• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2022 - 2023 Offseason Thread

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also saw it noted that deGrom will be younger when his contract is up with us than JV is now. Big factor to me.
But Eph, DeGrom has been hurt a lot, and if he's getting hurt a lot at a younger age now, then the future isn't so bright. In the last 3 seasons, Verlander has started 65 games while DeGrom sits at 38. That number alone concerns me about Sir De and not at all for Verlander.

I'm not being pessimistic toward DeGrom and if fact, the Rangers signing him is a HUGE plus for the organization, if for no other reason, perception. And it sure seems like Mr. Young is hell-bent on changing that.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Eph, DeGrom has been hurt a lot, and if he's getting hurt a lot at a younger age now, then the future isn't so bright. In the last 3 seasons, Verlander has started 65 games while DeGrom sits at 38. That number alone concerns me about Sir De and not at all for Verlander.

I'm not being pessimistic toward DeGrom and if fact, the Rangers signing him is a HUGE plus for the organization, if for no other reason, perception. And it sure seems like Mr. Young is hell-bent on changing that.

think your math is a bit off there. JV only started 1 game total in 2020-21. Plus 28 starts in 2022 puts him at 29 starts over the past 3 seasons (excluding the postseason).

deGrom does come in at 38 starts over the same time frame.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Certainly JdG's inury history is important, but between CY, Bochy, and Maddux all now in the fold, I have faith that everything was considered when making this decision.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NY media all glowing and yes it is less risk but with a game 7 on the line give me DeGrom. The alpha of alphas

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NY media all glowing and yes it is less risk but with a game 7 on the line give me DeGrom. The alpha of alphas
There was a time when I would gave been thrilled with Derek Holland in a Game 7, but alas, it fell to another.

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is literally nothing ownership and CY could do right now that would surprise me. Nothing. 2 years ago I never would have dreamt we would finally be rid of JD, brought in an All-Star manager and pitching coach, and splashed hundreds of millions on Seager, Semien, and deGrom.

So they could sign Rodon or Senga and I wouldn’t be surprised at all. They could sign both. They could sign both AND Judge. They could trade the farm system for Corbin Burnes. Or Alcantara. Or Reynolds. These fantasy baseball moves that they’ve been making are the stuff of pipe dreams for Rangers fans, so I think the sky is the limit at this point. I’m not sure what got into Ray Davis, but whatever it was, it definitely seems like he is suddenly about winning now at all costs.

So they might as well go all-in at this point. It might not work, but there’s no sense in half-assing it at this point. This might all blow up in their faces, but it’s re-energized the fan base and given everyone a break from the last 5 years of horrid mediocrity.

So yes JD was fired and too many like your self he needed getting rid of. I have been a JD supporter albeit not a Nolan hater so this stings a little
However there is a lot more energy in the room now. And it does appear the owners pockets are still opening up. Do think JD had a tendency to undersell which doe not generate excitement.

IMO CY has the salesman in him to bring players in here and had to be instrumental last season too. he is selling everyone the future of the Rangers and even media is noticing although the East Coast crowd are becoming haters

So yes it was time to get “tired” JD our a a fresh voice in and have to think we are not near done yet

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a time when I would gave been thrilled with Derek Holland in a Game 7, but alas, it fell to another.
Time to move on. We will never succeed unless we do this

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don’t think clubs like the Rays, Guardians and Royals are already plotting how they can take advantage of these changes to steal 200 bases and apply relentless pressure on the defense, you’re not paying attention. And what’ll make that that possible? Fast guys!

2022 MLB #1 in stolen bases - 128 Texas Rangers...

Uncle Siggy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Mike Maddox can convince him to back off the velocity just a notch to put less stress on the arm/shoulder he might not get injured as much and be able to go a bit deeper in the game. DeGrom is a lot like Greg Maddux in that he has pinpoint control, just a lot more velocity...

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone interested in trading for Sean Murphy to upgrade our catcher position?

Kelleyman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone interested in trading for Sean Murphy to upgrade our catcher position?
If the price is right for sure it then I think we need a guy like Alfaro as back up due to his arm.

Senator_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Also from Stark:

WHAT’S CHANGING: What? Baseball is changing the size of the bases? Yeah, it is. After decades of bases that were 15 inches square, the 2023 bases will be 18 inches square. Why do we care? Because second base now will be 4 1/2 inches closer to both first and third base than it used to be. You’ll never notice — but the base-stealers of Planet Baseball will. … And that’s not all they’ll be wired into. In a related development, the pitch-clock rule will also help base-stealers. How? Because the pitcher can stop the clock only twice by stepping off or making a pickoff throw. After that, it’s an automatic balk — unless he throws over a third time and the runner is out. … So imagine the size of the leads after that second pickoff attempt. What’s the over/under? Thirty feet?

WHAT IT MIGHT MEAN: Wouldn’t it be awesome if the stolen base became A Thing again? Well, unless everyone is wrong, that’s about to occur. Check out how these rule changes affected base-stealing in the minor leagues in 2022. It’s wild.

STOLEN-BASE ATTEMPTS PER GAME

Minor leagues — 2.83
Major leagues — 1.36

Let’s explain what those numbers really mean: If major-league players start trying to swipe bases at the same clip we saw in the minor leagues in 2022, it would give us a stolen-base attempt rate we haven’t seen in the major leagues in over 100 years.

Now, that’ll never happen. But here’s what is going to happen: If you’re a free agent and you can fly, you’re never going to look more attractive to some teams than you’ll look this winter.

If you don’t think clubs like the Rays, Guardians and Royals are already plotting how they can take advantage of these changes to steal 200 bases and apply relentless pressure on the defense, you’re not paying attention. And what’ll make that that possible? Fast guys!

But now it doesn’t take much imagination to see all of that changing dramatically once teams figure out how to take advantage of these rules. And you’d be amazed by how much time clubs are spending this offseason trying to quantify the new value of speed.

“I’m very interested in the base-running impact of the pitch clock and the bigger bases,” one exec said. “You know, historically, the difference between the most valuable base runner in the game and the least valuable base runner has been narrower than that gap in pretty much any other skill. The difference between the best and worst defenders has been way bigger, for example. But I wonder if we’ll see a larger range of base-running variance than we’ve seen in the past. We’re going to find out.”

“This makes catcher throwing more important than it’s ever been,” one exec said.

So which available catchers might benefit on that front? Well, it’s a great reason to call the A’s about trading for Sean Murphy, whose 1.89 second pop time on throws to second base ranked second to only J.T. Realmuto this year.

But if that doesn’t work out, here are the free-agent catchers with the best pop times. Don’t you wonder how much arm strength factors into their 2023 employability? We do!

Jorge Alfaro — 1.89 seconds
Gary Sanchez — 1.93
Christian Vázquez — 1.94
Austin Hedges — 1.95
I could be wrong but I thought I read that second base is being moved back a little so there will still be 90 feet between all the bases.

Also I understand the clock change is going to have an impact on somebody like Perez who has to deliver a pitch with nobody on within 20 seconds. He averaged 23 seconds last year under those conditions.

One last, I think the stat in the minor leagues showed that averages only increased 8 points for players who didn’t have to hit against the shift anymore.

armadillooutlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3