• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good argument. I don’t remember anyone trying to tell MJ he was playing against watered down talent though. Stupid argument in my opinion.
Teams have more depth, sharpshooters. It is more difficult to play defense with shooters everywhere and more athletes. It isn’t a shot to the older generations, it’s just the pool is bigger with international players. The game wouldn’t be what it is today if it wasn’t for those older generations but it doesn’t mean their was more talent. That is simply not sure.

Try defending the 3 best shooters of all time when they are shooting 30 footers. Plus KD’s shot is unblockable. Now you have 7 foot bigs that can shoot and uber-athletic. There is no comparison

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure about that?

He was drafted in 1984. That was when the Showtime Lakers and Birds Celtics were at the height of their powers. He also caught every year of the Bad Boy Pistons. The Sixers were pretty stacked then too.

I agree that the league became watered down during his career...but he played against some of the best teams in history for the first 6 years of his career.
And then when the competition lessened he started winning rings.

Another point for Lebron he got to the finals in all stages. There's no question the league is more talented on more teams now than then. Where MJ has him beat is the gap between MJ and the next best/most important player at the time is greater than LeBron to whoever the #2 was (Curry, Kawhi, KD)

Another comparison is LeBron made his teammates better than Jordan made his, but Jordan was so singluar he didn't NEED that to win. The 3x Magic Johnson analogy for LeBron is apt, MJ has no analogue (3x better Kobe I guess)

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams have more depth, sharpshooters. It is more difficult to play defense with shooters everywhere and more athletes. It isn’t a shot to the older generations, it’s just the pool is bigger with international players. The game wouldn’t be what it is today if it wasn’t for those older generations but it doesn’t mean their was more talent. That is simply not sure.

Try defending the 3 best shooters of all time when they are shooting 30 footers. Plus KD’s shot is unblockable. Now you have 7 foot bigs that can shoot and uber-athletic. There is no comparison
Humans get better at things over time and that is provably true in sports

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure about that?

He was drafted in 1984. That was when the Showtime Lakers and Birds Celtics were at the height of their powers. He also caught every year of the Bad Boy Pistons. The Sixers were pretty stacked then too.

I agree that the league became watered down during his career...but he played against some of the best teams in history for the first 6 years of his career.

Yes, I am sure.

The Bulls weren’t championship caliber when the Celtics and Lakers were at their peak.

So it almost doesn’t matter.

The Pistons?

The Bulls were starting to get close at that time.

And the Pistons were very good.

But also very overrated in history of all time great teams IMO. And we’re getting old and worn down by the time the Bulls actually beat them.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure about that?

And he lost most of them lol

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I am sure.

The Bulls weren’t championship caliber when the Celtics and Lakers were at their peak.

The Pistons?

But also very overrated in history of all time great teams IMO. And we’re getting old and worn down by the time the Bulls actually beat them.

Overrated? They were a shit call away from a 3 peat.

It was a relatively short era of high achievement though i guess. 5 years basically.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Overrated? They were a shit call away from a 3 peat.

It was a relatively short era of high achievement though i guess. 5 years basically.

They were good.

They don’t stack up to other all time great teams though, IMO.

Think there are teams from other eras that didn’t win who were as good or better.

And they were also fully dependent on playing by their eras rules where I think a lot of other great teams would be able to adapt.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They were good.

They don’t stack up to other all time great teams though, IMO.

Think there are teams from other eras that didn’t win who were as good or better.

And they were also fully dependent on playing by their eras rules where I think a lot of other great teams would be able to adapt.

Definitely agree they maximized their success due to the window they played in.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, I am sure.

The Pistons?

Wasn't the point. You said the league was watered down. It became watered down when it expanded, but not when he entered the league. As I said, during his first 6 years, he played against some of the best teams in history. whether or not the team he was on was a contender doesn't change the fact that he played them.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the point.

It kinda runs tangent to this discussion. The Bulls started realizing more success as the league added 6 more teams and the powerhouses of the 80s faded out.

I'm certainly not saying it diminishes MJ in any real way just that his status isn't so ungodly as some would have it.

I challenge you to look at the 96 to 98 teams and give me a list of teams that would be top 5 today besides the Bulls.

Maybe the Jazz?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kinda runs tangent to this discussion. The Bulls started realizing more success as the league added 6 more teams and the powerhouses of the 80s faded out.

I'm certainly not saying it diminishes MJ in any real way just that his status isn't so ungodly as some would have it.

I challenge you to look at the 96 to 98 teams and give me a list of teams that would be top 5 today besides the Bulls.

Maybe the Jazz?

I specifically said...the first 6 years of his career and also said that the league became watered down during his career.

96 to 98 has nothing to do with my point.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys think Coby White could have done what Maxey did last night?