• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read something from some not so credited/reliable sites....but I felt that I had to share regardless.

Lakers Secretly Reach out to Phil Jackson Again | Yardbarker.com

With the latest round of rumors circulating that Dwight Howard doesn’t want to return to the Lakers because of the current head coach, our sources have informed us the Lakers are quietly figuring out a way to end Mike D’antoni’s tenure, and replace him with Phil Jackson. “The Lakers have asked Phil ‘hypothetically’ if the job opens up, would he become available to coach one more time. Phil is basically saying he’s too old for hypotheticals, and they should call him again when the time is right.” said our source. I think Phil needs one last run, so as a fan of the NBA, I’m hoping Dwight once again gets his way.

Again, Yardbarker is really not credible/reliable, but GOD I pray that someone eventually realizes that Dwight is out if Dantoni is around. I was all ready to accept that Dantoni was here to stay and thought that the Ryan Kelly pick was even more proof of that. I still feel this way until Adrian Woj. reports this story...but this "story" is making the rounds across the net so I thought I'd share. I'll just expect the worse and hope for the best.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Kold, I saw the same story. I'm thinkin': WTF!!! Why all the freakin' drama? If you want Phil, bring him weeks ago and settle this thing you freakin dumbass Short Buss!!! I mean really. First the low-rent pleading with billboards and then this article that has the makings of a bunch of clandestined backroom bullshit. What on the planet is this knucklehead doing??

At any rate, I suppose will know in a couple of days whether all of this is just Hollowod BS or not. Stay tuned eh?

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea Kold, I saw the same story. I'm thinkin': WTF!!! Why all the freakin' drama? If you want Phil, bring him weeks ago and settle this thing you freakin dumbass Short Buss!!! I mean really. First the low-rent pleading with billboards and then this article that has the makings of a bunch of clandestined backroom bullshit. What on the planet is this knucklehead doing??

At any rate, I suppose will know in a couple of days whether all of this is just Hollowod BS or not. Stay tuned eh?

this gets crazier every day. was listening to ESPN radio yesterday and they were mentioning how it's actually Jeannie Buss who's got the charge of the organization, but stays out of basketball operations. and if that's TRULY the case she could've squashed this a long time ago. it IS PJ who's got a ring on her finger, so this whole thing's kinda crazy if you ask me..

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya CL67. If that is the case, then what the hell. Have a little meeting with Jimmie and let him know that his figure-head status is still safe and that there is going to be some changes. AND then hire Phil and get on with signing Howard and turning this franchise back to an assemblance of its former self.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that yardbarker isn't the most credible of sources, but I will say that the response attributed to Phil sounds like a "Phil" response!!

We can only hope!!

As for drafting Ryan Kelly!! He's supposed to be a very good 3 point shooter. While that would definitely be good in a D'Antoni offense, a post oriented offense like the triangle also makes good use of 3 point shooters.

Remember, one of the issues with the Lakers in the last couple of seasons under Phil was that they were average at best on 3's!!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the phrase "quietly end Mike D'Antoni's tenure". WTF does that even mean? I suppose everyone just wakes up one day and Phil is head coach and no one even raises an eye brow.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see PJ coach the Lakers again, but I'm not sure he is physically capable of the rigors of coaching a complete season. I don't think the Lakers need a coach, even PJ, who can only coach home games, for example. If there is any question about PJ having health issues, then look for someone else.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see PJ coach the Lakers again, but I'm not sure he is physically capable of the rigors of coaching a complete season. I don't think the Lakers need a coach, even PJ, who can only coach home games, for example. If there is any question about PJ having health issues, then look for someone else.

I think any of us with half a brain knows the Lakers screwed up by not hiring Brian Shaw(thanks again, Short Buss). hoping that also doesn't come back to bite us...

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shorty is over his head and :lame:. As far as Jennie running the show, if that were true, why isn't Phil or Shaw the coach right now:wtf2:. It is a mess in Lakerland and it is time for the "poison pill to go" bye bye Howard:nod:

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a couple of tweets from a couple of Laker insiders sort of debunking the Phil story.

Now the 2nd tweet is sooo PC. We know Dwight wants Dantoni out, he just doesn't want to take the heat of getting another coach fired.

Last edited by a moderator:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point Kold, I don't know what to believe and furthermore I care even less. This has become a media circus of the highest order. I'll wait to after this idiot is out of town and signed somewhere else to continue anymore discussions on a complete egomaniac who couldn't hit consistent free throws if his life depended on it!!

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't remember where I read it but it was implied that D'Antoni hasn't been allowed to hire assistants yet because LA is keeping the option open of dumping him if need be

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers would look more foolish/desperate then ever if they fire D'Antoni now when they have had since mid May to make a change.
Unless Howard tells them it's the only way he stays, which he said he wouldn't do, then why bother now?

Davwy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers aren't going to fire D'Antoni unless is looks like they can get Dwight. They aren't Cleveland or Orlando where they will just toss it out there.

Both Phil and the Lakers are to proud to look like they have egg on their face when it comes to the higher of Phil. The Lakers don't want it to look like the D'Anotni only to have PJ turn down coaching job. At the same time, Phil Jackson doesn't want it to appear that he asking for the coaching job from the Lakers by answering their hypothetical question first. Do, I understand that little dance.

And the Lakers don't want to solidify Phil telling them "no" before going after Howard, or else, they would lose that carrot in the wooing process.

Everyone has to calm down when it comes to the headlines. Rumors get tossed out and repeated. Everyone a journalist now, so might as well wait til the negotiations begins. But remember, the Lakers play this game of brinkmanship all the time. When Kobe was threatening to go to the Clippers, the Lakers had no back-up plan. They had already traded away Shaq and if Kobe wanted to walk, fine. The Lakers didn't have a star player to woo Kobe to stay.

And before that when they got Shaq. The Lakers traded away their Center Divac, to make room for Shaq. Shaq could have resigned with Orlando for more money. Though, Orlando didn't offer him more, because they thought it was true when Shaq said it wasn't about money. The Lakers had no back-up plan with Divac gone. And he had been groomed to take Kareems place.

So, here we are again.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers aren't going to fire D'Antoni unless is looks like they can get Dwight. They aren't Cleveland or Orlando where they will just toss it out there.

Both Phil and the Lakers are to proud to look like they have egg on their face when it comes to the higher of Phil. The Lakers don't want it to look like the D'Anotni only to have PJ turn down coaching job. At the same time, Phil Jackson doesn't want it to appear that he asking for the coaching job from the Lakers by answering their hypothetical question first. Do, I understand that little dance.

And the Lakers don't want to solidify Phil telling them "no" before going after Howard, or else, they would lose that carrot in the wooing process.

Everyone has to calm down when it comes to the headlines. Rumors get tossed out and repeated. Everyone a journalist now, so might as well wait til the negotiations begins. But remember, the Lakers play this game of brinkmanship all the time. When Kobe was threatening to go to the Clippers, the Lakers had no back-up plan. They had already traded away Shaq and if Kobe wanted to walk, fine. The Lakers didn't have a star player to woo Kobe to stay.

And before that when they got Shaq. The Lakers traded away their Center Divac, to make room for Shaq. Shaq could have resigned with Orlando for more money. Though, Orlando didn't offer him more, because they thought it was true when Shaq said it wasn't about money. The Lakers had no back-up plan with Divac gone. And he had been groomed to take Kareems place.

So, here we are again.

Understood.
But why wait until now?
Jackson is a better coach whether Howard stays or not.
Why not just find out if he wants the job or not, and then just hire him if he does?
You act like they need to try to find a way to keep it some sort of secret that wont leak out if he says no.

It shouldn't be that hard. He is sleeping with his would be boss.
Seems like a lot of unnecessary drama to me.

wlk3

Me and the guys
Hoopla Cash
$ 168,223.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood.
But why wait until now?
Why not just find out if he wants the job or not, and then just hire him if he does?
You act like they need to try to find a way to keep it some sort of secret that wont leak out if he says no.

I believe he said it would be an only if type of a situation... Phil isn't coming back to rebuild we all know this... So he would be asked if Dwight resigned, with Dwight knowing that if he resigned they would bring back Phil... At least that's what I think he was saying...

bluepigpen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2:The free throw wizard is a turd and should be flushed to Texas or where ever. This guy is no gamer, just a whinner and will only cause the Lakers to suffer through cap and salary for years.:gaah:Let the drama queen:pout: go and lets get back to basics in the years to come. I do look for a lean season to come and with Nash the only one on the books, rebuilding can happen quickly. Come on Shorty:noidea: get a clue:confused2:

Davwy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood.
But why wait until now?

You're missing my point. In the negotiations, you always want something you can offer the player to stay. One thing the Lakers have to offer is the hope that Phil Jackson could take over as coach and that will make things better. As it stands now. They don't have Phil, there is that possibility. If they asks Phil, and he's tells them no right now, the Lakers take away that thing they have to offer to keep him to stay.

Now, knowing the Lakers, they will probably fire D'Antoni in the middle of next season, anyway. And they can always imply that to Howard in their last meeting. And Phil can come in and save the day. Or Howard may want him now. But one thing Howard doesn't want is to look like he got a coach fired like Orlando did with Van Gundy. And Howard end up looking bad. If they fire D'Antoni, it would still look like Howard got him fired. If you wait until they season has started, the Lakers can fire him under the guise that his style of play doesn't match the team's talent.

That Lakers are sending a group to talk to Howard in the meeting: Mitch, Jim Buss, Kobe, Steve Nash and I don't know if there be a Kareem or someone. And maybe Jeanie. But so far that's the team. Notice who's missing. D'Antoni. Normally your head coach is part of the whooing.

Rolln300

"Let It Be"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all a huge mess, Dwight is a whiner, Dontknowi sucks and Buss is an incompetent moron. They need management first, someone that understands how to build a team. They need a coach secondly that understands how to use the players he has and not just run a system that he thinks works because he doesn't understand how to adjust or do it any other way and thirdly, it really doesn't matter if Dwight stays or goes, he isn't that good a player. He doesn't know how to lead and cries when he has to listen. The whole mess is like a bunch of little high school kids with huge ego's saying I am better than you and we are going to do it this way because I am in charge but it's all your fault if it doesn't work.