• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: The Rangers Visit The Angels June 1-3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only time I have ever wanted an ignore feature was back when the DMN used to have an in-game chat. There was one guy on there almost every night who used to present himself as some kind of board comedian. He had very little baseball opinions or insights. He just thought of himself as being hilaruous. Now, that guy I wanted to be able to ignore.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scott Lucas had a breakdown of players projected to be picked by the Rangers in the draft this evenng I will post some of his material below.

Last edited:

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OF Connor Scott, Plant, FL, Age 18, 6'4", 180 (Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis of MLB.com)
(#23 prospect per Baseball America, #18 per MLB.com)

Scott attended the same high school and has drawn some comparisons to Astros OF Kyle Tucker. Scott is faster but lacks Tucker's power. His strong arm will more than suffice if he doesn't stick in center, Scott can also pitch well, but he'll be drafted as a position player. Baseball America describes him as a "potential impact hitter," while MLB.com says he has the "makings of a five-tool player."

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RHP Carter Stewart, Melbourne, FL, Age 18, 6'6", 200 ( Eric Longenhagen and Kiley McDaniel of Fangraphs.com)
(#9 prospect per Baseball America, #5 per MLB.com)

The highest rated high school righty in the draft, Stewart drew attention early on for his advanced curve, a low-80s bender with superb depth. More recently, his fastball has jumped to a steady 92-94 and touched 98. The change has lagged behind, in part because he hasn't needed it. Nobody has Stewart dipping lower than #15 to Texas; if anything, he'll be gone by the time Texas picks despite tailing off down the stretch this season.

Both Jonathan Mayo and Jim Callis of MLB.com had Stewart dropping to Texas in an earlier draft, but they now expect the Braves to swipe him at #8.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LHP Ryan Weathers, Loretto, TN, Age 18 , 6'2", 210 (Baseball America)
(#16 draft prospect per Baseball America, #13 per MLB.com)

Gatorade National Player of the Year and rated only behind Matt Liberatore among high school lefties. Father David pitched in the bigs, mom played hoops at Belmont. Weathers lacks a single pitch to match Stewart's best but already has a solid change. He offers a low-90s heater than reaches 95 and an upper-70s curve. He commands everything well.

Weathers was also a Keith Law pick in an earlier mock.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OF Jordyn Adams, Green Hope, NC, Age 18, 6'2", 175, (Keith Law of ESPN)
(#45 prospect per BA, #37 per MLB.com)

Adams is ultra-athletic, possibly an 80 runner, a dubious hitter a year ago but vastly improved as a senior. He doesn't rate as highly as the prep arms I've mentioned because the track record is lacking, but he arguably has as high a ceiling. He could become an average hitter with superior speed and good CF defense. Adams has a stronger college commitment than anyone else mentioned here, and he would also play football at UNC, where his dad coaches the D line. He won't sign cheaply.

Adams was also linked to Texas in an earlier Fangraphs.com mock.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RHP Cole Winn, Orange, CA, Age 18, 6'2", 195 (Jonathan Mayo in an earlier mock)
(#10 prospect per BA, #9 per MLB.com)

Everybody now has Winn off the board by the time the Rangers pick, as he's only improved this spring. His fastball reaches the mid-90s with good command, and his change has been okay, if rarely employed. Winn throws a solid curve and developing slider, the latter a recent addition per Baseball America. If he doesn't sign, he'll head to TCU.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OF Jarred Kelenic, Waukesha, WI, Age 18, 6'1", 196 (earlier mock from Keith Law)
(#12 prospect per BA, #10 per MLB.com)

Like Winn, the mockers have Kelenic picked earlier than Texas's spot, potentially in the top nine. He turns 19 in July and is already a polished hitter with burgeoning power than should reach average. Despite good speed, he might not stick in CF, but (unlike Adams) he easily has the arm for right.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RHP Grayson Rodriguez, Nacodoches, TX, Age 18, 6'5", 230 (earlier mock from Baseball America)
(#24 per BA, #22 per MLB.com)

He's not on this list if the draft had occurred in January. Rodriguez got into shape before the season and added several ticks to his fastball, dealing steady mid-90s with movement and reaching 98. Like Winn, he throws a promising slider and curve but hasn't had much use for a change. The latest mocks have going anywhere from 10th to 34th.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a single college player mocked to go to the Rangers with the first pick. I wonder if that is due to the lack of strong college talent or the Rangers reputation of drafting high school players.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have a favorite or two out of those players?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is The Sporting News pick for the Rangers.

No. 15 Texas Rangers — Nolan Gorman, 3B, Sandra Day O’Connor (Ariz.) HS
Everything is bigger in Texas. That being the case, Gorman’s bat should fit in just fine in Arlington, as the high school senior possesses some of the best power in this year’s draft. At 6-1 and 210 pounds, Gorman features an easy swing from the left side that generates tremendous bat speed. The major question mark surrounding Gorman, however, is whether he can stay at third base as a pro. If he can’t, his power profiles well for a corner outfield spot.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone have a favorite or two out of those players?

Carter and Weathers. But would like to get Ortiz back. Maybe Brinson as well

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is The Sporting News pick for the Rangers.

No. 15 Texas Rangers — Nolan Gorman, 3B, Sandra Day O’Connor (Ariz.) HS
Everything is bigger in Texas. That being the case, Gorman’s bat should fit in just fine in Arlington, as the high school senior possesses some of the best power in this year’s draft. At 6-1 and 210 pounds, Gorman features an easy swing from the left side that generates tremendous bat speed. The major question mark surrounding Gorman, however, is whether he can stay at third base as a pro. If he can’t, his power profiles well for a corner outfield spot.

Great. Another potential power bat and COF. Translation, lots of K's. He'll fit in great.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wash was a better IF teacher than Banny but not so good with subs but I did not like Max getting pinch run either. Wash hated the youth and Banny is on notice to get this straight. IKF and Guz are doing better IMO than they would have under Wash. Wash never gave Profar a fair shake IMO

I wouldn’t be so quick to give Banny credit for IKF and Profar. Let’s see what happens when Elvis gets back and if Beltre stays healthy. I think people are going to be disappointed in seeing who plays and who doesn’t.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn’t be so quick to give Banny credit for IKF and Profar. Let’s see what happens when Elvis gets back and if Beltre stays healthy. I think people are going to be disappointed in seeing who plays and who doesn’t.
Missed the point.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter and Weathers. But would like to get Ortiz back. Maybe Brinson as well
Carter and Weathers is who I thought as well. Weathers intrigued me because of his variation of speed. That can really mess with hitters. Carter because of his size and variety of pitches but would be good if he could add the change as well.