• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Cautionary Tale of Luke Schenn

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that most of us...me included....have at least once in the last two seasons asked "Why are we watching these stiffs? Why didn't the Flyers keep/bring up Morin, or Hagg, or Alt or..." whomever. Well, last night as I couldn't sleep I realized the why.

Luke Schenn

Luke Schenn was a more highly thought of prospect than ANY of the Flyers current defensive prospects when he was drafted. He was going to be the next Adam Foote (or so someone at Hockey Digest thought). He was rushed to the NHL as an 18/19 year old when he still had to mature as a player. Physically he was ready but his skill set was not. Now, as we have all noted, Schenn is a capable 4/5/6 when paired with the right partner. He never progressed beyond the fundamental skill set he came into the league with and he still is prone to the mistakes he made as a rookie. Has he improved? Yes. Will he ever be the next Adam Foote? no. He might be the next Luke Richardson, but even that is a pale comparison to what his potential promised. Why? Because the Maple Leafs were so desperate that they rushed him to the NHL when he wasn't ready. There was never a time when he was actually tasked with simply rounding out his game and not falling back on raw skill and physical ability. That is what that extra season in the minors and a year or two in the AHL will do.

Before you ask, or interject, yes, Ghost is ahead of schedule...or not...he played college hockey and is older than Schenn was and Morin is. He is a more complete player now (outside of his unique skill set) than Schenn was as a rookie...and some may argue now. His unique skating ability and ability to quickly adapt to what is happening through the course of the game have allowed him to rapidly progress. He is the exception to the rule.

I am sure that between now and the deadline I will be throwing things at the TV and yelling and wanting the Flyers to bring up the kids and at least loose young....and then sanity will return and I will remember the cautionary tale of Luke Schenn....and I will wait.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fortunately Hextall's thinking is in line with how to properly develop kids. No prospect is going to be gifted a spot early on. Hell, we aren't positive that Ghost is even going to stay around when Streit gets back.

chy1127

Peace & Love, Peace & Luv
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids cant get a shot at the NHL level as we have ZERO cap space. As ff4706 noted above, when Streit comes back we don't have the space for Ghost. Sending Manning down won't create enough space. Laughton is the only one on the team that wont go through waivers and creates enough space. Look for L. Schenn, Gagner and maybe Schultz to go at the trade deadline. Maybe we get to see Hagg at that point.