• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The impact of no fans (or limited capacity) on NFL games

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will matter. Mostly because there won't be games this fall.
i keep thinking this same thing. its a nice try to push it, but i think ultimately the nba and maybe nhl survive this weird season. NFL and MLB are dead in the water i think, college football too.

gonna screw up a lot of kids and players futures too.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't work. You can draw it up on paper all you want but there will be a bottleneck of fans somewhere if you allow 10-20,000 into a stadium. People are too stupid and impatient to follow rules.

Security could scan and remove people that don't comply. I agree there would be issues but even if they do let fans it, it will be assigned seats.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Security could scan and remove people that don't comply. I agree there would be issues but even if they do let fans it, it will be assigned seats.
Even if you have assigned entrance times into the stadium there will be a mob of people waiting for their turn or leaving if the game is close until the end. It's just not going to work and no amount of planning will make it work because the people just won't follow the rules (most will of course, but you need all to). I think you'd have to be down around 5% capacity, maybe 10%? At that point I'm guessing it may be better to just keep fans out. My plan was the one fan per section rule. How awesome would it be to have your own section? Bring a sign. Talk shit with the guy one section over...

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't work. You can draw it up on paper all you want but there will be a bottleneck of fans somewhere if you allow 10-20,000 into a stadium. People are too stupid and impatient to follow rules.
This. Also, the bigger risk seems to be 250-300 lb players sweating, spitting and rubbing germs all over each other. How do you avoid that? Make it like flag football?

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if you have assigned entrance times into the stadium there will be a mob of people waiting for their turn or leaving if the game is close until the end. It's just not going to work and no amount of planning will make it work because the people just won't follow the rules (most will of course, but you need all to). I think you'd have to be down around 5% capacity, maybe 10%? At that point I'm guessing it may be better to just keep fans out. My plan was the one fan per section rule. How awesome would it be to have your own section? Bring a sign. Talk shit with the guy one section over...

Or just build a jail in the basement of the stadium for those who don't behave and follow the rules.....Could you imagine a stadium having that? Oh wait....

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This gives the Colts a clear advantage for obvious reasons.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it will matter. Mostly because there won't be games this fall.

I would bet some money the NFL will happen.

As far as crowd noise, I think they are going to pump some fake crowd noise in

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet some money the NFL will happen.

As far as crowd noise, I think they are going to pump some fake crowd noise in
the NFL is easier as you carry 53 men on a roster. guy tests positive game day, he has a replacement. 2-3 deep. not so much in other sports. this is why the NFL has a decent shot IMO, not as much as leagues in their bubbles tho. baseball is doomed IMO.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the NFL is easier as you carry 53 men on a roster. guy tests positive game day, he has a replacement. 2-3 deep. not so much in other sports. this is why the NFL has a decent shot IMO, not as much as leagues in their bubbles tho. baseball is doomed IMO.

For baseball, though, don't they have positions 5-10 deep when including the minors? Have they made plans to expand the normal 40 man roster so if a team loses their 2B, they can just call someone up the next day?

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if one guy tests positive on the team, what are the chances everybody in his position group are also positive? These guys spend too much time together not to pass it around should one get it.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thought occurred to me today, what impact will no fans (or limited fans) at games have?

My take:

1 - false start penalties will be cut in half, minimum (no fan noise).
2 - there will be no need for silent counts, see point 1.
3 - speaking to the above, we may see a more resourceful use of timeouts vs the "I cant hear shit right now" timeouts.
4 - speaking to points 1-3, will teams be allowed to pump in fan noise legally (looking at you , Colts) to account for what is, at the end of the day, a critical component to game outcomes? I think this may be an issue.
5 - 4th and goal, on the 3, team down by 6 has the ball.

and its nearly dead silent. how does this impact the game?
1. I tend to agree here.
2. I'd still imagine we see the silent count on some short yardage situations to give some element of surprise.
3. Tend to agree again.
4. It's worked so far in baseball so I'd bet the NFL does something similar with regulations.
5. Depends on what crowd noise can pump in for that first and foremost. But yeah that's going to be really weird without it.

steelerssb

Once banned on CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 297.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For baseball, though, don't they have positions 5-10 deep when including the minors? Have they made plans to expand the normal 40 man roster so if a team loses their 2B, they can just call someone up the next day?
There's a taxi squad that's kept at what I'd guess is the nearest minor league affiliate. There's an expanded roster (to 30 I think) to compensate for that anyway.

Rock Strongo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
game day, rays/sox.

rays starting infield tests positive on game day, as does the sox SP.

what do the teams do?

Durhams in NC, game starts in 2 hrs. Sox affiliate is in RI, a bit closer. and...

go.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you all think it would be impossible to have fans if they play which I don't think they should.

1. Sell limited amounts of tickets which would allow social distancing. Priority to season ticket holders.
2. Section off seats so they are 6 feet apart all the way around.
3. Social distancing markers on all floors, bathrooms, concession areas, entrances etc.
4. Sectioned departures over announced over loud speakers.
5. Mask requirements.
6. Temp Checks
7. Limit concession items to the minimum and use runners as much as possible.

It seems this may be possible.
Yikes! That's a stay at home and watch it on the tube strategy! They'd better drop the prices to 20 bucks and a free slice of pizza.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the thought occurred to me today, what impact will no fans (or limited fans) at games have?

My take:

1 - false start penalties will be cut in half, minimum (no fan noise).
2 - there will be no need for silent counts, see point 1.
3 - speaking to the above, we may see a more resourceful use of timeouts vs the "I cant hear shit right now" timeouts.
4 - speaking to points 1-3, will teams be allowed to pump in fan noise legally (looking at you , Colts) to account for what is, at the end of the day, a critical component to game outcomes? I think this may be an issue.
5 - 4th and goal, on the 3, team down by 6 has the ball.

and its nearly dead silent. how does this impact the game?

Since the Jets and Giants won't have fans, they will be less embaressed

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if one guy tests positive on the team, what are the chances everybody in his position group are also positive? These guys spend too much time together not to pass it around should one get it.
Not that simple. Unless you control all health protocols for players, coaches, staff, etc. There are Apps which do all this already. But most of all it depends on the people involved. You need a tracing and tracking system that people respect, and input truthful information to the database. Bluetooth among mobile phones takes care of the rest.

Dude

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
game day, rays/sox.

rays starting infield tests positive on game day, as does the sox SP.

what do the teams do?

Durhams in NC, game starts in 2 hrs. Sox affiliate is in RI, a bit closer. and...

go.
I’m watching a MLB game right now. So somehow they’ve started playing. In a completely empty stadium.