• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

SportsHoopla decide my next car.

Center Ice

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,004.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CTS AWD, but they're starting to get pricey. I've had a CTS for a few years now and it's has proven itself to be hugely reliable!

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you, I have to have a back seat. If I didn't, Id already have this:
View attachment 83878

Porsches are finicky though. LOT of maintenance.

Old guy at my club has a '75 320sl he bought new and still drives as his primary car...red just like that. He actually got it repainted for the first time a few years ago. It has 360k miles on it and he said it's never had a major problem. Now that's getting your money's worth!

The new ones aren't as great and long-lasting as the oldies though. Just like boats and a lot of things, MB seemed to have peaked in the late 80s. If they made a car as heavy and over-engineered as a 560sel, it would cost $300k.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a cool looking rig and I can assure you that you will not find a rust free International (or a Wagoneer)
or a Wagoneer
or a Wagoneer)
from that era in any part of New England unless a big dollar restoration has been done.

Rust free Wagoneer?
I thought rust was initiated at the factory?

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The new ones aren't as great and long-lasting as the oldies though. Just like boats and a lot of things, MB seemed to have peaked in the late 80s. If they made a car as heavy and over-engineered as a 560sel, it would cost $300k.

My 2 ton, 10 year old S55 is of amazing quality to my eye. Truly. Attention to detail is everywhere.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I need a back seat to take the girls to school 3 days a week on my way to work. The mustang was just big enough to fit behind the passenger seat but not the driver's. Now I gotta take em' both and that's mostly why I sold the Mustang.

I don't really have a budget. But I like stuff way down the depreciation schedule because otherwise it's a waste....and nothing too nice or collectible because they'll sit outside everyday.

2 kids, I'd definitely be leaning 4 door as much as I like the Challenger (not the best curvy road sports car though). So Charger over that for me if I was in your situation (small kids become big kids quickly).

I will say I loved my speed 3. Buying used I might worry a bit about ricer mods/hard driving, but I've always been a hatch fan. Something along those lines? 4 door GTI, WRX, Focus ST types? Of course then you are talking potential reliability issues with a turbo motor, and of course premium gas for some of them.

Hmmm, any idea's on how those Pontiac G8's are going reliability wise? That's a nice 4 door where you can get some good power.

If you are looking at a Jeep unlimited... I love mine. Of course they do rate out bad for on road experience, off-roading, looks, depreciation are where they make their mark, had an Xterra before but didn't like the back seat doors. FJ maybe, but they have those half-doors.

Biggest thing on a recently used jeep. 2012. The first year they went from the 3.8 to the 3.6 motor. BIG bump in HP/TQ with (supposedly) better gas mileage. Drive them and the difference is noticeable right away.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 kids, I'd definitely be leaning 4 door as much as I like the Challenger (not the best curvy road sports car though). So Charger over that for me if I was in your situation (small kids become big kids quickly).

I will say I loved my speed 3. Buying used I might worry a bit about ricer mods/hard driving, but I've always been a hatch fan. Something along those lines? 4 door GTI, WRX, Focus ST types? Of course then you are talking potential reliability issues with a turbo motor, and of course premium gas for some of them.

Hmmm, any idea's on how those Pontiac G8's are going reliability wise? That's a nice 4 door where you can get some good power.

If you are looking at a Jeep unlimited... I love mine. Of course they do rate out bad for on road experience, off-roading, looks, depreciation are where they make their mark, had an Xterra before but didn't like the back seat doors. FJ maybe, but they have those half-doors.

Biggest thing on a recently used jeep. 2012. The first year they went from the 3.8 to the 3.6 motor. BIG bump in HP/TQ with (supposedly) better gas mileage. Drive them and the difference is noticeable right away.

I really liked the Grand Cherokee I test drove. A new one is still too nice for those damned crumb crunchers and milk spillers.

I test drove and closely examined an FJ Cruiser and was really surprised. People are asking big money for those. The 3 year old one I viewed was a piece of shit! They had galvanized bolts holding aluminum seat brackets - of course they were already corroding because of electrolysis. This FJ said it had only been in FL, but there was rust starting on the frame in several places. Maybe this guy drove in salt water or something...but this thing was in no way worth the $30k they wanted for a 3 year old SUV with 40k miles.
I guess that's why they call it an "FJ".....Fake Jeep.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really liked the Grand Cherokee I test drove. A new one is still too nice for those damned crumb crunchers and milk spillers.

I test drove and closely examined an FJ Cruiser and was really surprised. People are asking big money for those. The 3 year old one I viewed was a piece of shit! They had galvanized bolts holding aluminum seat brackets - of course they were already corroding because of electrolysis. This FJ said it had only been in FL, but there was rust starting on the frame in several places. Maybe this guy drove in salt water or something...but this thing was in no way worth the $30k they wanted for a 3 year old SUV with 40k miles.
I guess that's why they call it an "FJ".....Fake Jeep.

I've heard good things about the Grand Cherokee. My father in law runs a dealership and just bought one for his wife actually. I guess he keeps messing with her and starts it up for her when he's at work from his phone. The hellcat one's coming out in a year or so. Can convince the wife it's a practical car! lol

The regular Cherokee I worry about a bit. Have a buddy at work who's wife has one and she's had it in the shop with tranny issues 4-5 times in her first 6 months or so with it.

That is crazy about the FJ. I hadn't looked much into them but saw one, and wasn't fond of the half doors, so crossed it off my list a long while back.

I will say my Wrangler is the vehicle I don't plan on changing for a long long while.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hyundai Genesis is by far the best bang for your buck imo but there are a shit ton of options

The sedan is a solid car, but it's a semi-fuddy-duddy to drive, plenty of power, but don't push it too hard...much like the e-class benz...basically a family cruiser.

The Coupe with the 6MT...I like...I test drove it and like it a lot, but buying those new is not a great idea...a 2 y/o off lease is a far better bet on that car.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The sedan is a solid car, but it's a semi-fuddy-duddy to drive, plenty of power, but don't push it too hard...much like the e-class benz...basically a family cruiser.

The Coupe with the 6MT...I like...I test drove it and like it a lot, but buying those new is not a great idea...a 2 y/o off lease is a far better bet on that car.
The coupe is sweet. 3.8Track with 6 speed is the way to go. I'm torn on a purchase or a lease. More options,with a lease so probably the best bet

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The coupe is sweet. 3.8Track with 6 speed is the way to go. I'm torn on a purchase or a lease. More options,with a lease so probably the best bet

I have a g37 sedan and I really like it, but have been longing for a 2 door car. I've been researching MT coupes for about a yr now...test driven a lot of cars incl the 3.8...no track pkg though...for a man and machine driving experience for a daily commuter car...the Audi S5, 328i, and surprisingly the Caddy ATS are my top 3 right now. Unfortunately the ATS 6mt only gets the 4 cyl engine...torquey enough but sound like it's being flogged when you punch it hard.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern...like I mentioned...I do like my car so I'm not in a hurry... the Q60 '17 is supposedly coming out this fall...but I hear no 6 MT right away.

3.8 is a nice car...I would probably lease it unless you drive a ton.

Not a coupe, but a little car that blew me away...Ford Focus ST 6mt...idk Ford made a car like that....fun to drive.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a g37 sedan and I really like it, but have been longing for a 2 door car. I've been researching MT coupes for about a yr now...test driven a lot of cars incl the 3.8...no track pkg though...for a man and machine driving experience for a daily commuter car...the Audi S5, 328i, and surprisingly the Caddy ATS are my top 3 right now. Unfortunately the ATS 6mt only gets the 4 cyl engine...torquey enough but sound like it's being flogged when you punch it hard.

I'm kind of in a holding pattern...like I mentioned...I do like my car so I'm not in a hurry... the Q60 '17 is supposedly coming out this fall...but I hear no 6 MT right away.

Not a coupe, but a little car that blew me away...Ford Focus ST 6mt...idk Ford made a car like that....fun to drive.
Yep the ST us nice. I sell Hyundau, Ford and BMW so I've driven all 3. The Mitsubishi Lancer EVO is a sweet car too but that's a 4 DR.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 335i conv. I bought drives great when pushed a bit and is hushed in traffic. But it's so expensive...hard to compare to some others. I'd be tempted by the newer GT model 3 series they make now...with the hatchback. I don't know if they make it in a coupe w/ 2 doors.

I had a CTS for awhile and it was nice as well for less money. It was bigger and so didn't handle as well, but having a real back seat was good. If the BMW is worth $60k, the CTs is worth $40k...no more.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 335i conv. I bought drives great when pushed a bit and is hushed in traffic. But it's so expensive...hard to compare to some others. I'd be tempted by the newer GT model 3 series they make now...with the hatchback. I don't know if they make it in a coupe w/ 2 doors.

I had a CTS for awhile and it was nice as well for less money. It was bigger and so didn't handle as well, but having a real back seat was good. If the BMW is worth $60k, the CTs is worth $40k...no more.

335i is a sweet car...not a huge fan of turbo engines in general, but if you want that extra punch you don't get from the inline 6...this is the car...one of my golf buds has an M3.

The new CTS is nice...never driven it, but as mentioned...the ATS coupe is a nice handling, torquey car....I'm entering that empty nester stage but don't really want a true sports car...a Vette, 911, etc is not me...just a fun to drive, decent performance daily driver.

My design is to buy a two yr old CPO car and get an extra yr warranty.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep the ST us nice. I sell Hyundau, Ford and BMW so I've driven all 3. The Mitsubishi Lancer EVO is a sweet car too but that's a 4 DR.

Then you know them all too well....the ST was a pleasant surprise...I'm kind of grounded in a coupe at this point.

cerealboi

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,620.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some dude bought the Mustang last week. It was good just for driving a few miles over the causeway to work each day...3 of those days with little girlie in the back seat to preschool.

View attachment 78055

I'm out of ideas now. I liked the Grand Wagoneer for awhile. The mustang was nice for top down summer mornings. I've had Mercedes sedans and an SL, a Lincoln Blackwood...all kinds of shit. But nothing I look at lately appeals. Usually, I had something in mind or at least saw something that I figured I might like to try for awhile.

Got any ideas? I hate to have a car over 50k sit outside and depreciate to drive < 10 miles each day. But whatevs. Whatcha got?

If you have a short commute whatever car you get, you should lease.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
335i is a sweet car...not a huge fan of turbo engines in general, but if you want that extra punch you don't get from the inline 6...this is the car...one of my golf buds has an M3.

The new CTS is nice...never driven it, but as mentioned...the ATS coupe is a nice handling, torquey car....I'm entering that empty nester stage but don't really want a true sports car...a Vette, 911, etc is not me...just a fun to drive, decent performance daily driver.

My design is to buy a two yr old CPO car and get an extra yr warranty.

Caddys depreciate fast as hell the first 3 years. Well, so does the 3 series BMW. But old farts buy the CTS and ATS. Personally, I'd try to find one for sale a couple years old after being driven by a geezer. It'll be like new and half price.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Caddys depreciate fast as hell the first 3 years. Well, so does the 3 series BMW. But old farts buy the CTS and ATS. Personally, I'd try to find one for sale a couple years old after being driven by a geezer. It'll be like new and half price.

Spot on about the Bimmer 3/Caddy values (except the 3 series coupe MT are not easy to find...CPO cars stay up a little higher)...Lexus hold value pretty good actually...on the Caddy...the ATS I liked a lot...since I'm looking for a 6MT car...probably not many geezers will be ahead of me...lol.

The Audi S5 or the ATS V coupe 6MT are the top 2 cars on my list, and then get like a 5 or 6 y/o F150 to drive to work.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Spot on about the Bimmer 3/Caddy values (except the 3 series coupe MT are not easy to find...CPO cars stay up a little higher)...Lexus hold value pretty good actually...on the Caddy...the ATS I liked a lot...since I'm looking for a 6MT car...probably not many geezers will be ahead of me...lol.

The Audi S5 or the ATS V coupe 6MT are the top 2 cars on my list, and then get like a 5 or 6 y/o F150 to drive to work.

C'mon down. This is the used car capital of the Earth. No winter salt! Old farts crawl around for a couple years then sell. That is a nice looking car:

2015 Cadillac ATS 2.0T Coupe, Automatic, 5312 Miles ..cts xts sts srx
00i0i_fdvETVkjSZb_600x450.jpg

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Get yourself an E63 and it's no family cruiser.....