• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 2023-2024 NBA Season

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s my state of the Sixers long post. If you don’t like it, well fuck you and just scroll on by.

So at the quarter pole of the season, I’m pleased with Nick Nurse ball. They have the best net rating in the league right now. The ball moves in this offense which if nothing else makes for more entertaining basketball for me to watch through a regular season. I love my guys but Harden/Embiid pick and roll pick and pop every time down the floor can become boring as fuck.

I see why everybody used to rave about Nurse and his defensive schemes. His team defensive rotations seem to be easy for the group to take to and based on recent comments, Nick only has about 50% of the package installed so far this season. Life is different when you actually have some long and athletic wings on the court.

Joel Embiid seemingly has quietly become the team’s best playmaker. He used to make guys better because of his gravity on the court attracting people to him. But this season he came in with a goal to be a playmaker. His 6.6 assists per game is easily a career high. Turnovers are up a tick from the past few years and he has to value the ball better. He’s starting to get that feel for when he should score and when he should facilitate now. He’s gotten much better at taking what the defense gives him. At the same time, this is still regular season Embiid. He won’t be able to actually prove shit until we get to the playoffs.

Maxey has taken a step forward again. He’s got to adjust to the physicality he’s being played with. League officials don’t believe he’s earned a fair whistle yet but he has to keep going to the hole. He needs to get better at drawing contact in such a way where he finishes and he gets calls. His work as the floor general is evolving. 6.7 assists per game to only 1.4 turnovers per game. He’s always going to score. He needs to take that next step where he’s aggressive for all 38-40 minutes he plays. His speed and Embiid’s size together in dribble hand off and flip action has been incredible putting pressure on the defense. Joel needs him to add better quality pick and roll pick and pop game. He’s not going to be a Harden level decision maker but he can be better with this. They need to unlock that Embiid elbow jumper Joel has made into a high percentage spot for him.

After a hot start, Tobias Harris is an enigma again. He’s become woefully inconsistent. When he’s going, he’s a really efficient third option. He’s gonna fuck around and get traded though if he doesn’t back to the 16 points on 9 shots a game guy.

The spare parts are finally presenting like a team that’s built for fit. Melton gives them a 40% three point shooter and solid perimeter D. Batum is a glue guy I’ve grown to love. Pat Bev is a great energy guy. I want RoCo to take Marcus Morris minutes. I want to see BBall Paul given more minutes alongside Embiid playing the dunker role. I don’t know why Jaden Springer’s been buried. It seems like every time Nick goes to him, he provides good minutes and he’s arguably the best on the ball defender they have. And Kelly Oubre gives them some needed scoring off the bench and he’s a better defensive piece than I gave him credit for.

The piece this team lacks is Caruso. He would be my number one target leading up to the deadline. I’m willing to send multiple first round picks to make it happen. The Sixers need one more wing with the ability to guard and they need secondary ball handling for Maxey off minutes and in the playoffs I think you need two ball handlers on the floor for much of the game. I think Melton is best off the bench because I don’t really love his handles. Caruso provides both things in one move. It’s a great contract and you still hold on to Harris 39 million in expiring contracts for this summer for them to shop and tweak again out of the playoffs seeing what this group needs more of. The recent reports on Lavine scare the fuck out of me. Dude is not a fit and it’s a horrible contract. I am thinking Lavine has a 10-15% of actually making the group better. That’s a low percentage swing on a guy you’re married to with the cap for the next three seasons after this one. LaVine addition fucks your whole promise of cap to spend this summer.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
picard too long didnt read GIF

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bro, we don't do dissertations on this site.

We are more the readers digest version or cliff's notes crowd.

With that being said, I read every word.....lol

I knew Maxey was going to be good.

But, not this good.

He is the unequivocal winner of the Harden trade.

Mook is indeed washed.

Clippers fans, yes we exist, has been clamoring for years about RoCo getting every last single one of his minutes for 2 years.

Nurse has been fantastic.

Biggest surprise for me?

Embiid's playmaking .

Most of it is out of necessity because there are no table setting guards on the roster.

Still.....

I was unaware that he was even CAPABLE of this.

Gotta say, FOR ME, it was the major difference between him and Joker.

Joel has the defense.

Joker controls every aspect of the offense.

Joel hasn't closed the gap completely.

But.....he is on his ass FOR ME.

Joker is the current king of big man passers.

Sabonis, Sengun and Embiid are fantastic too.

As for trade targets, Caruso is the most realistic.

A guy you have no shot at, but would be perfect?

Josh Hart.
I see your player with no shot and I raise you Mikal Bridges. Poor guy is rotting in Brooklyn. He’s not a Batman and I don’t know that acquiring Batman is on the horizon for the Nets. I would send 3 firsts, pick swaps, 3 seconds, BBall Paul, Jaden Springer, expiring contracts, take on another one of their pieces they want to shed, etc… to get Bridges in Philly. He is literally the perfect third piece for this group. But Nets won’t trade him for any reason.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@fightinfunbags

I know you don't want Zach.

But, what about Patrick Williams?

He is out of his clown ass mind to be asking for a contract in the mid 20's per.

But he can guard.

Dunno if the Nets would want to give you a missing piece...

But, Finney Smith and Royce Oneal might work too.

A shot in the dark pick?

Davion Mitchell in Sacto.

Undersized but is a DAWG.

Ultimate, yet unattainable, guys?

Mikal, OG, Hart, Dort...

.....also, keep an eye on Grant

Not the defender you seek.

.....also not long for Portland.

He's kind of uber Kelly Oubre for 25 times the cost.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I miss him being a Laker. Of all of those Lakers kids...he and Caruso were my 2 favorites.
The motors on those guys...bruh.

Let them get a few touches on offense and they will run thru a brick wall for you.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@fightinfunbags

I know you don't want Zach.

But, what about Patrick Williams?
Kind of torn here. If we were on a trade Tobias arc, I think he has a role but it looks like Harris will stay so they can do shit this summer. There’s no $40 million player on the market worth jumping on and giving up that cap opportunity
He is out of his clown ass mind to be asking for a contract in the mid 20's per.

But he can guard.

Dunno if the Nets would want to give you a missing piece...

But, Finney Smith and Royce Oneal might work too.
I like both and I think they are fits. I think it would cost one of the firsts to make it happen. They would need a second move though for my secondary ball handling I want.
A shot in the dark pick?

Davion Mitchell in Sacto.
I haven’t watched him a lot but I’m intrigued. He would fit the secondary ball handler but you give up size with Maxey being a small guard as well. Worry about guard post ups in playoffs in the half court if they need to count on him.
Undersized but is a DAWG.

Ultimate, yet unattainable, guys?

OG, Hart, Dort...
OG is the name in play here. Will cost a haul but I love the fit and I love the player. I don’t foresee them being able to get in on Dort. The Sixers can offer picks and expirings. I don’t think OKC is seeking any of that.
.....also, keep an eye on Grant

Not the defender you seek.

.....also not long for Portland.
Grant is interesting. I think he’s a fit but I hate the contract and wonder if he’s worth the commitment similar to Lavine.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The banner is for sure being "requested" by the NBA to continue to validate the tourney.
Did people not notice how forced it looked when all the talking heads tried to gaslight us in to believing the IST was just a step below winning a real championship?

Obviously, I'm being hyperbolic.

But they were selling way to hard.

This was strongly suggested by the league, at minimum.

Hoisting the banner in Lakerland is optimal advertisement.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did people not notice how forced it looked when all the talking heads tried to gaslight us in to believing the IST was just a step below winning a real championship?

Obviously, I'm being hyperbolic.

But they were selling way to hard.

This was strongly suggested by the league, at minimum.

Hoisting the banner in Lakerland is optimal advertisement.

Yep, and everyone knows the Lakers "we only hang NBA Championship banners" stance...so the league thinks it legitimizes it so that other teams will hang them when they win it.

Pretty much everyone has said that the IST has been a success. Imo, they should make some minor adjustments and let it be what it is...a fun thing they do early in the season to generate interest.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Explains why the Dubs are so reluctant to pull the plug.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the league thinks it legitimizes it so that other teams will hang them when they win it.
Exactly this ^

The only thing that could have made this MORE successful is if the Bucks didn't choke or it was Lakers vs Leprechauns.

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here’s my state of the Sixers long post. If you don’t like it, well fuck you and just scroll on by.

So at the quarter pole of the season, I’m pleased with Nick Nurse ball. They have the best net rating in the league right now. The ball moves in this offense which if nothing else makes for more entertaining basketball for me to watch through a regular season. I love my guys but Harden/Embiid pick and roll pick and pop every time down the floor can become boring as fuck.

I see why everybody used to rave about Nurse and his defensive schemes. His team defensive rotations seem to be easy for the group to take to and based on recent comments, Nick only has about 50% of the package installed so far this season. Life is different when you actually have some long and athletic wings on the court.

Joel Embiid seemingly has quietly become the team’s best playmaker. He used to make guys better because of his gravity on the court attracting people to him. But this season he came in with a goal to be a playmaker. His 6.6 assists per game is easily a career high. Turnovers are up a tick from the past few years and he has to value the ball better. He’s starting to get that feel for when he should score and when he should facilitate now. He’s gotten much better at taking what the defense gives him. At the same time, this is still regular season Embiid. He won’t be able to actually prove shit until we get to the playoffs.

Maxey has taken a step forward again. He’s got to adjust to the physicality he’s being played with. League officials don’t believe he’s earned a fair whistle yet but he has to keep going to the hole. He needs to get better at drawing contact in such a way where he finishes and he gets calls. His work as the floor general is evolving. 6.7 assists per game to only 1.4 turnovers per game. He’s always going to score. He needs to take that next step where he’s aggressive for all 38-40 minutes he plays. His speed and Embiid’s size together in dribble hand off and flip action has been incredible putting pressure on the defense. Joel needs him to add better quality pick and roll pick and pop game. He’s not going to be a Harden level decision maker but he can be better with this. They need to unlock that Embiid elbow jumper Joel has made into a high percentage spot for him.

After a hot start, Tobias Harris is an enigma again. He’s become woefully inconsistent. When he’s going, he’s a really efficient third option. He’s gonna fuck around and get traded though if he doesn’t back to the 16 points on 9 shots a game guy.

The spare parts are finally presenting like a team that’s built for fit. Melton gives them a 40% three point shooter and solid perimeter D. Batum is a glue guy I’ve grown to love. Pat Bev is a great energy guy. I want RoCo to take Marcus Morris minutes. I want to see BBall Paul given more minutes alongside Embiid playing the dunker role. I don’t know why Jaden Springer’s been buried. It seems like every time Nick goes to him, he provides good minutes and he’s arguably the best on the ball defender they have. And Kelly Oubre gives them some needed scoring off the bench and he’s a better defensive piece than I gave him credit for.

The piece this team lacks is Caruso. He would be my number one target leading up to the deadline. I’m willing to send multiple first round picks to make it happen. The Sixers need one more wing with the ability to guard and they need secondary ball handling for Maxey off minutes and in the playoffs I think you need two ball handlers on the floor for much of the game. I think Melton is best off the bench because I don’t really love his handles. Caruso provides both things in one move. It’s a great contract and you still hold on to Harris 39 million in expiring contracts for this summer for them to shop and tweak again out of the playoffs seeing what this group needs more of. The recent reports on Lavine scare the fuck out of me. Dude is not a fit and it’s a horrible contract. I am thinking Lavine has a 10-15% of actually making the group better. That’s a low percentage swing on a guy you’re married to with the cap for the next three seasons after this one. LaVine addition fucks your whole promise of cap to spend this summer.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.
For those who don't want to read the book, I'll tell you the ending:

Loss in 5 games to the Celtics in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

:humble:

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, on the road and coming off the tournament, I figured they'd lose this one by double digits. But they kept fighting back and gave themselves a chance to win.

But then fucking Dante Exum decided to be what everyone thought he'd be back when he was coming into the league, lol

Lakers consistently wandering off the 3 pt shooters even as the Mavs continue to hit those open threes. Frustrating.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is exactly why Lacob wanted to two timelines. But he underestimated Curry's greatness and wasted some prime opportunities to win. He was seeking longevity instead of being Elite for a shorter period of time. The Warriors staff loved Haliburton and Lamelo higher, yet rumors are they were that Lacob wanted Wiseman. Just imagine where we are if we drafted either of those guys instead.

But more so, Klay and Draymond have earned some of the leniency with the 4 championships they've given to us. But that leniency is wearing a bit thin these days.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warriors offered klay 2/48 prior to the season starting

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While it's smart to note the franchise value (a lot of that is from building their own arena with their own money which is used all year long for A list shows), and that being the reason they don't care much about luxury tax, I'm not sure that's why they aren't making big changes (yet)

First of all, they still might this year. They literally had a championship parade 18 months ago. Last season was not great but they still won a playoff series. It's only this year with all of these things really coming to a boil that the idea of moving on is a thing.

So I don't think it's reluctance, more like they are only now getting to the point where that's something to consider. And the franchise value is unlikely to suffer much until Steph is gone and/or they are terrible. Getting rid of Klay and Wiggins (for example) isn't going to tank that. Even then, the value is the arena and location and real estate and all of it