• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4 of those coaches absolutely deserved it no question.

I don't know about 4. Byron and D'Antoni for sure. Not sure why D'Antoni even took the job...he never acted like he even wanted it. Could maybe say Vogel deserved it because, even though he told them not to get Westbrook, it was his job to coach him and try to make it work, but didn't.

Don't remember enough about Brown to say. I don't think Luke deserved it, he was hired to grow along with the young roster, but then they pivoted to Lebron. I don't think Ham deserved it. Don't know if he was the answer, but he wasn't the problem.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know about 4. Byron and D'Antoni for sure. Not sure why D'Antoni even took the job...he never acted like he even wanted it. Could maybe say Vogel deserved it because, even though he told them not to get Westbrook, it was his job to coach him and try to make it work, but didn't.

Don't remember enough about Brown to say. I don't think Luke deserved it, he was hired to grow along with the young roster, but then they pivoted to Lebron. I don't think Ham deserved it. Don't know if he was the answer, but he wasn't the problem.

Who's the problem

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's the problem

Injuries were the biggest problem. The main core guys were all healthy (Lebron, AD, Reaves and D-Lo)...but several of rotational players were in and out of the lineup. Vincent and Vando were barely there all season, Wood missed quite a few games and wasn't available for the Denver series (neither was Vando).

The front office is responsible too. They hired a coach with no HC experience, didn't support him and expected him to be Phil Jackson. If the players stopped listening to the coach, it's because they knew the front office wasn't supporting him. Also, if they didn't fuck things up when they had Lue all but hired...we're likely not having this convo. Other than the Westbrook debacle, I've mostly liked Pelinkas roster moves...but his supporting of his coaching hires has not worked. Might be time to look at letting him go...I hear Bob Myers is available.

The players were also the problem. AD's "we don't always know what we're doing" comment was bullshit. You can't tell me that vets like he and Lebron don't know what to do. Folks say the players stopped listening and doing what they wanted. If true...considering how they closed games vs. Denver...maybe they should have listened?

You don't get to reportedly stop listening to your coach and then blame him when you fail.

Last edited:

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuries were the biggest problem. The main core guys were all healthy (Lebron, AD, Reaves and D-Lo)...but several of rotational players were in and out of the lineup. Vincent and Vando were barely there all season, Wood missed quite a few games and wasn't available for the Denver series (neither was Vando).

The front office is responsible too. They hired a coach with no HC experience, didn't support him and expected him to be Phil Jackson. If the players stopped listening to the coach, it's because they knew the front office wasn't supporting him. Also, if they didn't fuck things up when they had Lue all but hired...we're likely not having this convo. Other than the Westbrook debacle, I've mostly liked Pelinkas roster moves...but his supporting of his coaching hires has not worked. Might be time to look at letting him go...I hear Bob Myers is available.

The players were also the problem. AD's "we don't always know what we're doing" comment was bullshit. You can't tell me that vets like he and Lebron don't know what to do. Folks say the players stopped listening and doing what they wanted. If true...considering how they closed games vs. Denver...maybe they should have listened?

You don't get to reportedly stop listening to your coach and then blame him when you fail.

I can dig it

But like you said they needed a vet coach for a vet team. Ham was a bad fit

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shut up, stupid
My stupidity shined again last night. What I say about superstars, particularly Keyrie, if they put the game first , they could not be stopped. Even the way he dressed for last nights game. He may have finally woke up.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can dig it

But like you said they needed a vet coach for a vet team. Ham was a bad fit

Even more than a vet coach (which I agree with)...they need to hire a guy, support him publicly and stick with him for more than 2 years.

As I've mentioned before, the Heat hired Spo as a guy with no HC experience to coach what was essentially an All-Star team. Some players and fans started bitching and Riley shut that shit down with the quickness. That's how you support a coach.

Not saying Ham would become Spo, but if the Heat handled Spo the way the Lakers handled Ham (and a couple of others)...Spo wouldn't have become Spo.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even more than a vet coach (which I agree with)...they need to hire a guy, support him publicly and stick with him for more than 2 years.

As I've mentioned before, the Heat hired Spo as a guy with no HC experience to coach what was essentially an All-Star team. Some players and fans started bitching and Riley shut that shit down with the quickness. That's how you support a coach.

Not saying Ham would become Spo, but if the Heat handled Spo the way the Lakers handled Ham (and a couple of others)...Spo wouldn't have become Spo.

It doesn’t matter.

So few coaches are special enough to deserve that long a rope.

Darvin Ham has shown absolutely nothing indicating that he is a special coach.

So move on.

And let somebody else take a shot on him.

• Bullseye
Reactions: DJ

Pastafazul

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn’t matter.

So move on.

And somehow you defended Fizdale who showed absolutely nothing special with the Knicks …

Yea, I know, you never said anything like that ….

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It doesn’t matter.

So move on.

I agree to a point.

The Heat obviously felt that they saw something in Spo and they were obviously right.

But early on, when he was learning and players, fans and media were calling for his head...if the Heat don't support him, he may not get a chance to show he's special.

Generally speaking, when it's time to move on, it's better to do it sooner rather than later.

This is now 6 coaches in a row that they've had to move on quickly from.

The Lakers never backed any of them when the criticism started.

By backing them publicly, you quiet everything down. If you still need to move on...fine. At least you're moving on having given them a fair chance.

Also, as I've pointed out, when you handle things the way the Lakers have, coaches with choices, aren't likely to choose you.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if James Harden is gonna demand a trade from the Clippers either during the offseason or midseason like he usually does next year.
All he cares about is an extension, that and what he does after the games.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Beverly doing his best impersonation of someone who really wants to be blackballed from the NBA.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Patrick Beverly doing his best impersonation of someone who really wants to be blackballed from the NBA.
He can play for me any day. I have zero fucks to give about how he treats a reporter. He brings a toughness and an attitude. If my Sixers had that toughness and attitude they’d be preparing to play the Pacers.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I think it’s time to acknowledge that the problem is the people hiring and firing coaches, so the organization. Truly can’t be argued any different.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can play for me any day. I have zero fucks to give about how he treats a reporter. He brings a toughness and an attitude. If my Sixers had that toughness and attitude they’d be preparing to play the Pacers.
He just doesn’t do enough on the floor, even on a good day, to justify putting up with the crap.