• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Literally nobody thinks Jokic is a high level defender.

If anything, voters don’t understand the metrics.

But even then, without the advanced stats, the simple stats, the team record and everything else looks pretty good for the Joker.

Especially coming off a title.

I agree the voting should not have been so lopsided. That is crazy.

But people saying Joker is not deserving is crazier than a lopsided vote IMO.
No, he was only tenth in points. Didn't lead anything. Not even wins.

Now you will make something up...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see next year but the result of this vote tells me you have at least a 3rd of voters who won't come off Jokic as their top guy.
True, they are too committed to their fake stats.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you

I can't believe so many of us aren't offended by this.

Maybe Jokic shoves it up my ass and goes out and wins a 2nd title this year. And if he does my tone changes. And YES I KNOW it's a regular season award

But come on man. How are more people not bothered at this man entering the list of elite elites at this stage.
This is because the nba has descended into meaningless time waster territory.

Most people don't care and the trolls that pretend to care like the fake and gay stats.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he was only tenth in points. Didn't lead anything. Not even wins.

Now you will make something up...

Never made anything up. You will see. Embiid wont be top 2 in MVP voting again.

And Joker is top 10 in the 3 biggest stats we have. Any other players do that?

You are such a clown

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never made anything up. You will see. Embiid wont be top 2 in MVP voting again.

And Joker is top 10 in the 3 biggest stats we have. Any other players do that?

You are such a clown
I called you a clown first. Try to keep up.

Right, he's about the 5th to 10th best player in the league. Never been better than that. Never MVP level, but dorks like you have handed him 3.

It's hilarious you think Embiid should have four MVPs just for staying healthy.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a point guard. He's a center. Points, boards and defense. For a point guard its points, assists and defense.

If he was the best scorer, he'd lead the league in scoring. Luka lead the league in scoring.

Laughable argument. The fact that a center is getting premium point guard levels of assists in addition to strong center stats is exactly why he keeps winning the MVP.

Luka lead the league in scoring because of usage rate and the increased number of touches and shots that brings. Luka led the league in usage rate by a sizable almost 10% margin over 2nd (Giannis). The next 13 guys are separated in total by that approximate margin between 1st and 2nd. He's getting that usage even with Kyrie playing next to him that needs the ball in his hands as well (and that inequity may be a sizable reason why they weren't a higher seed).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. Some of this dude's statements make it clear he's not arguing from any basis in reality. Just throwing noise at the wall to see what sticks. Really noisy.

Sure, must be why Jokic has won the MVP 3 out of 4 years, my stumping for him lol.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Laughable argument. The fact that a center is getting premium point guard levels of assists in addition to strong center stats is exactly why he keeps winning the MVP.

Luka lead the league in scoring because of usage rate and the increased number of touches and shots that brings. Luka led the league in usage rate by a sizable almost 10% margin over 2nd (Giannis). The next 13 guys are separated in total by that approximate margin between 1st and 2nd. He's getting that usage even with Kyrie playing next to him that needs the ball in his hands as well (and that inequity may be a sizable reason why they weren't a higher seed).
Right, Luka is used the most because he is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER in the league.

Glad you are on the path to figuring it out.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, must be why Jokic has won the MVP 3 out of 4 years, my stumping for him lol.
No, you are just making noise. Lame stats with your made up theories about them.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting fired after 1 season is pretty fucking brutal.

Now THAT firing was largely due to a star player. Durant didn't like playing for him. That and the new Suns owner not wanting to trade any of this 3 most expensive players.

Vogel isn't great, but that's two teams that left a defensive coach without any defenders then fired him for underperforming. He may not be interested, but I'd like to see him brought in as an assistant to whichever candidate the Lakers choose for head coach. That defensive acumen is valuable.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, Luka is used the most because he is the MOST VALUABLE PLAYER in the league.

Glad you are on the path to figuring it out.

Really? I don't see any MVPs on his record. Interesting.

If this is all about stats, wouldn't he automatically win for simple counting stats? Context isn't important, right?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's ask it a 7th time

Does anyone on this board think Nikola Jokic deserves to be the highest rated defensive center from an analytics standpoint

If your answer is yes you are a fucking moron.

Of course not. That is however a stat that he continues to lead the league in, so I included it.

You know who else isn't the best defensive center? Rudy Gobert.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've yet to say he doesn't deserve to be in the discussion. He plays a damn near perfect brand of basketball for this era on the offensive end. His impact on the court cannot be questioned on that end.

What I'm challenging is voters being so simple minded to go "oh wow...AND he's the best defender too?"

There is no other logical explanation for him running away with this award other than people simply looking at VORP or BPM. Because there is no other reason for the titanic shift in voting patterns that shafted Lebron. Lebron has not won an MVP since Obamas first term.

...or they could be watching the games and the results? Hmmmm

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Disagree. Like @msgkings322 you’re a baseball guy. You know first hand the grip analytics has on sports. Every single season Jokic will be in the mix because of the huge gaps he amasses in those metrics. He broke the system.

...because he's a unicorn. He's just not pretty, athletically flashy unicorn you're used to seeing referenced as a unicorn. The closest comp may be what we would've seen if Arvydas Sabonis had played in the NBA in his prime, not just his broken down years.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I don't see any MVPs on his record. Interesting.

If this is all about stats, wouldn't he automatically win for simple counting stats? Context isn't important, right?
It is all about stats…analytical stats. It is what it is. Jokic is here at the right time in sports. He’s a unicorn according to the advanced stats. Even the holes in his game are rewarded by the analytics. He’s a cheat code that’s broken the metric. That’s why he’s won 3 of the last 4. Meanwhile, 2 of the 3 MVP presentations will take place on his horse farm because by the time it came around to present him the award he will be out of playoff home games.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...because he's a unicorn. He's just not pretty, athletically flashy unicorn you're used to seeing referenced as a unicorn. The closest comp may be what we would've seen if Arvydas Sabonis had played in the NBA in his prime, not just his broken down years.
Analytics have him as one of the best defenders of all time. Does that pass the smell test for you?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We will see next year but the result of this vote tells me you have at least a 3rd of voters who won't come off Jokic as their top guy.

Or, those voters that wouldn't chose Jokic were split between two similar candidates. Shai and Luka had very similar voting totals, almost completely splitting the 2 and 3 votes. Luka has always been lurking, but Shai emerging like this in his 6th season threw a monkey wrench into the voting and increased that victory margin for Jokic.