• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suicide Squad (2016)

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it tonight, and I gotta say, it is almost exactly what I was expecting when I first saw the trailers way back when. A mindless mess of a movie that completely missed the mark it was trying to hit... But still somewhat entertaining.

I agree with most here that the Entrantress was a very bad villain for this movie. They really didn't even need a villain of any substance. Instead, show more back story. Show more character. Make a war flick out the movie.

Why was Croc, Boomerang or Katana even there? Crocs entire contribution was throwing the bomb. The Seals actually detonated the bomb that killed the brother. He was just a distraction. Boomerang? He threw a drone so they could see that they needed to take out the big guy. Other than that, useless. Katana just dropped her sword at the perfect spot for Harley to pick up later. Pointless. Deadshot, Harley and Diablo were the only SSers that even had to be there.

HATED Mr J. I understand the "three Joker" theory, but I just don't buy it here. This take was too close to Ledger's Joker to really be viewed as a reincarnation of the Romero Joker, IMHO. This was just a colorful emo clown. Hands down, the worst of the 4 live-action Jokers so far (not counting Gotham yet).

Overall, though, it was somewhat fun, in its mindlessness. I would give it a 5.5/10.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plenty of other villains could've worked. Mr Freeze would've made sense:

1. Allows them to reboot the villain after they botched him with Arnold
2. Backstory involves a corporation screwing over a guy trying to save his family. Ties in directly with multiple characters.
3. El Diablo's power would be relevant and necessary so they could do the same plot angle with him

I really think the villain is where the movie becomes unraveled. They had the right cast. Heck, even the Joker would've worked as a villain.

The only problem in a group action flick today is if your bad guys are human, you either:

1. Get an R rating
2. Reduce the action

Think back to avengers 1 (Alien Chitauri), avengers 2 (robots) Guardians (Alien Kree)... It's tough to do a large group of people and show off how overpowered they are fighting a bad guy force made up of hundreds of pawns and avoid an R rating scene. You can kill off a few guys here and there, but Justice League isn't going to be able to kill off 300 human henchmen working for Lex Luthor.

So either you fight an equal force with a lot fewer deaths (think Xmen fighting each other), you fight off a bad non-human force (Lord of the Rings), or you take the R rating (punisher, Blade, 300 etc).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw it tonight, and I gotta say, it is almost exactly what I was expecting when I first saw the trailers way back when. A mindless mess of a movie that completely missed the mark it was trying to hit... But still somewhat entertaining.

I agree with most here that the Entrantress was a very bad villain for this movie. They really didn't even need a villain of any substance. Instead, show more back story. Show more character. Make a war flick out the movie.

Why was Croc, Boomerang or Katana even there? Crocs entire contribution was throwing the bomb. The Seals actually detonated the bomb that killed the brother. He was just a distraction. Boomerang? He threw a drone so they could see that they needed to take out the big guy. Other than that, useless. Katana just dropped her sword at the perfect spot for Harley to pick up later. Pointless. Deadshot, Harley and Diablo were the only SSers that even had to be there.
I agree with Croc, Boomerang and Katana all being wasted but this was very easy to see coming. Will Smith was going to get screen time regardless because he is Will Smith and Harley Quinn was going to get screen time because she is Harley Quinn. Katana actually seems legendary in the world of being tacked on. Token Asian ninja that probably loses in screen time in melee fighting to Harley Quinn. No one even wonders about the sword that takes Souls? Boomerang actually seemed like a funny character which is sad they also tacked him on. Croc being tacked on is understandable - his costume was as bad as a character from Big Momma's House. That said, in the world of diverse casts, tacked on seems to be the new normal. I still haven't figured out why Melissa McCarthy was even in Ghostbusters.

HATED Mr J. I understand the "three Joker" theory, but I just don't buy it here. This take was too close to Ledger's Joker to really be viewed as a reincarnation of the Romero Joker, IMHO. This was just a colorful emo clown. Hands down, the worst of the 4 live-action Jokers so far (not counting Gotham yet).
Jack Nicholson basically plays himself as the Joker. I mean, I guess thats better but its not very creative. I don't think this Joker was anywhere near Ledger's Joker. Leto was very uncomfortable to watch as opposed to Ledger who was just evil in every way.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally saw it. There is more hate for this movie than there should be. Definitely a disappointment as the plot was all over the place. Deadpool, HQ, and Flag were watchable. Waller was done very well. Davis was excellent as was Robbie. The rest were not developed at all. Still, I have seen much worse.

Montecristo Jones

Metrosexual fascist sophisticate
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a muddy disappointment like others have said - Robbie did a good job portraying a psychotic nymphomaniac, other than that it was a dud and no characters stood out except the Joker - I wasn't turned off by the Joker's few appearances like others were, but he wasn't central to the plot. The villain was likely the biggest disappointment.

Allegedly a lot of it was cut to avoid the R rating and "may" be released uncut on Blu-Ray; supposedly the Joker got much more airtime in the director's cut (which was one of the biggest complaints I read from fans).

Montecristo Jones

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Is going to turn Margot Robbie into a superstar. I'm talkin' Jennifer Lawrence level here.
She's not a star, she's just eye candy with a margin of acting talent.

To be honest, I dont see a LOT of similarity between the two.

sure, they are both SUPER-hot, blond and blue-eyed.

But Pressly has a round face while Robbie has a long, square face. Robbie looks MUCH more elegant than Pressly. Pressley's smile is very toothy while Robbies is more tight-lipped.
That kind of negates the "SUPER-hot" statement.

(Same with blond and blue-eyed for that matter in my humble opinion, that makes me think "innocent" more than seductive)

Last edited:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's not a star, she's just eye candy with a margin of acting talent.

That kind of negates the "SUPER-hot" statement.

(Same with blond and blue-eyed for that matter in my humble opinion, that makes me think "innocent" more than seductive)
What negates the "SUPER-hot" statement?

Montecristo Jones

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest, I dont see a LOT of similarity between the two.

sure, they are both SUPER-hot, blond and blue-eyed.

But Pressly has a round face while Robbie has a long, square face. Robbie looks MUCH more elegant than Pressly. Pressley's smile is very toothy while Robbies is more tight-lipped.
What negates the "SUPER-hot" statement?
Round and long square faces for one.

Scapegoat

The iron never lies
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I felt like it was basically a movie about Harley Quinn and The Joker. It was ok nothing great. If she wasn't so hot it would suck.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, I can see why there was so much hate given to this movie. I'm like 1/3 into this movie and we're still introducing characters with no actual storyline other than we want to team them up. With the cast playing all of these people, I think Ike Barinholtz may have the most screen time at this point. Still 2/3 yet to go, I hope they stop with the introductions and very thin backstories and get to a plot point/threat soon.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was 9.99 on amazon prime, I figured 5 bucks more than renting you might as well just get it. Not bad, too busy, too many characters. Then I watched Civil War on Netflix and it was equally rushed, forcing in new characters, would have made far too much sense to have grouped together to fight the 5 winter soldiers than just arresting a mere mortal.

I think these guys are just trying too hard to set up the next movie than taking enough time on the one they are working on.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhere in Will Smiths contracts it states that he has to be the super cool bad ass ruthless killer and still be the moral compass of the movie.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, he wont kill women or children, I guess that's enough. I was surprised that Affleck got no mention in the cast, I slowed it down and checked a few times. So it was either not him in the bat suit or the follow up does not count. It seemed like batman would be the leader of the wonder woman family out there, but her movie is supposed to come out first isnt it?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it last night. Wasn't as bad as most reviews gave it, but it wasn't great either.

Leto's Joker might have been the most over-hyped bullshit in cinema history tho.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched it last night. Wasn't as bad as most reviews gave it, but it wasn't great either.

Leto's Joker might have been the most over-hyped bullshit in cinema history tho.

I was really thinking about this. Considering the characters they had and their roles. It seems like they maybe needed these stars on set in makeup for about a week during filming. Made me think of Bill Murray in Caddyshack where he just showed up a few days, did his shit and went along his way while Chevy Chase was there for the duration. It was disappointing with the Joker though. I liked the cartoon joker smile face on his hand, but that was about it. I definitely did not understand his grill.

BigDGarciaFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if so, then it will be a super........

57867733-waste-of-time-3d-rendering-metal-text-on-rust-background.jpg

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope it is true... But i hope they don't pick such a grand villain... Have more Harley and more deadshot...

TJL

Patriarch
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really enjoyed the first one.

Needs a Harley nude scene though

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol, I am so behind the times, but I finally watched it; the movie was good. It coulda been a lot better, but it was decent enough. Robbie was clearly the star, with Will Smith actually doing a nice 'mentor' role.

Gotta say I liked Leto's Joker a lot. Here's the thing: in both comics and movies, continuity really doesn't count for shit anymore. I think that is a shame, but that's the way it is; and it does free writers from certain restrictions, so there's that.

Seems to me that Leto's Joker is a fine younger version of Ledger's. I can easily see the character progression there, and I find it interesting.