburgs input, I think it would have more sway than Charlie ever had. But of course,that is if Sandburg gets the job!

I agree northest. I think Sanberg has the job now and he'll move things along if anyone in the lineup isn't performing; that includes Howard and Jrol even if it means some downtime for either player. I'm still not sure how much power Amaro wields in a front office with these old guys - Montgomery, 67, Gillick, 75, Giles, 75, Green, 79, Wade, 57, though Gillick, Giles, and Green may have little influence or are inactive.

northeastphillyguy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gillick is just an advisor,and nothing more, perhaps he can suggest certain things in regards to building a team,but for the most part,he has been away from baseball for a while now. Wade has a close relationship with Amaro,and it's been that way for a while now. He is the Godfather to one of Amaros daughters. Wade knows how to pick talent, thus he is a good scout. But since he just came aboard in 2012, we will have to wait and see if he is still effective in the scouting area. All in all, Amaro needs to at least listen,before he acts, He is a spending freak, and that has not worked all that well so far. Player development from within, builds a team for years to come, and since the Phillies have the money, we can afford to keep them when that time comes. IMO.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That big TV contract money is going to get blown pretty quick with brain-dead running the show. Hopefully Wade will make a loud enough difference that brain-dead will be odd-man out and he'll fall into the Delaware or East River or something!!

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That big TV contract money is going to get blown pretty quick with brain-dead running the show. Hopefully Wade will make a loud enough difference that brain-dead will be odd-man out and he'll fall into the Delaware or East River or something!!

That was funny Retro. Actually, Wade is a scary guy, single-handedly ruined the Astros because of his love of trading quality players who are nowhere near their peak, e.g., Pence and Bourn.

Wade came here and Victorino and Pence were traded. Hmmmm.

Last edited by a moderator: