• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Biggest Losers of a (likely) Nixed NBA Season

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooden had to essentially build a program and he had to recruit those players to come play at UCLA, who was far from a national power at the time.

So, not only was Wooden a better coach, he was also a better recruiter.

And Larry Brown coached at both UCLA and Kansas...programs that aren't exactly known for being devoid of talent.

I choose to only pay attention to Wooden's coaching numbers from 1947 through 1963. :heh:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooden had to essentially build a program and he had to recruit those players to come play at UCLA, who was far from a national power at the time.

Also Larry Brown coached at both UCLA and Kansas...programs that aren't exactly known for being devoid of talent.
Wooden and Coach K are the best college coaches ever. Pop is the best pro coach ever. Brown is best overall, winning everywhere he went on both levels without all time great talent for the most part.

These are of course opinions, you have yours and I have mine. It's no big deal if mine are right

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have him on your Mount Rushmore of NBA & CBB coaches?
He's on the NBA one. And as an overall coach in terms of actual skill getting players to play beyond their potential he's alone on top.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's on the NBA one. And as an overall coach in terms of actual skill getting players to play beyond their potential he's alone on top.

What are you Mount Rushmore's of NBA & CBB?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wooden and Coach K are the best college coaches ever. Pop is the best pro coach ever. Brown is best overall, winning everywhere he went on both levels without all time great talent for the most part.

These are of course opinions, you have yours and I have mine. It's no big deal if mine are right

I'd actually agree with that assessment. We have no idea if Wooden would have succeeded in the NBA because he never coached there. Same with Coach K.

With Brown, you can't really say he was as good as Wooden or Coach K (at the college level), because he didn't have near as much time coaching in college as they did. But he did manage to get UCLA to a finals game and won a title with Kansas.

From his record in college, I'd assume he'd have ended up in the convo with those 2 had he stayed.

Last edited:

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you Mount Rushmore's of NBA & CBB?
Coaches...

Brown, Pop, Jackson, Riley

Coach K, Wooden, Dean Smith, then I guess one of Izzo, Roy Williams, Pitino, Bobby Knight, someone like that

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches...

Coach K, Wooden, Dean Smith, then I guess one of Izzo, Roy Williams, Pitino, Bobby Knight, someone like that

Auerbach
Pop
Jackson
Tyronn Lue

Wooden
Smith
Kruzawooooski
Williams

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot Tyronn Lue. He's the actual GOAT

Lue doesn't get enough credit for helping bring that city its only championship of the the last 50+ years. I think his relative small size and youth are factors in that. Those sideline huddles looked hilarious. If he were Shaq or Barkley, it would be different.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being stepped over by Iverson?

I feel a little bit for Ty Lue. He was basically an average role player during his playing career. Based on that, the only thing he should be remembered for is winning a title as a head coach.

Instead, Lebron gets the credit for the title and he gets remembered as the guy Iverson stepped over. lol

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also Larry Brown coached at both UCLA and Kansas...programs that aren't exactly known for being devoid of talent.
Good points.....and I agree Wooden must have been an exceptional recruiter. Phillip not on his level as West and Krause were his recruiters.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches...

Might be inclined to make Izzo the 4th as seems like he did more with less than the other guys.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lue doesn't get enough credit for helping bring that city its only championship of the the last 50+ years. I think his relative small size and youth are factors in that. Those sideline huddles looked hilarious. If he were Shaq or Barkley, it would be different.
and while he definitely owes Lebron a ton for his success here, the idea he pandered to him is absurd. He would rip Lebron in film sessions and he ripped him at the half of Game 7 and told him to get his ass in the game.