• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The NBA rookies Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not an identical situation but Blake Griffin missed his first year due to injury. Came back the next year, had a great year, and won ROY over John Wall. In fact, Griffin was a unanimous winner so nobody officially protested his extra year in the NBA.

Forgot about him. I remember Julius Randle broke his leg in the first few minutes of his first NBA game and wasn't eligible for RoY his second season because he had technically played in a regular season game.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You haven't heard that because, as you said yourself, it's a unique situation.

Look, I get that you love Simmons, he looks to be a special player and that you want his accomplishments to be completely "clean" (for lack of a better word), but let's not pretend that there isn't an advantage to him sitting out last year.

Even if he didn't truly start practicing with the team until January, that's still more practice with NBA coaches, his teammates, etc. than Kuzma got.

And yes, being with the team is inherently superior because, at the very least, he is learning their system and how his teammates play. That alone is a nice advantage that helps him to hit the ground running, so to speak, when he did start playing with them.

I seriously question how whether it is an advantage at all and if it is, it is a pretty minor one.

There is no substitute for playing competitive matches.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Forgot about him. I remember Julius Randle broke his leg in the first few minutes of his first NBA game and wasn't eligible for RoY his second season because he had technically played in a regular season game.

Which I think is a pretty silly rule. MLB has a minimum games played mechanism which makes more sense.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not an identical situation but Blake Griffin missed his first year due to injury. Came back the next year, had a great year, and won ROY over John Wall. In fact, Griffin was a unanimous winner so nobody officially protested his extra year in the NBA.

I mean I'm not protesting it but i still think blake situation was a bit different. If i recall,didn't he have major knee surgery. Don't believe he ever practiced with the clippers that year....could be wrong

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Send to ben simmons email address

Simmons is a little cocky, if that was your implication, but he is the best rookie. I do think he could have showed a little class in how he responded but the dude is only 21 or 22.

Mitchell is an amazing story in 2018

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which I think is a pretty silly rule. MLB has a minimum games played mechanism which makes more sense.

Yeah, I was a little surprised that it was the rule. Having said that though, and to be fair, in MLB a guy can be called up to the minors for a few games or at the very end of the season with the September call ups. That doesn't happen a whole lot in the NBA and the guys involved are typically 10 day contract/2 way guys who were never going to be in the RoY convo anyway.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Page 10 - Redrafting the 2017 NBA Draft Class

Anyone who feels Mitchell is not getting noticed should take a look at this redraft of 2017...............

lol When I clicked on the article, it took me to the last page. I saw they had the Lakers taking someone else (Malik Monk?) at 27 and I thought..."Why would the Lakers not still take him a 27?"

Then I clicked through and saw they had the Celtics taking him at #3.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If shootarounds is all it was, you would have a point. He was actually practicing with them and competing with them in those practices.

Here's a comparison for you, I'll use Kuzma (since you mentioned him) and Simmons:

Simmons spent last year being coached by NBA coaches and playing with NBA players on the team he was going to be playing for. He also had access to NBA trainers, meals, etc. He had this 24/7 with no distractions. He was also was learning the Sixers system and how his teammates played. So he started this season already knowing the Sixers system and being familiar with his teammates.

Kuzma spent that time being coached by college coaches with the limits that the NCAA places on when and how long that can happen, playing against college players (the vast majority of whom won't even play professionally overseas, let alone the NBA), having access to college trainers and meals (which aren't bad, but not NBA quality) and going to class so he could stay eligible for all of that. Then he came to the NBA where he had to learn a new system and teammates.

I'm not saying Simmons shouldn't qualify, or that he doesn't deserve the award over Kuzma or anyone else. But let's not pretend there isn't an advantage for Simmons.
Damn, I'm so happy I learned to go back at least on page before I type a dissertation.

Trainers, Travel, Nutritionist, Settled Personal life, Coaching, Learning to be a pro while handling a financial windfall are clear advantages for a so called redshirt Rookie.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol When I clicked on the article, it took me to the last page. I saw they had the Lakers taking someone else (Malik Monk?) at 27 and I thought..."Why would the Lakers not still take him a 27?"

Then I clicked through and saw they had the Celtics taking him at #3.
Damn, that's a " L" for the Lakers.

Monk has had exactly 1 good game in the NBA.

...and it was 2 days ago.....lol

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These are all opinions. You have yours. I have mine.
Yep.

I personally see it as an advantage.

But, the rules say Ben is eligible.

If he's eligible, he should win.

But, I can see the merits of having Rookie of the Year and New Comer of the year.

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean I'm not protesting it but i still think blake situation was a bit different. If i recall,didn't he have major knee surgery. Don't believe he ever practiced with the clippers that year....could be wrong

He certainly practiced before his injury.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem really. Griffin was injured and there wasn't much chance of return.

Simmons was injured and likely could have returned but the team decided to shelve him instead. It had the same practical effect but people assume that Simmons was actually getting more practice time because he wasn't completely injured still.

The fact that people tend to call his situation red shirting isn't terribly helpful either because it implies that they simply sat him to skip the season which isn't accurate.
He could have come back towards the end, I believe.

But why?

Embiid and Noel where both hurt.

So, why risk it?

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I vote against the re-draft. lol

I don’t know. I might take Tatum/Monk over Ball/Kuzma. More upside with Tatum/Monk, though not as much production in the short term.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have come back towards the end, I believe.

But why?

Embiid and Noel where both hurt.

So, why risk it?

Of course there was no reason to do it. Especially if there was a chance he could reinjure his metatarsal.