• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Dodgers brutal offseason ends.....kind of......

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it's been a brutal offseason this winter in Los Angeles but it came to a halt Wednesday......sort of.

"The Los Angeles Dodgers have signed veteran left-hander Scott Kazmir to a three-year deal, the team announced Wednesday.

A source confirmed to ESPN's Buster Olney that the deal is for three years and $48 million and contains an opt-out after the first year.

The Dodgers had a void to fill in their rotation after losing right-hander Zack Greinke in free agency. Greinke signed with the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Kazmir, 31, was traded to the Houston Astros in July amid his second season with the A's, having continued to reinvent himself and return to his status as one of baseball's most reliable arms. Kazmir finished the season 7-11 with a 3.10 ERA and 1.21 WHIP. In his one postseason start for Houston, he allowed three earned runs in 5 1/3 innings on five hits and a walk in the ALDS against the Royals."

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They over-paid but they have an out after just 1 season......I like it. He could be a solid #2 behind Kershaw.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've posted my in depth thoughts elsewhere, but I will say I like this signing.

oh hell: I'm cool with the Kazmir signing, he's pretty decent with some upside, pretty reasonable contract too for the team and for the player with the opt out clause after the 1 year in there. If he has a good one season and leaves that's fine with me as he bridged a gap for the younger pitchers and we get a pick out of it, if he has a meh season and stay that's fine too cause a 3 year contract isn't a killer and Kazmir at worst is back end worthy probably.

So now about the whole five lefties thing... I have a feeling this is still going to be addressed, while I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing, I think it's going to change. And with Kazmir possibly only providing one season and next year's pitching market thin, they'll still be in on a Maeda or trade for a controlled arm.

Fine signing though, IMO. Let's see what happens next...

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kazmir and Maeda? Not too shabby. Team needs some bats still

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offseason still isn't over. Still a lot that can happen.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Dodgers signed another pitcher and made two (small-ish) trades today. So much for the offseason being over, right? :tongue:

Opening Day isn't here yet. Take a look at the organization right now. This 40-man is practically overflowing with middle-to-back-of-the-rotation quality arms, both in the bigs and in the minors (as in, capable of being MLB-average right now). As this Front Office continues to stockpile depth, these guys are becoming increasingly trade-able from the Dodgers' point of view.

Mike Bolsinger and Zach Lee, especially. I'm sure there are plenty of teams who wouldn't be remiss to have either of those guys at the back of their MLB rotation on Opening Day. To the Dodgers, they're merely the first ones up for an injury.

In other words, the Dodgers still have lots of pieces to work with to make a trade. They still want to trade Ethier and/or Crawford. They still need to do something about Alex Guerrero, too. There are lots of spots with the potential for improvement so don't be surprised if there's another noteworthy trade or two this winter.

:suds:

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt the Dodgers are done. The FO never fails to surprise.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Kazmir contract is looking especially amazing after seeing Ian Kennedy, who's had worse production the last 3 seasons and is only 11 months younger get a 5/$70M contract in KC.

And obviously the Maeda deal looks great for the team.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Kazmir contract is looking especially amazing after seeing Ian Kennedy, who's had worse production the last 3 seasons and is only 11 months younger get a 5/$70M contract in KC.

And obviously the Maeda deal looks great for the team.
Kennedy also cost the Royals a draft pick.