• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Super-Twos: Pearce & Jones

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Biertempfel is reporting that both Steve Pearce and Garrett Jones will be Super-Twos, and thus eligible for 4 years of arbitration starting with the coming season. He also speculates that, as a result, both might be non-tendered and become free agents.

Personally, I wouldn't be disappointed to let Pearce go. I've been a Pearce fan in the past, but he's had enough chances without performing very well, that his window of opportunity is about closed, anyway.

Jones, on the other hand, is a useful player, at least against righty pitchers, and would be OK as part of a 1B platoon or OF depth.

It seems unlikely that Lee will be re-signed, given that he will probably want more money and/or years than the Pirates will be willing to give. (I don't see re-signing Lee as an especially good move, anyway, unless he'd be willing to settle for something like 1 year at $5 mill. Even at that, given his age, recent injury history, and declining performance, there's a significant risk of an Overbay-like-redux.

At any rate, if Biertempfel is right about the Bucs dumping Pearce and Jones, we have further reduced options to fill the gaping hole at 1B. Maybe the good news is that the Pirates are forced to give Matt Hague a chance at first base, and he proves to be an early-Sean-Casey-like performer on offense.

Pearce, Jones get Super Two - Bucco Blog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would tender Jones and cut Pearce loose, as well. Jones can play in the outfield and at first, and he has some pop. Pearce is a really good defensive first baseman, but he just hasn't hit all that well and has way too much injury history.

Hague's a righty, so maybe they can platoon him and Jones and see what they have? Or perhaps they'll move Alvarez to first and sign a third baseman or something.

I guess we'll see.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno

I've read several reports (haven't researched it myself) that Hague has pretty consistent reverse platoon splits. If that's true, a platoon of Jones and Hague might not work so well.

BTW, Biertempfel just repeated in today's article his speculation that Pearce and Jones will be non-tendered. His additional speculation about whom the Pirates may be targeting at catcher is equally scary. Ramon Hernandez (2.0 WAR) seems the best option to replace Doumit and Snyder who combined for 2.5 WAR in limited action. 2011 WAR for the others: 1.3 for Barajas, 0.5 for Varitek, and 0.1 for Laird. So..... even the best option represents a downgrade.

At any rate, holes appear to be growing in the Pirate roster for 2012..... and the outlook seems increasingly bleak.

Quiet offseason likely looms for Bucs - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Fortunately (from my perspective at least), Langosch at MLB.com does NOT list Jones as a non-tender possibility.

First base, catcher top Pirates' offseason wish list | pirates.com: News

Your last line ("I guess we'll see") definitely resonates.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pearce is a no brainer.

I would be shocked if they get rid of Jones, hes only looking at like 2 million or so.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones might be a non-tender candidate next year, not this year.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pirates announced that they outrighted Brian Burres, Kevin Hart, Brandon Wood and Steve Pearce to Triple-A to create 40-man roster space. All four players can now elect free agency. Wood and Pearce would have been arbitration eligible for the first time this offseason, and though neither player projected to earn even $1MM, the Pirates decided to cut them loose instead of tendering contracts.

From mlb trade rumors. Didnt figure these bums deserved a thread of their own.

I cant remember having this many open roster spots ever.. and it doesnt look like we are done either.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pearce will probably be a non-roster invitee, Jones should stay he is a useful left hand hitter this season. Hague and Jones at 1B wouldn't be a bad thing but Hague is yet to face Major League pitching so that is too huge a question mark going into a team that is full of them everywhere.
1B, SS, 3B, C, RF - I like Pressley but still not sold on him/Tabata for that matter. I think they need to get full seasons in. Then the SP's are huge questions with all the young talent getting a chance.