• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suicide Squad (2016)

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The latest articles I've read seem to indicate the drop in weekend two shouldn't have been unexpected and it's looking closer to 67%-68%, which is basically what DC movies seem to do in weekend two. What would bum me out if I'm WB is that Sausage Party is the movie derailing Suicide Squad and not something that might actually be entertaining. This one is still making plenty of money and the WB is still committed to making this thing work, so I don't think fans that are desperate for DC on the big screen have to worry about WB giving up anytime soon.

Sausage Party looks fucking great!?! WTF!?

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sausage Party looks fucking great!?! WTF!?

I've heard from friends that the movie is basically just a kids movie with a lot of cussing & some food related sexual innuendo.

I am still on the fence. But I was also on the fence about The Secret Life of Pets & ended up liking that movie.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard from friends that the movie is basically just a kids movie with a lot of cussing & some food related sexual innuendo.

Yeah, I know some people that really wanted to like it and left disappointed. Apparently they lean heavily on the vulgar language and after a while the allure of food cursing wears off.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also a giant food sex orgy at the end of Sausage Party, I just hope all the stupid parents who take their kids to see it have to suffer through as their 7 year old learns what an orgy is.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? Mindless, pointless, creating a giant cloud of destruction in the sky over a city, and makes an army of easily defeated drones. Sounds like Ultron, The Chitari, and Malikith to me.

4/10 for me. No comic book movie fatigue here. I love these things, but this was just bad.

I wanted to see it again before I commented but I still agree with the Enchantress being a better villain than other ones we've seen. While yes her plot was the same as others what sets her apart is that she had a reason for doing what she did.

Superhero movie writing 101 says you have to the villain try and blow up a city/world and create an army so I can't knock them for that because that's just how they do these movies and both DC and Marvel are subject to it. But what sets The Enchantress apart from people like Ultron who wanted to end the world after existing for 2 days or in Avengers 1 where things just suddenly went to hell suddenly The Enchantress had a reason. She and her brother were worshiped as gods 6,000 years ago and now all of sudden they are slaves so I get why they want to get back all their power. While the execution wasn't as good as Avengers 1 I thought her motive was stronger.

The closest you can compare the Enchantress too would Apocalypse in the latest X-men and yet people overlooked a lot of that movies flaws and yet are crapping on this one. A lot of what didn't work in Apocalypse worked in this movie but it's very rare to find someone who'll admit that.

Hell even the plot of Deadpool was terrible and cliche as fuck but people got past that because the characters and jokes were spot on and I felt the same way coming out of this movie.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's also a giant food sex orgy at the end of Sausage Party, I just hope all the stupid parents who take their kids to see it have to suffer through as their 7 year old learns what an orgy is.

Any parent that takes their 7 year old kid to that shit ought to be publicly flogged.

I don't envision this happening.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any parent that takes their 7 year old kid to that shit ought to be publicly flogged.

I don't envision this happening.

I work as a bartender at a movie theater(I know not something you'd think exists) and you'd be surprised how many parents are taking their younger kids to see it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I work as a bartender at a movie theater(I know not something you'd think exists) and you'd be surprised how many parents are taking their younger kids to see it.

Some shitty parenting IMO.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that the Batman: Attack on Arkham animated movie is a better Suicide Squad movie if yall are interested.

Shaggy

Administrator
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is pretty bad parenting...

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard that the Batman: Attack on Arkham animated movie is a better Suicide Squad movie if yall are interested.

Well the story can't be much more of a mess, so I believe it.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you dissect this movie, then it is complete garbage. But I'd still give it an average rating because it is still entertaining.

Deadshot was the only bright spot for me. Harley Quinn was only a plus because sex sells. Aside from Rick Flag, all the other characters were useless. Jared Leto's Joker was a laughable mistake. The villains had a lot of potential but the way they were defeated was silly. Their minions were nothing more than fodder for action scenes, and never put up much of a fight. The plot was congested and had huge flaws. The movie was basically saved by a decent budget for cgi & a good dose of humor. An R-rating would have vaulted this into Deadpool territory, but sadly the PG-13 rating sort of sunk it.

Will probably never watch this again... 5/10

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The movie was basically saved by a decent budget for cgi & a good dose of humor.

Ironic, because according to reports, the dose of humor was a last minute injection and supposedly changed the entire movie.

Ah, Hollywood...

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to see it again before I commented but I still agree with the Enchantress being a better villain than other ones we've seen. While yes her plot was the same as others what sets her apart is that she had a reason for doing what she did.

Superhero movie writing 101 says you have to the villain try and blow up a city/world and create an army so I can't knock them for that because that's just how they do these movies and both DC and Marvel are subject to it. But what sets The Enchantress apart from people like Ultron who wanted to end the world after existing for 2 days or in Avengers 1 where things just suddenly went to hell suddenly The Enchantress had a reason. She and her brother were worshiped as gods 6,000 years ago and now all of sudden they are slaves so I get why they want to get back all their power. While the execution wasn't as good as Avengers 1 I thought her motive was stronger.

The closest you can compare the Enchantress too would Apocalypse in the latest X-men and yet people overlooked a lot of that movies flaws and yet are crapping on this one. A lot of what didn't work in Apocalypse worked in this movie but it's very rare to find someone who'll admit that.

Hell even the plot of Deadpool was terrible and cliche as fuck but people got past that because the characters and jokes were spot on and I felt the same way coming out of this movie.

I think it was better than the reviews after having seen it. Not great, not what I'd want out of a top comic movie, but not bad. I liked it more than the last Xmen.

Will Smith I thought was good, Margot Robbie was fine, and I didn't mind Leto. I thought his role as a secondary character was ok, definitely more than the "just a cameo" some reviews made it out to be. The rest of the group I didn't care one bit about.

The villian... Meh, seems like a rehash of the last X-men (someone lets loose the thousands year old baddie who used to be worshipped but since has been forgotten and was locked away, create the giant floating machine in the sky to destroy earth, and try to get the quasi bad guys to side with them). She wasn't bad, but done with that cliche and it felt almost identical to me. I liked her intro, after that, her and her brother were a mess.... She almost has me hoping for Lex Luthor again, which isn't good. I think why people are crapping on this one for the bad guy and not Xmen, is Xmen did the same exact bad guy first.

The fights kinda went downhill for me. First fight had me psyched, but then kinda ok, until that Enchantress battle where the final moment was really the only part of that worth anything (and how do you fail at CGI in today's movies???)

Nice use of music with it. Reminded me of guardians of the Galaxy in that respect (but not near the quality of movie otherwise).

It gave me a bit of hope for upcoming DC movies. Better than I thought. Take the bad guy from the last Xmen movie, add in some Deadpool humor, the Guardians of the Galaxy soundtrack and a bit of the darkness from the previous BvS movie. Nothing at all original to it though, seems like it was put together by a focus group.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rest of the group I didn't care one bit about.

It's easy not to care about the rest of the group when the movie it's self didn't care about them.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's easy not to care about the rest of the group when the movie it's self didn't care about them.

They started to I thought. The beginning when it was pushing in their backstories had me thinking that would be pretty cool. By the end it was like they were there to fit that perfect puzzle piece (oh look, we need to put this bomb underwater, hey we have an alligator man!) or taking their turn at throwing out a little joke. But to be honest... not sure that would have been any better (more of the other guys and less of Harley/deadshot).

I still would give it better than the reviews were, but can see that point when you are comparing it to the 2nd tier Marvel movies (deadpool, Guardians, Ant Man).

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why all the hate on this film? I didn't think it was great but far from awful. I did personally think Assault on Arkham was better, which is what this seems like it was based on. Could have done without all the witch crap but not a bad movie.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I feel like the big issue with the Enchantress is that it was the wrong type of villain for this type of movie. Suicide Squad is basically a Fast n the Furious movie and not a super hero movie. It really worked as a movie when it had the bizarre characters interacting with each other but it really failed once it started trying to be a super hero movie.

The Enchantress was big and flashy. You don't use your undercover evil squad against the Enchantress. You use Superman. You use Green Lantern. You use Wonder Woman even. They deal with flashy epic world destroying events. Suicide Squad should be dealing with Batman type stuff. Things in the shadows. Maybe even government corruption.

Harley Quinn finding her own special place in the Enchantress' world doesn't make any sense. The whole point was to make a world for meta humans. Harley Quinn cant even function as a human human so having her trick the Enchantress in the end is just...B movie laugh reel.

The Enchantress is one of the worst villains ever imo. I think there was a very good movie in there somewhere and the plot and writing really just didn't let it happen.

blue_suns

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel like the big issue with the Enchantress is that it was the wrong type of villain for this type of movie. Suicide Squad is basically a Fast n the Furious movie and not a super hero movie. It really worked as a movie when it had the bizarre characters interacting with each other but it really failed once it started trying to be a super hero movie.

The Enchantress was big and flashy. You don't use your undercover evil squad against the Enchantress. You use Superman. You use Green Lantern. You use Wonder Woman even. They deal with flashy epic world destroying events. Suicide Squad should be dealing with Batman type stuff. Things in the shadows. Maybe even government corruption.

Harley Quinn finding her own special place in the Enchantress' world doesn't make any sense. The whole point was to make a world for meta humans. Harley Quinn cant even function as a human human so having her trick the Enchantress in the end is just...B movie laugh reel.

The Enchantress is one of the worst villains ever imo. I think there was a very good movie in there somewhere and the plot and writing really just didn't let it happen.

Enchantress should have been saved for the Justice League Dark movie they're developing as that would have made more sense. I agree that was the wrong villain to use in the movie.

I think if they used a better villain and had a consistent tone throughout (either gritty/serious or fun/playful), this would have been a much better movie.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enchantress should have been saved for the Justice League Dark movie they're developing as that would have made more sense. I agree that was the wrong villain to use in the movie.

I think if they used a better villain and had a consistent tone throughout (either gritty/serious or fun/playful), this would have been a much better movie.
Plenty of other villains could've worked. Mr Freeze would've made sense:

1. Allows them to reboot the villain after they botched him with Arnold
2. Backstory involves a corporation screwing over a guy trying to save his family. Ties in directly with multiple characters.
3. El Diablo's power would be relevant and necessary so they could do the same plot angle with him

I really think the villain is where the movie becomes unraveled. They had the right cast. Heck, even the Joker would've worked as a villain.