• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars Viewing Order?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finished Sith and went right into R1. I decided to skip Solo since it really has no connection to anything. The Maul stuff is “big”, but is never mentioned again in any of the movies, so it really only serves to enhance the tv shows and is thus worthless in a movie binge.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, I think there is two different thoughts... If you have never seen any Star Wars before, then sure, you need to watch it in release order...

But once you have watched it before, the shock of Darth Vader being Luke's father, or Leila being Luke's sister are no longer surprising... so... Chronological makes most sense...

But then there is the FUN aspect... where I think watching Randomly would be best...

I also wonder, if people who did not grow up on the original trilogy, if they appreciate the new trilogies more...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished my rewatch binge today. I watched all movies except Solo. I actually didn’t mind Solo, it just isn’t needed in any way in a movie binge.

with all the movies somewhat fresh in my mind, here is my updated ranking...

1) Hope: Still the class of the franchise.
2) Empire: Very close to Hope. Still a classic.

3) Rogue One: It feeds so well into Hope, and it ties the prequels to the original trilogy pretty well.
4) Return of the Jedi: Childish? Sure. Teddy bears? Yup. But I was the right age for that stuff when I saw it, so it gets a pass.

5: Revenge of the Sith: They learned from the first 2 prequels and corrected course enough for a decent movie. Not perfect by any stretch, but it has its moments.

6: Force Awakens: Not original at all. But it planted lots of seeds that should be paying off in the next 2 movies, right? Right? RIGHT???
7: Attack of the Clones: The Clone Wars series may have 100% salvaged this movie.

8: Phantom Menace: Still bad, but compared to...
9: Skywalker: Such a mess. But compared to...
10: Last Jedi: Nothing redeemable. Absolute trash.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just finished my rewatch binge today. I watched all movies except Solo. I actually didn’t mind Solo, it just isn’t needed in any way in a movie binge.

with all the movies somewhat fresh in my mind, here is my updated ranking...

1) Hope: Still the class of the franchise.
2) Empire: Very close to Hope. Still a classic.

3) Rogue One: It feeds so well into Hope, and it ties the prequels to the original trilogy pretty well.
4) Return of the Jedi: Childish? Sure. Teddy bears? Yup. But I was the right age for that stuff when I saw it, so it gets a pass.

5: Revenge of the Sith: They learned from the first 2 prequels and corrected course enough for a decent movie. Not perfect by any stretch, but it has its moments.

6: Force Awakens: Not original at all. But it planted lots of seeds that should be paying off in the next 2 movies, right? Right? RIGHT???
7: Attack of the Clones: The Clone Wars series may have 100% salvaged this movie.

8: Phantom Menace: Still bad, but compared to...
9: Skywalker: Such a mess. But compared to...
10: Last Jedi: Nothing redeemable. Absolute trash.

So, if you're introducing your kids to the series, are there any worries about watching Rogue One before A New Hope?

My only concern is that the Vader at the end of Rogue One doesn't appear nearly as powerful in the next three episodes.
Big deal?
Or just roll with it?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, if you're introducing your kids to the series, are there any worries about watching Rogue One before A New Hope?

My only concern is that the Vader at the end of Rogue One doesn't appear nearly as powerful in the next three episodes.
Big deal?
Or just roll with it?
I don’t have kids, so that isn’t in my thought matrix, but...

There are some minor inconsistencies between R1 and Hope. But they are relatively minor. I think if you are looking to introduce someone to the universe, stick with release order. Empire really needs to be viewed as the 2nd film. Go with the chronological order if you already know the story and twists are not a thing.