• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Official: 10,000 Posts for a Flyers Stanley Cup! (.. eventually)

Status
Not open for further replies.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ladies and gents of the Flyers board, in honor of a new (and full) season,it's time to bring back the positivity and luck that these threads brought.

:cheer2::yahoo:LETS GO FLYERS!!!:yahoo::cheer2:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ladies and gents of the Flyers board, in honor of a new (and full) season,it's time to bring back the positivity and luck that these threads brought.

:cheer2::yahoo:LETS GO FLYERS!!!:yahoo::cheer2:

We got this!!!! Bring it home!!!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summer Skate: Philadelphia Flyers

phi.gif

The Flyers suffered through a "down" season from Claude Giroux in 2013, but more devastating to their postseason chances was the fact that the team's infamous problems in goal continued. It also didn't help that their defensive corps was decimated by injuries -- the club dressed 13 different defensemen last season, tied with both of the Florida franchises for most in the league.

Unable to withstand such turmoil on the blue line, Philadelphia missed the playoffs, but the hope is that offseason addition Mark Streit will solidify the unit. Furthermore, they drafted defensemen with their first two picks. Even so, this team's fate might ultimately reside in the hands of intriguing goaltending duo Steve Mason and Ray Emery.

Trending up: F Scott Hartnell
Last season: 1.2 GVT | VUKOTA projection: 5.1

After establishing himself as a physical player that would score in the 40-point range, Hartnell had a 67-point breakout campaign in 2011-12. With high expectations to continue in his new role of point producer, he notched a mere 12 points in 32 games in 2013, as a broken foot cost him about a month. The metrics also show us that Hartnell suffered through some poor shooting luck by his teammates while he was on the ice.

VUKOTA likes Hartnell to have a modest bounce-back year at the offensive end of the rink, accumulating about 0.58 points per game. His GVT projection would be even higher, but the system only projects him to play in 60 games -- as his games played total increases, his value will increase accordingly. -- Schwepfinger

Trending down: D Kimmo Timonen
Last season: 14.9 GVT | VUKOTA projection: 9.1

In a season when no Flyers defenseman was seemingly safe from the injury bug, Timonen appeared to be immune. He skated in 45 contests, mostly alongside Luke Schenn (the other Flyers' stalwart), but the two had to be split up late in the season as the team looked to balance the talent when their other top defensemen could not play. Timonen had a great campaign -- he notched his highest points per game total as a Flyer, and was particularly effective on the power play, as he recorded the highest power play points per 60 minutes rate of his Flyers tenure.

He'll turn 39 years old during the season, and is projected to fall back a bit in scoring, though it's not all his fault. The addition of Streit -- and the health of his fellow defensemen -- figures to reduce his opportunities a tad, but he still figures to be an important figure for the Flyers as he plays out the final season of his current pact. -- Schwepfinger

Pronman's name to know: F Tye McGinn

The Flyers don't have a great group of prospects currently in the system, and while first round pick Scott Laughton could potentially make the team, McGinn is also a solid option waiting in the wings. He had an 18-game stint in the NHL last season, during which he showed flashes that he could be -- at the least -- an average NHL forward. McGinn has a solid skill level, works hard and has a good power game. Currently, skating is the most notable concern for the 23-year-old.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Mcginn sticks with the big club i love his game.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Mcginn sticks with the big club i love his game.

Agreed. Good things seemed to happen when he was on the ice last year, as opposed to Laughton who was way overmatched. They both should be part of a solid future. There only seems to be room for one to start the season, though...

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone taken an edge in the goalie race to be the number 1?

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. Good things seemed to happen when he was on the ice last year, as opposed to Laughton who was way overmatched. They both should be part of a solid future. There only seems to be room for one to start the season, though...

i like mcginn, but i didn't think laughton was overmatched last year.. maybe i'm mis-remembering but i thought he played quite well for an 18 yr old

i do think a mcginn.couturier.read line would be pretty interesting.. but i really want laughton to make the team, even if it's at the expensve of mcginn. laughton has a much higher upside.

the flyers just have a ton of bottom 6 guys.. going to be interesting to see who makes the team and who doesn't

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

too soon to know i think.. training camp starts thursday, that's when we'll start to get an idea

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My guess is that they'll start the season with a fairly even split in games until one of the two clearly begins to outplay the other. Although, having both play well would be a nice problem to have...

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know i may be wrong in the long run on this but i really liked the way we played when mason was in the net.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i like mcginn, but i didn't think laughton was overmatched last year.. maybe i'm mis-remembering but i thought he played quite well for an 18 yr old

i do think a mcginn.couturier.read line would be pretty interesting.. but i really want laughton to make the team, even if it's at the expensve of mcginn. laughton has a much higher upside.

the flyers just have a ton of bottom 6 guys.. going to be interesting to see who makes the team and who doesn't

I thought Laughton's play was very tentative and he looked a step behind the play, although 5 games is probably not enough time to give a fair assessment. Perhaps "way overmatched" was excessive, but he certainly didn't seem like he belonged and clearly could have used more seasoning. The Flyers did the right thing in returning him to Juniors.

But, I definitely agree with you that Laughton has much more upside, and I would love for him to come into camp and TAKE the job.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the way both of them played but at this point in their respective careers Mginn is just simply a better player and i want the better player on the team not the player with upside.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the way both of them played but at this point in their respective careers Mginn is just simply a better player and i want the better player on the team not the player with upside.

Agreed on wanting the better player right NOW. It's up to both of them to prove who deserves it more - or possibly a dark horse like Raffl.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry Flyer fans but this thread will probably hit 1,000,000,000+ posts before you see that Cup

jk

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From hockeybuzz, so take it for what it's worth:

*The interest surrounding Dan Cleary is definitely escalating and with good reason. Besides interest from Philly, I have heard Buffalo, Florida, Phoenix and Dallas.

*The Oilers are looking at adding a D-man and the Flyers and Leafs are looking at subtracting a D-man. Look for Coburn's name to surface again, although I believe the Oilers will look more to Toronto because the Flyers asking price for Coburn is a bit higher than Edmonton is willing to go.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Laughton's play was very tentative and he looked a step behind the play, although 5 games is probably not enough time to give a fair assessment. Perhaps "way overmatched" was excessive, but he certainly didn't seem like he belonged and clearly could have used more seasoning. The Flyers did the right thing in returning him to Juniors.

But, I definitely agree with you that Laughton has much more upside, and I would love for him to come into camp and TAKE the job.

i agree w/ pretty much everything in this post.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From hockeybuzz, so take it for what it's worth:

*The interest surrounding Dan Cleary is definitely escalating and with good reason. Besides interest from Philly, I have heard Buffalo, Florida, Phoenix and Dallas.

*The Oilers are looking at adding a D-man and the Flyers and Leafs are looking at subtracting a D-man. Look for Coburn's name to surface again, although I believe the Oilers will look more to Toronto because the Flyers asking price for Coburn is a bit higher than Edmonton is willing to go.

i doubt the flyers have any interest in cleary.. they already have talbot, couturier, read, hall, rosehill, mcginn, rinaldo, laughton, straka, and raffl (10 guys) battling for a top 6 spot, why do they need to add another?

i wouldn't be surprised on the 2nd one though.. they need to move someone, and if they want to get any value in return, i think it's coburn that gets moved

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty strange. I was actually thinking "Wow, it has been 4 years since the '5000 post' thread on ESPN" yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.