• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were plenty on here who thought it should increase last offseason. Why is that different now?

Didn't you say last offseason that they would spend when they found something worth spending on?

JD himself has said that he could always go to the owners to ask them to spend more if he thought someone was worth spending on. He just knew it wouldn't be the past 2 offseasons.

None of that changes the fact that the only two people who can answer the question you posed are Bob Simpson and Ray Davis.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of that changes the fact that the only two people who can answer the question you posed are Bob Simpson and Ray Davis.
Well then I guess those who say they should spend more are just as qualified to say so as those who think they can't spend very much more. That puts us back to square one. We are all just giving our opinions on how much we think they should spend until we hear differently from the front office. Therefore no qualifiers are needed regarding anyone's post being based on a lack of knowledge of what the front office is doing. That is sort of understood.

Those who think we can afford 2 free agents and those who think we can only slightly increase the budget are both in the same boat. The USS Assumptions.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then I guess those who say they should spend more are just as qualified to say so as those who think they can't spend very much more. That puts us back to square one. We are all just giving our opinions on how much we think they should spend until we hear differently from the front office. Therefore no qualifiers are needed regarding anyone's post being based on a lack of knowledge of what the front office is doing. That is sort of understood.

Those who think we can afford 2 free agents and those who think we can only slightly increase the budget are both in the same boat. The USS Assumptions.

I just think it's pointless to engage in conversations about things we literally have no idea about, and have almost zero information to go on when putting our opinions out there. It's one thing to speculate about trades because we have information to go on. The same is true when discussing prospects and even discussing what we think certain FA's are worth and what you might be willing to give in a contract to sign them from a value standpoint.

But to sit here and pretend like any of us have anything resembling a fraction of an idea of what the two men who write the checks for this ball club are in a position to be capable of doing with their money with regards to whether they can afford to increase payroll to spend with any other team is straight up delusional, and frankly a bit arrogant. That's like you telling me I can afford a new truck because I haven't increased my expenses in the last two years.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were plenty on here who thought it should increase last offseason. Why is that different now?

Didn't you say last offseason that they would spend when they found something worth spending on?

JD himself has said that he could always go to the owners to ask them to spend more if he thought someone was worth spending on. He just knew it wouldn't be the past 2 offseasons.

Well I don't think JD gets what he wants carte Blanche much like the entitled kid. Their are restraints which probably should not be advertised so to not give away poker hand when dealing. For all we know there may have been guys JD wanted like Abreu but the owners had a limit. But yes we are in a Ricky position not wanting to give away a potential marquee player like Brinson to obvious defensive and RHB need

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it's pointless to engage in conversations about things we literally have no idea about, and have almost zero information to go on when putting our opinions out there. It's one thing to speculate about trades because we have information to go on. The same is true when discussing prospects and even discussing what we think certain FA's are worth and what you might be willing to give in a contract to sign them from a value standpoint.

But to sit here and pretend like any of us have anything resembling a fraction of an idea of what the two men who write the checks for this ball club are in a position to be capable of doing with their money with regards to whether they can afford to increase payroll to spend with any other team is straight up delusional, and frankly a bit arrogant. That's like you telling me I can afford a new truck because I haven't increased my expenses in the last two years.
I agree and I also think it is pointless to assume that they cannot spend significantly more than they have in the past since we don't know what kept them from spending more in the past. We really don't have enough information to have opinions regarding trades because sometimes they have ideas that would prohibit them from doing what we think makes perfect sense. It is all speculation and even if someone disagrees with my speculation they can feel free to speculate all they want to. That is the beauty of this time of year.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and I also think it is pointless to assume that they cannot spend significantly more than they have in the past since we don't know what kept them from spending more in the past. We really don't have enough information to have opinions regarding trades because sometimes they have ideas that would prohibit them from doing what we think makes perfect sense. It is all speculation and even if someone disagrees with my speculation they can feel free to speculate all they want to. That is the beauty of this time of year.

Not an apples to apples comparison.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rangers were very disappointed with attendance esp
down the stretch and weekdays.

They had a lot of STH opt out the year before and although park attendance was high a year ago, concessions were down. I saw this personally.
With addition of Cole that should help but I think they wil be in a wait and see game to see if STH base comes back. I prefer being out there during good weather but August heat is a beat own for most. A dome is gonna happen at some point. That will help sales and for me Dallas county is better. Not sure if they will ever step to the plate which is a shame

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you say that? We would save some on both Choo and Prince if we traded them. We would have to pay a good portion of their salary, but it would save us some. It certainly would not cost us. We could probably save close to $20 million per year between the two of them. We also have other players coming off of the payroll including Gallardo, maybe Mitch, Leonys, Colby, and Feliz. Now we are going to have to replace one of the pitchers at some cost, but you would still have a good start. The rest of those guys could be replaced cheap or have already been replaced cheap.

Also, who says our payroll can't increase substantially since it hasn't much the past 2 seasons? Why can't we spend in the neighborhood of what the Giants and Tigers are spending?

It is more logical for the Rangers to fill one need offensively than make the kind of multiple moves you pushing for. Right now all we really need is a RH hand power bat.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is more logical for the Rangers to fill one need offensively than make the kind of multiple moves you pushing for. Right now all we really need is a RH hand power bat.

Are you sure about that?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The question is, where to insert that RH power bat, and who?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think it has to be a LF'er like Upton. batting order:

DeShields
Choo
Beltre
Fielder
Upton
Moreland
Andrus
Chirinos
Odor

Ok, but the problem is if you sign upton, what do you do with Mazara and Brinson when Upton and Choo are blocking them? Brinson potentially takes DDJ's spot at some point, but what about Mazara/Gallo?

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but the problem is if you sign upton, what do you do with Mazara and Brinson when Upton and Choo are blocking them? Brinson potentially takes DDJ's spot at some point, but what about Mazara/Gallo?

well Beltre is in the last year of his contract in 2016 and i think he retires after the season so naturally Gallo would be the obvious player to replace him at 3rd. Mazara i don't know where we fit him

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the responsibility to Hamilton in 2016 was $0.

You are pretty close with Halo kickin it is about 2 million net. Stats buried in article

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Beltre is in the last year of his contract in 2016 and i think he retires after the season so naturally Gallo would be the obvious player to replace him at 3rd. Mazara i don't know where we fit him

Would not retire Beltre too quickly. Perhaps a hometown discount. Love to see him get a ring

Status
Not open for further replies.