• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Officially Official Off Season Thread (2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moreland ready for Rangers after stress fracture in 2015

Moreland finished 2015 with a stress fracture in his left foot, the same one that was rebuilt in June 2014. No surgery was needed, no single event caused the injury, and he found a way to manage the pain without sacrificing too much of what speed he has.

“It might have cost me a step or two, but I’ve never been known for my speed. I just kept playing,” said Moreland, who has been in Arizona since Feb. 1. “I’ve had a whole healthy off-season, and went about it pretty good.”...

Lost in all the hubbub about Josh Hamilton’s health is that he wasn’t the only Rangers starting outfielder who finished the season with issues with his left knee.

Center fielder Delino DeShields played with a sprain down the stretch after a wonky slide in early September at Seattle. The injury did not require off-season surgery, and DeShields, who is already at Rangers camp, said that he is ready to go.

“I had a lot of time to rest up and recuperate,” DeShields said. “I’ve been able to do all the things I normally do.”

The second-year player is noticeably more muscular in his upper body, but not to the point that it will prevent him from being the Rangers’ fastest player. DeShields appears to be a lock for the roster, but he isn’t complacent.

He acknwledges that he has a different role than last spring, when he was a long sot to ake the roster, yet has convinced himself that he is fighting to make the team with James Jones and Lewis Brinson a year after being a long shot to make the team a year ago.

“It’s never a sure thing,” DeSheilds said. “Coming into spring training, I know people are saying I have a good chance to be the starting center fielder, but I’m still going to compete like I’m fighting for the last spot on the roster. If it so happens that I am the center fielder, great. But I’m not going to coming into spring training comfortable.”

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt those guys make the club out of ST. I would imagine they would wade through Hamilton, Ruggiano, Rua and one of those guys mentioned above(Murphy et al.) before they would entertain the possibility of bringing one of the prospects up before mid-May or June or even later. They might even try Ike Davis and the kid Kivlehan they got from Seattle before Mazara, Gallo or Brinson get called up.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard Eric Nadel with Cowlislaw today and his thoughts on Hamilton getting 120 games in LF were......."seems way to optimistic to me. If we got 100, even 80 quality games out of him, I'd be fine with this. But 120 just doesn't seem realistic to me."

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love seeing DDJ and Odor in camp early. I get the impression from Roogie that he wants to be a leader when it's his time.

Both are showing leader attitudes and qualities. Really nice to see.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are showing leader attitudes and qualities. Really nice to see.

It sure is. Now, if we can get EA to follow-suit, we may just be on to something.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas Rangers trade rumors: Alejandro De Aza possible Rangers target

I would think Murphy would be the best fit of the 3 names mentioned. De Aza would make almost $6 million and would cost some minor leaguers as well. Venable couldn't hit at all here last year.

We have so much youth. I do not think we will look for any of those 3 and sure not to give up picks. Although starting of the clock could be an issue too. Makes me think we ride Josh as long as we can until June

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really doubt those guys make the club out of ST. I would imagine they would wade through Hamilton, Ruggiano, Rua and one of those guys mentioned above(Murphy et al.) before they would entertain the possibility of bringing one of the prospects up before mid-May or June or even later. They might even try Ike Davis and the kid Kivlehan they got from Seattle before Mazara, Gallo or Brinson get called up.

you are probably right but you never know

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ranking the teams: 18 through 13

David Schoenfield has the Rangers at #14. He isn't sold on our rotation.

I think--well you know what I think.

His prediction is 83-79.

David Schoenfield is one of the biggest idiots at ESPN, and that's saying a lot. Just one look at his picture tells you he's a stat geek who's never even thrown a baseball in his life. His predictions and rankings are always way off (probably why ESPN keeps him around).

He has the Astros at #3 overall and the best team in the AL. He says that if they stay healthy, they will "run away with the division". He projects regression for several Rangers (which is a fair argument), but he fails to predict any regression for career nobodies like Luis Valbuena and Colby Rasmus (talk about playing WAY over their heads last year!). He says they had a great offseason- adding Doug Fister and Ken Giles while losing Chris Carter, Jed Lowrie, Hank Conger, Vincent Velasquez, Brett Oberholtzer, and Scott Kazmir is supposedly great I guess. And he says that Martin Perez and Derek Holland were never really all that great while gushing over Colin McHugh (mediocre) and Lance McCullers.

Basically he pointed out all the ways that the Rangers could fail, yet made every excuse possible for the Astros (things like "he was good if you don't count the first half" or "their bullpen was solid if you ignore the playoffs"). Essentially, he went into these rankings with his mind already made up and then just twisted his narratives and ignored facts on every team to support his rankings. He's an idiot.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sure is. Now, if we can get EA to follow-suit, we may just be on to something.
Well, to be fair, Elvis did show up early as well if that is what we are going on to show leadership.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
David Schoenfield is one of the biggest idiots at ESPN, and that's saying a lot. Just one look at his picture tells you he's a stat geek who's never even thrown a baseball in his life. His predictions and rankings are always way off (probably why ESPN keeps him around).

He has the Astros at #3 overall and the best team in the AL. He says that if they stay healthy, they will "run away with the division". He projects regression for several Rangers (which is a fair argument), but he fails to predict any regression for career nobodies like Luis Valbuena and Colby Rasmus (talk about playing WAY over their heads last year!). He says they had a great offseason- adding Doug Fister and Ken Giles while losing Chris Carter, Jed Lowrie, Hank Conger, Vincent Velasquez, Brett Oberholtzer, and Scott Kazmir is supposedly great I guess. And he says that Martin Perez and Derek Holland were never really all that great while gushing over Colin McHugh (mediocre) and Lance McCullers.

Basically he pointed out all the ways that the Rangers could fail, yet made every excuse possible for the Astros (things like "he was good if you don't count the first half" or "their bullpen was solid if you ignore the playoffs"). Essentially, he went into these rankings with his mind already made up and then just twisted his narratives and ignored facts on every team to support his rankings. He's an idiot.
I think you hit the nail squarely on the head.

Status
Not open for further replies.